Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2017 NCAA Tournament

The potential Duke Killer on Troy is Jordon Varnado, who does not primarily play C but spends about 1/3 of his time there. 40% FT rate, top 500 in the country. He's also their best and most valuable overall player. Good rebounder, good shotblocker. Only a sophomore. I assume he will win Sun Belt player of the year as a senior. The Duke Killer threat here is not too worrisome.

There is some intriguing Duke Killer potential on Marquette, but not really. Their starting PG is a tiny junior, Andrew Rowsey. In Big East play, he had a 47% FT rate. He shoots 93% from the line, which is 4th in the nation. He shoots 45% from 3, which is 34th. What makes me less worried is that he only takes 10% of his shots at the rim, so I don't know how he gets fouled so much. Compare his shot frequency at the rim with the proven PG Duke Killers:

Bruce Brown 48%
Bryant Crawford 39%
John Gillon 36%
Shelton Mitchell 44%
Xavier Rathan-Mayes 30%
Dennis Smith 37%

Rowsey is mainly a threat from 3. A huge threat. But Duke's defense is tailored to stop a PG like him.

South Carolina has their key offensive player at the wrong position to beat Duke. Sindarius Thornwell, SEC POY, is a SF in the Matt Jones goldilocks zone. 6-5, 211. There is a minor Duke Killer threat at PF/C in Chris Silva, who only plays about half the game. His FT rate in the SEC was 70%. This is an awful offensive team overall, so it would be more about Duke's offense being able to score on their #3 overall defense.

The clearest potential Duke Killer at C in the entire bracket is Edrice "Bam" Adebayo on Kentucky. 88% FT rate over the entire season, which was good for #2 in the nation. 119 offensive rating, 20% usage. Top 500 in both offensive and defensive rebounding rate. An easy pick for Duke Killer at PG is De'Aaron Fox, also on Kentucky. Fox's 42% FT rate in SEC play was #19 in the conference. His assist rate of 28% in SEC play was #7 in the conference. 49% of his shots are at the rim. He hates 3s, and 3s hate him. I would guess that, among the top few seed lines, Fox is the Duke Killer to end all Duke Killers.

Even if Duke were to make a run to the Final Four, the dilemma for Duke fans will be whether to root for Kentucky or UNC in their near-certainty of an Elite Eight matchup. Do you root for a team that Duke almost literally has zero chance against head-to-head, in Kentucky, or do you root for UNC to make the Final Four? I think the easy answer is to root against UNC in that scenario, but what if it were in the game directly leading to Duke? Would we still be fine with Kentucky winning then, thereby ensuring that Duke cannot win the national title?

I think you root for Kentucky and UNC to go 6 OT's and have a bunch of people get sprained ankles.

The computers all seem pretty convinced that Duke will simply overpower Troy with offense. I always have a lingering worry that a team with bad defensive metrics got that way because it simply doesn't care.

Anyone else think that they really tried to stack the Thursday afternoon session with potential upsets? Which means the favorites (including MTSU) will probably all win.

deepdarkblue said:
fivethirtyeight also predicted a comfortable Hillary Clinton win.

They were way less bullish than Huffpost. The week leading up to the election, it was within the margin of error. But yeah, it's just a guess.

This is great. Sad he's retiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite bracket
1*PtUCY9Xai1c_q0Zmfmh0pw.jpeg

Line has settled higher at Duke by 20. Money has been split evenly the whole way. Over 70% are taking Troy straight up, though, at 20-1 odds. Duke straight up is 1-40, which is a terrible bet indicating Duke has a 97.5% chance to win. Real win probability is closer to 90%. In my opinion, 60%.

The most important results for Duke today are for Butler to stay alive (as UNC's only viable threat before the Elite Eight), for both Virginia and Florida to stay alive (to guarantee Villanova a decent Sweet Sixteen opponent), and for Wisconsin to beat Virginia Tech (resulting in a significantly stronger 2nd round opponent for Villanova).

With a UNC title looming, Villanova is the only top seed I'm willing to root against. Duke is 1-2 extra degrees removed from facing the other top seeds, so it feels more important for them to stay alive to ensure UNC has to play someone good at some point.

What about his last 16 minutes or so? Looked more like Hurley vs. UNLV in '90.

I didn't think that first 22 minutes was very impressive either.

Speaking of Hurley, seeing Tyler Lewis on the court for Butler was like an eerie dream. I remember debating whether we should recruit that dude seven years ago.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom