Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2018-19] Indiana through Texas Tech (at New York)

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Team RJ Barrett heads back home as the coaches devise more plays to get the ball to RJ Barrett.

INDIANA

57225c6852bcd020008bf949-750-563.jpg

ACC/Big Ten Challenge
Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 9:30pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Kenpom Information

Indiana: overall 20, offense 21, defense 24
Duke 82, Indiana 72 (Duke 83% to win)

Keys to RJ Barrett

This will be a good opportunity for RJ Barrett to break his personal collegiate record of 26 shots in a game, which he achieved against Kentucky. He nearly tied his high against Gonzaga, with 25 shots, but unfortunately couldn’t get there despite tremendous shot-taking efforts at the end of the game. Indiana has the 28th fastest average possession length and is sub-200 rank at avoiding turnovers. RJ Barrett could potentially jack it up 30+ times in this one.

STETSON

220px-Stetson_Univ_Seal.svg.png

Saturday, December 1, 2018, 7:00pm ET, ESPN2
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Why?

HARTFORD

the-hartford.png

Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 7:00pm ET, ESPN2
Cameron Indoor Stadium

They’re really bad, too.

YALE

a3cd1a63317c4b16bf7891462b14cd39.jpg

Saturday, December 8, 2018, 5:30pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Not terrible but still bad.

PRINCETON

a3cd1a63317c4b16bf7891462b14cd39.jpg

Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 6:00pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Worse and super slow.

TEXAS TECH

Ameritas Insurance Classic
Thursday, December 20, 2018, 7:00pm ET, ESPN2
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Kenpom Information

Texas Tech: overall 12, offense 43, defense 3
Duke 75, Texas Tech 69 (Duke 69% to win)

RJ Barrett Watch

After four experimental games against bad opponents, the Duke coaching staff surely will have discovered many more ways to have RJ Barrett shoot the ball. The goal against an extremely strong Texas Tech defense, which protects the rim just about as well as any team Duke will face this season, will be to set up RJ Barrett for an incredible amount of 15-35 foot jumpshots. Texas Tech is not only great at protecting the rim, but also great at slowing a game down to eliminate transition opportunities. We should see a lot of pounding the rock for 10-20 seconds by RJ Barrett as he searches for the best midrange jumper to step back into. Although his raw shot volume won’t be as high this game, make no mistake, this could be the most amazing display of shot-taking by RJ Barrett to date to finish out 2018 for Duke basketball.

The player in the photo is Jarrett Culver, a homegrown Lubbock kid who is dominating possessions for Texas Tech as a sophomore this season and doing very well in the role. He’s no RJ Barrett from a shot-taking perspective - Culver is only at 29% usage and 29% shot percentage this season - but the contrast in effectiveness between two similarly built players should be interesting. Culver shot 38% on high volume from 3 last season, and is shooting 47% from 3 early this season.

I know that this is an unacceptable place to ask a serious question about Texas Tech, but how much of that Kenpom defense rating is attributable to last year's defense?

I'm asking for a friend who *might* be going to MSG for the game.

My favorite thing about the coming stretch is that it is laid out in such a way - bounce-back game against a decent opponent, followed by a run of pointless gimmes and ending with another tough test - that it is perfect for working on necessary shit and gauging progress, yet we all know with absolute certainty that nothing constructive will be done.

Then we get 16 days off and then Clemson (will win at home)

Looking at Indiana... What sticks out the most is their love for 2s, and I assume these are mostly layups and other smart 2s close to the basket. They’re 3rd in the country in 2pt FG% and almost out of the top 300 in 3pt attempt rate. These numbers aren’t misleading due to weak competition - Indiana did well from 2 against the two decent defenses they’ve gone against (Arkansas and Marquette). They don’t like 3s and they don’t need to take them to score efficiently. Duke’s usual no-3s defense will be mostly worthless in this game.

Romeo Langford is having a decent freshman year, with some of the expected ballhogish negatives that come with perimeter OADs, but Indiana’s best player right now is clearly 6-8 senior Juwan Morgan. He’s great at everything a big man should be great at today, including making 3s in a small sample size this season. He spends some time at center, so Indiana should have no problems when Duke goes small. If Duke stays big, Morgan should be able to expose Bolden.

My attempt to add a little bit more about Morgan: he is very quick for a power player, with an excellent 1st step. Certain to be a tough match for Bolden, as you mention.

Not sure if this year's #s are a continuation, but last year IU's point guard Green was turnover prone. Tre could be an important factor with his D if that remains the case.

how are we forgetting about Josh Mcroberts brother, Zach(captain for IU). He's the exact type of teammate you would want. Defense first, works hard / hits the open 3(not to mention he's giving me tickets to the game ;) ) go duke!

They outrebounded Duke by a couple, which is a bit disappointing. Still held IU under 40% shooting while playing the bench for long stretches in 2nd half.

Except for two dunks, the second half was an abortion I wish I had not stayed up to watch. First half was nice overall.

A full eight of them were on lazy passes. Two were on bullshit "offensive foul" calls.

Sleepwalking through the second half when up 25 or whatever doesn't bother me. Defensive rebounding is getting real concerning though. We're never gonna be top 100 in it as long as K is here but we came into the night #231 (which is diluted by poor competition against Army and EMU) and gave up 41% OR to a team that isn't really great at it. This really needs to get better by conference play.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom