Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2019-20] #1 Duke vs Georgetown (New York) (2K Empire Classic)

What will be the result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It also feels like there is room for internal improvement. We'll see if it happens, but hopefully not being able to lean so heavily on one guy helps in that regard. Moore can cut down on his turnovers. AOC can make a shot. Hurt can do literally anything.

LOT of room for improvement. Unlike last year, when we played the perfect game on day one. Hurt and Cortez will come around. Hoss being a great rebounder and IMO very good/great defender and Cassius being a poor man's perimeter Zion are hugely important things we didn't think we had three weeks ago. Theoretical ceiling may not be quite as high, but I think the potential for a consistently high level of play relative to the CBB world might be better this year than last. Which is amazing to me.

I think it's fair to point out that allowing a 10-0 run, spanning from the 5 minute mark through under a minute, isn't ideal, and was likely a function of fatigue. This was just the #60 KP team, and we almost blew it at the end. Which is fine for a November game and all, but I worry that our defensive intensity won't be able to carry us for forty minutes like it has been if we're basically playing five guys come ACC season.

Just feels like you're holding them to the standards of a typical Duke team, and it doesn't make much sense to me.

I think it's fair to point out that allowing a 10-0 run, spanning from the 5 minute mark through under a minute, isn't ideal, and was likely a function of fatigue. This was just the #60 KP team, and we almost blew it at the end. Which is fine for a November game and all, but I worry that our defensive intensity won't be able to carry us for forty minutes like it has been if we're basically playing five guys come ACC season.

This was also our second game in two nights and Georgetown was very physical and pressed almost the entire 2nd half. I'm not really worried about it.

Sounds a lot like a fanbase typically does when they have a Ewing Theory team but they don’t know it for sure until the end.

Phase 1: Underestimation. Thinking your team is going to have a down season because a star or multiple stars departed and you’re left with a likable but seemingly “low ceiling” team.

Phase 2: Surprise. The pleasant, but guarded, realization that your team might actually be good, cohesive and more enjoyable to watch without those stars from last season.

Phase 3: Denial. Here is where this unpleasant, jaded, know-it-all, simply bad message board currently sits. @mepanchin @NCCUknow. Denying what you’re seeing with your own eyes, denying the objective numbers being put out by reliable indicators like Kenpom and Sagarin, denying the potential greatness of your Ewing Theory team so much that you can’t even enjoy it while it’s happening.

Phase 4: Acceptance. This is where you go next, probably around midway through the ACC schedule. Unfortunately, you have a national championship contender to root for. Poor Duke basketball fans. You’ll have to live with another riveting March Madness where the minimum objective is a Final Four. Get over it.

Phase 5: Championship. This is where Big Vern is taking you, despite your constant whining and doting over days past with Zion, RJ and Cam, who you somehow forget were underachieving losers. Big Vern is following in the footsteps of legends like Tee Martin, Stephen Strasburg and Kemba Walker.

I’d say “enjoy the ride” but I know none of you will. You’ll be miserable all season, like you always are.

Still can’t believe this message board ostracized and chased off @Twentytwenty for being “too optimistic” and “too correct.” What a joke.

Brilliant reference to Tee Martin. Like Tee, Vern follows a GOAT level talent and does what Zion/Peyton could not do.

It also feels like there is room for internal improvement. We'll see if it happens, but hopefully not being able to lean so heavily on one guy helps in that regard. Moore can cut down on his turnovers. AOC can make a shot. Hurt can do literally anything.

LOT of room for improvement. Unlike last year, when we played the perfect game on day one. Hurt and Cortez will come around. Hoss being a great rebounder and IMO very good/great defender and Cassius being a poor man's perimeter Zion are hugely important things we didn't think we had three weeks ago. Theoretical ceiling may not be quite as high, but I think the potential for a consistently high level of play relative to the CBB world might be better this year than last. Which is amazing to me.
One thing I forgot to mention: we can get more minutes out of Carey. While I'm all for depth, I'm also for having our best player on the floor as much as possible. This is assuming there isn't a big dropoff in his energy and production the longer he plays. But I think getting him up to 30 mpg by March isn't too ambitious.

Off white. Even though he was clearly on.

Typed that and quickly realized that has the be Jack's nickname. Jack 'Off' White. Obscene, but relevant to his ability to put the ball in the basket.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom