Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2019-20] #3 Duke at Clemson

outcome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A loss like this on the road in January after a string of wins is ordinarily part of the script, even for recent Duke championship teams. So from that perspective, not to worry.

On the flip side, those losses are typically to tournament or near-tournament teams that are more commonly in the 30-50 range in Kenpom. I don't know if it's still OK to take these losses to the #60-90 type teams that we're playing all month even if it otherwise follows the January script. Maybe it is, and we wouldve lost these games in all the other years. Just don't know because the conference is never this bad.

Maybe some of you will start to appreciate what Gonzaga does every season.

What's dumb is we now need Clemson to finish in the top 75 for this to be a Quad 1 loss that would look the same on a one-page resume as a loss to an actual good team. Clemson was 93rd entering tonight so I assume they're now at least in the low 80s.

The good news is that this loss and the post-mortem has given us something to do other than think about the Democrats

For jinx purposes I will not start the Lville thread.

Duke January losses seem to always come in pairs though. Lose the home game to the Cards and I bet our ACC title odds fall to 50 or less%

While we turned it over at crucial parts of the game, our TO rate tonight(20.4%) wasn't necessarily an aberration when you consider the fact that this is the most turnover prone Duke team in over a decade(18.3% coming into tonight's game which is the highest since 2008.)

The biggest factors that actually deviated from the norm, was obviously defense (Clemson put up a season-high 64 EFG%) and rebounding - specifically Clemson limiting Duke to just one shot in essentially 90% of our possessions.

Last edited:
Imo it begins and ends with the turnovers. We could have survived that shooting without a huge TO differential in their favor, which is the opposite you would expect from the teams going into the game.

Force feeding it to Hoss was a mistake but there were not that many capable scorers out there so I can't be too mad. Wish more action had been run to get our shooters more looks.

Edit: didn't realize the TO differential ended up us +1. Maybe after the pressing? Then I guess chalk it up it should have been well more in our favor and they just shot better than expected from deep (albeit mostly good looks)

Last edited:
Just a bad loss. Those two goldwire layups ended up being a lot bigger than I thought they’d be.

Never thought I’d say this but our best lineup is Tre, Ass, Moore, Baker, Carey. The fact that it was close and missing two of those 5 gives me some hope.

Despite the repetition, I don't really feel like you've made the argument for Baker at 4, as opposed to White, very well.

Despite the repetition, I don't really feel like you've made the argument for Baker at 4, as opposed to White, very well.
If White plays like he has the last two games then it is hard to argue that. Do I trust that he'll keep that up? I don't. Baker is an elite shooter and I think having that on the floor, where you can't give him an inch really opens everything up for the other 4 guys.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom