Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] ACC Tournament

Who will win the ACC Tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Devilsforlife said:
Duke improved to 12-6 against UVA since Bennett became the coach with the win. And it’s really 13-5. Larranaga has given us way more fits than Bennett. (Thread reply)
Because Larrañaga is a far better coach

I have all the respect in the world for Larrañaga and think he might be a top 5 coach in all of college basketball. Certainly top 10. So it's doubly annoying to me that Bennett gets all the flowers Larrañaga should be getting.

Also, pronounce his fucking name right. It should be Larran-YAY-ga because of the tilde. I don't think I've heard a single human say it that way.

I have all the respect in the world for Larrañaga and think he might be a top 5 coach in all of college basketball. Certainly top 10. So it's doubly annoying to me that Bennett gets all the flowers Larrañaga should be getting.

Also, pronounce his fucking name right. It should be Larran-YAY-ga because of the tilde. I don't think I've heard a single human say it that way.
I have been aware of him for over 15 years and never noticed the tilde until this post.

I have been aware of him for over 15 years and never noticed the tilde until this post.
He was on Terry Holland's staff at UVa in the 70s and 80s, which is the last period of extended success the Hoos have had on a national level.

ACC coaching back then was next level.

Everywhere I look, fanbases across the nation are expressing this hopelessness over matching up with the longest, most athletic lineup in college basketball. Duke has become a respected boogeyman - a refreshing change from when they were the soft, easy out in March that overachieved all regular season. Pretty silly that the Committee is going to reward some 11 seed by making Duke their 6, while a 13 gets UVA as their 4.

Last edited:
Just looked up Larrañaga's resume on Wikipedia and he's a badass. Born in the Bronx and played HS ball at Archbishop Malloy, which is one of the all time great HS programs in the country. Second leading scorer in Providence history. Drafted to play in the NBA, but chose to go straight into college coaching, joining Terry Holland's staff at Davidson. IIRC, Holland arrived at Davidson shortly after Lefty Dreisell left to go to College Park.
After learning the ropes with Holland at Davidson and UVa, and then doing a few stints at Midwestern mid majors, he ended up at George Mason where he had that epic run to the final 4 in 2006, beating UNC and UConn on the way.
He was a major thorn in Ks side for years, exploiting Ks overplay like a surgeon. I have mad respect for the guy.

I read his post-game comments after Duke beat Miami. No excuses or whining. Just congratulating us and saying we outplayed them.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom