Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Jacksonville

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In total, I'm extremely pleased. I liked what I saw.

Ball screen defense was clearly a mess in the first half, but was so much better, as was the entire defensive execution, in the second half. I thought it was pretty easy to tell the entire defensive scheme and concepts were much different from what we'd see with K, which is a welcome surprise.

Flip was surprisingly good IMO. He's got to do a better job squaring off the ball handler on those ball screens. He was letting the ball handler get to his hip, at which point everything broke down. He seemed to have the right idea, but couldn't quite get himself turned like he needed to.

Surprised Grandison didn't have a bigger offensive output. He looked a little unsure of his role. Be interested in seeing how that plays out.

As I said above, I'm not terribly worried about Proctor. He missed shots he'll make. His free throws looked effortless and pure.

What I loved more than anything (and there was plenty) was the offensive creativity. A lot of screen the screener action late, and we created some things out of those sets. Using some legit pick and pop stuff, much more ball screen action offensively.

The rest (Mitchell, Roach, Young, Blakes) are pretty obvious and agree with the consensus. Mitchell = impressive, Roach = better, but still needs to clean some things up, Young = man crush, Blakes = playable (at minimum).

A lot to like in Dukes first game with Jon at the helm! The defense was really solid tonight.

The bright side started with Mark Mitchell. Dude has a crazy versatile offensive package. He’s definitely a one and done. He seems like he will be a consistent scorer for Duke and most likely be in the top 3 all season in PPG. I was pretty shocked to see he only had 1 rebound(off his own miss for an AND1). Also had 2asts/1st /1blk/0TOS. Gotta love his motor.

The reason he didn’t rebound much was because FLIP had a quiet double double(Mando didn’t😅) I think we’ll see him for a 2nd year. He’s super talented no doubt but Kyle is still pretty raw on both sides of the ball. On his 19th Bday Big Flip had 10pts/12 rebounds/3Asts/2Blks

Young with a perfect game from the field with the grown man moves going 6-6 for 12 pts/7 rebounds/3 steals/2 asts. He’ll be the perfect backup blend to DLive When he’s ready to go!

Roach 4-7 from 3 for 16pts/6 rebounds/4Asts
It’s really awesome to see the growth of JBlakes! Plays ALL OUT up in your grill every second he’s out there. 8 pts on 2-3 from 3. 3 rebounds. 1asts/1stl

Grandison struggled with his shot but still had 5 asts/5 rebounds. He brings a lot to the table. When his shot starts falling look out!

Proctor really struggled. And while I’m still a big believer in the kid-that’s 3 straight bad showings in a row with the scrimmage/exhibition and now tonight. I think he’s made 1 basket in 3 games. He still played solid D. We’ll see how he progresses. Many believe he will be a one and done.

Can’t wait to see how Lively plays on Friday hopefully!! Then adding Whitehead soon…alot of talent, this team will be a really solid 9 deep!
In what world was Proctor bad in the exhibition? He had 7/3/3 with no turnovers while playing outstanding defense. I think he doesn't know quite what to do off the ball, but that's because he shouldn't be off the ball.

Are we actually doing a 9 man rotation of guys getting double digit mins? Maybe Blakes falls out once Whitehead is back. Without Blakes you have something like this (maybe I am allocating too many mins to bigs):

Roach- 32
Whitehead- 32
Proctor- 25
Grandison- 20
Mitchell-26
Lively- 25
Flip- 20
Young- 20

I would guess the 10-12ish Blakes minutes come at the expense of Proctor and Grandison? Might need CMon to help.

Ahh my bad Rome: Looking back he had 1 terrible game (tonight) 1 bad secret scrimmage, and 1 decent exhibition against a D2 school. I hope we can see some consistence sooner rather than later but you’ll have that with young players especially in a reclass. It’s great to see his defense has been solid so far to start. Ultimately I think he ends up coming off the bench when DW comes back. Either way: Proctor should be a solid contributor for Duke this season.

Are we actually doing a 9 man rotation of guys getting double digit mins? Maybe Blakes falls out once Whitehead is back. Without Blakes you have something like this (maybe I am allocating too many mins to bigs):

Roach- 32
Whitehead- 32
Proctor- 25
Grandison- 20
Mitchell-26
Lively- 25
Flip- 20
Young- 20

I would guess the 10-12ish Blakes minutes come at the expense of Proctor and Grandison? Might need CMon to help.
Yeah, I think we go 9 deep. I don't see how any of those guys don't play. I might actually have one of the bigs be more likely to fall out than Blakes. Unless we plan to stagger Proctor and Roach and play Whitehead a bunch of minutes at the 2, it sure seems like backup point guard minutes are there for Blakes.

Roach- 32
Whitehead- 32
Proctor- 25
Grandison- 20
Mitchell-26
Lively- 25
Flip- 20
Young- 20

Very talented and balanced. If the 2 studs DW and DLIVE are going to play like top 10 picks I’ll take this 9 man rotation up against any team in the nation!

On the negatives, I'm pretty unimpressed with Grandison's defense. Maybe losing 30 pounds over the offseason for no good reason was not helpful?

I think Proctor looked fine. He missed a bunch of shots which can easily be attributed to nerves or just a bunch of other factors. The bigger problem I noticed was he isn’t fully comfortable with the physicality, especially once he got into the paint, but he will be able to adjust to that with more experience. It’s the big picture versus the short term results. People were killing Filipowski for most of the first half but I thought he also looked fine, even before he flashed in the final minutes of the half. There’s a lot more to the game than just making shots, especially when we are using a one game sample size in the first game of a players career.

Edit: long term the biggest issue for Proctor to become the best version of himself at Duke is if he is able to co exist with Roach. Both are ball dominant. It will be up to Scheyer, the staff and obviously the two of them to make that relationship work. That is a bigger concern than anything that happened in the opener versus Jacksonville.

In total, I'm extremely pleased. I liked what I saw.

Ball screen defense was clearly a mess in the first half, but was so much better, as was the entire defensive execution, in the second half. I thought it was pretty easy to tell the entire defensive scheme and concepts were much different from what we'd see with K, which is a welcome surprise.

Flip was surprisingly good IMO. He's got to do a better job squaring off the ball handler on those ball screens. He was letting the ball handler get to his hip, at which point everything broke down. He seemed to have the right idea, but couldn't quite get himself turned like he needed to.

Surprised Grandison didn't have a bigger offensive output. He looked a little unsure of his role. Be interested in seeing how that plays out.

As I said above, I'm not terribly worried about Proctor. He missed shots he'll make. His free throws looked effortless and pure.

What I loved more than anything (and there was plenty) was the offensive creativity. A lot of screen the screener action late, and we created some things out of those sets. Using some legit pick and pop stuff, much more ball screen action offensively.

The rest (Mitchell, Roach, Young, Blakes) are pretty obvious and agree with the consensus. Mitchell = impressive, Roach = better, but still needs to clean some things up, Young = man crush, Blakes = playable (at minimum).

that was about what’s I was expecting from Grandison. I think he’s going to be in a Matt Jones lite role where he’s expected to be a strong and versatile defender that can bang open threes. In this offense, Grandison will benefit from better spacing and ball movement much more than Jones did, so he will likely have more assists and open lanes to drive and get easy buckets. Probably get more in transition too.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom