Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Jacksonville

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Team looked versatile enough on both ends, despite playing two 7-footers at times. Really liked the "let's not just run horns" offense.

I know Blakes' game has some rough patches, but it is nice (at least early) to see him part of core rotation and making solid contributions. Upperclassmen improving, like college hoops used to be about.

I'm gonna keep gassing up Blakes all over Duke Forum.

Blakes gets over screens better than anyone in years. It's nice watching players actually dig in and work on defense for a change. He and Young aren't the prettiest players, but they play absurdly hard every single second.

Also, Mitchell is like a gigantic robot built from scratch to play basketball. I think he stretches to about twice his normal height when he fully extends.

Those corner threes were also real nice to see, and I think 19'9 might be the exact range of his funky wrist-only shot. He's actually got very nice touch out to that point, but looks like he has to push it a bit if he's any further back which throws everything off.

I actually wish we'd be a little more intentional about distinguishing between good and bad threes for the so-so shooting bigs we often have. I think a big reason why Carter and Bagley shot such good %s was they basically only shot spotups from right on the top of the key or in the corners, which are like the intro versions of the skill.

Mark and Flip looked great on both ends. When either sat down, the drop off was palpable.

On the other end of the impact spectrum, Proctor looked much closer to a freshman Jordan Goldwire/Jaylen Blakes than Kyrie Irving/Tyus Jones god tier. Premature hyperbole aside, I expect him to eventually settle into at least the Frank Jackson/DJ Steward tier of frosh guard.

Jacksonville was limited to an offensive rebounding rate of 20%. Obviously, it's too early to make any declarative statements. Nevertheless, Scheyer's defensive rebounding philosophy appears it may be an understated change from K's. It will be an interesting development to follow throughout the season.

Also, Mitchell is like a gigantic robot built from scratch to play basketball. I think he stretches to about twice his normal height when he fully extends.

Those corner threes were also real nice to see, and I think 19'9 might be the exact range of his funky wrist-only shot. He's actually got very nice touch out to that point, but looks like he has to push it a bit if he's any further back which throws everything off.

I actually wish we'd be a little more intentional about distinguishing between good and bad threes for the so-so shooting bigs we often have. I think a big reason why Carter and Bagley shot such good %s was they basically only shot spotups from right on the top of the key or in the corners, which are like the intro versions of the skill.
His FT shooting looks great. This is usually a good shooting indicator, but in his case it may be less so because of his mechanics. I think you're right that 19'9" is about the upper limits where his flawed mechanics are effective.

Our second half d was really good. We stopped them from offensive rebounds and did a decent job with our defensive rotations.

On the defensive side, Ryan Young plays so hard which is nice to see. Flip does a really nice job rotating, I just wish when he goes into the paint he would be more aggressive and try to just dunk. Mitchell wasn’t quite where he needed to be on rotations but I think he’ll figure it out.

I was weirdly ok with Proctor struggling, I do think he’ll be fine eventually but hope it also gives more credibility to him sticking around for another year. I do think though it will be important for him to progress to give Jeremy some rest - Blakes was solid but I don’t trust him as the primary ball handler.

This team feels way deeper than past teams without huge drop offs with whoever subs in.

it was weird to burn Reeves redshirt

Blakes gets over screens better than anyone in years. It's nice watching players actually dig in and work on defense for a change. He and Young aren't the prettiest players, but they play absurdly hard every single second.

Same for Proctor. He was playing his ass off defensively, particularly when it came to fighting around screens.

Offensively I thought he missed shots he'll make. I'm not terribly worried on that end.

A lot to like in Dukes first game with Jon at the helm! The defense was really solid tonight.

The bright side started with Mark Mitchell. Dude has a crazy versatile offensive package. He’s definitely a one and done. He seems like he will be a consistent scorer for Duke and most likely be in the top 3 all season in PPG. I was pretty shocked to see he only had 1 rebound(off his own miss for an AND1). Also had 2asts/1st /1blk/0TOS. Gotta love his motor.

The reason he didn’t rebound much was because FLIP had a quiet double double(Mando didn’t😅) I think we’ll see him for a 2nd year. He’s super talented no doubt but Kyle is still pretty raw on both sides of the ball. On his 19th Bday Big Flip had 10pts/12 rebounds/3Asts/2Blks

Young with a perfect game from the field with the grown man moves going 6-6 for 12 pts/7 rebounds/3 steals/2 asts. He’ll be the perfect backup blend to DLive When he’s ready to go!

Roach 4-7 from 3 for 16pts/6 rebounds/4Asts
It’s really awesome to see the growth of JBlakes! Plays ALL OUT up in your grill every second he’s out there. 8 pts on 2-3 from 3. 3 rebounds. 1asts/1stl

Grandison struggled with his shot but still had 5 asts/5 rebounds. He brings a lot to the table. When his shot starts falling look out!

Proctor really struggled. And while I’m still a big believer in the kid-that’s 3 straight bad showings in a row with the scrimmage/exhibition and now tonight. I think he’s made 1 basket in 3 games. He still played solid D. We’ll see how he progresses. Many believe he will be a one and done.

Can’t wait to see how Lively plays on Friday hopefully!! Then adding Whitehead soon…alot of talent, this team will be a really solid 9 deep!

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom