Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Jacksonville

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
resize

Monday, November 7, 7:00pm ET, ACCN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

A new era begins for Duke against a classic Cinderella. Jacksonville has been picked to finish 2nd in the ASUN Conference (fka Atlantic Sun), and they check at least a few of the boxes for a low-seed midmajor you don't want to draw in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament:
  • Old and experienced - Their top 7 players are 5 seniors and 2 juniors. This includes 2 6th year seniors, a 5th year senior and a 5th year junior. Some of these guys were playing college basketball when Dereck Lively was in middle school.
  • Dominant point guard - Kevion Nolan is by far their best player. 61% of his shots were 3s last season, and he made 37% of them. This was actually a down shooting season for him, after 44% 3pt over the prior two seasons. He also shot 91% ft last season. The obvious choice defensively is to chase him off the 3pt line and make him finish at the rim; he shot only 42% from there. The problem with that strategy is his playmaking; he had a 28% assist rate and 2.9 A/TO last season. There's a realistic scenario in which this guy looks like Steph Curry against an unseasoned Duke defense and puts up an efficient 25 and 8 in a stunning upset to spoil Scheyer's debut.
  • Brutally slow tempo - They averaged the 3rd fewest possessions per game in the country last season, at under 62. Any random bad luck for Duke is going to be magnified.
Overall, Jacksonville's defining trait is elite rebounding (top 30 in both OReb and DReb last season), which should show everyone very quickly whether the emphasis on rebounding, or lack thereof, under Scheyer will be any different than under the previous Duke coach.

A loss here would not be the worst loss of the past several seasons, judging by the expected Vegas line, but it might be the most concerning due to the conclusions that are going to be jumped to about Scheyer's abilities.

Big delta between Kenpom and Torvik. Torvik sees them as basically a 14 seed type team, rated 117 overall. Ken has them around 170.

Sagarin likes them even less, at #211. But even using Sagarin, the spread would only be around 20 for this game, assuming Whitehead and Lively being out negates the usual 3 points for home court, which I think is optimistic; those guys would likely be worth more than 3 points above replacement combined in this game.

JFC.

Also, I forgot how miserable basketball season makes me. I've been anxious all day.

Reactions: aiw
I know we're only 4 minutes into the game but first impression is Flip does not look like a one and done.

ACC Network is still ass. Can’t wait to see our games on BTN

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom