Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Pitt

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Though didn't get really good until 10 mintes to go or so. Lively missed a layup with 12 to go. Worst layup miss ever. Game over. Then he kind of took over for 3 minutes and they were off

Is this is what it's like to be a UNC fan? Team is struggling, a key player (Roach) gets injured, which clears the way for another player to shine (Proctor) and they never look back?

This team's identity is tough defense, offensive rebounding and hitting a high pct of FTs.
They will never be a good shooting team this season.

But that means officiating is a huge variance for them, hence why they struggle on the road and will all year. If they aren't allowed to crash the boards with physicality, or don't get fouls called to shoot FTs, they won't score enough points to win.

Last edited:
Finished the second half. Hate Lively picked up that cheap fifth foul because he was great that half, particularly on defense. Great job guarding the ball, scared enough shots around the rim that led to stops. That pass to Flip for the and-1 in transition was beautiful, not to mention the back to the basket play he had.

Grandison has to play more. I don’t know what else there is to say about it. He was such a big part of that run IMO.

Proctor was obviously great with the ball.

They hit a couple bullshit shots early in the half, but otherwise I thought our defense was terrific, especially after we switched their initial action. That was encouraging. It’ll come down to whether or not we can find enough opportunities offensively to get some points. I thought Proctor did a really good job of rushing the ball up court quick to try to find something, which seemed to give us a little jolt. Could be something to explore more going forward.

Couldn't agree more on Grandison, I feel like he's exactly the glue guy we hoped he would be and he just hasn't gotten enough of a chance to show it. Good defender, makes smart/quick reads with ball, and at 35% from three a veritable marksman on this team.

Glad to see Proctor looking more comfortable with the ball, even before his two late drives. It's a little thing, but I liked that he was was sprinting up the court with it more than doing the anxious guarded-dribble thing. Looked more like he belonged as the PG today.

Finished the second half. Hate Lively picked up that cheap fifth foul because he was great that half, particularly on defense. Great job guarding the ball, scared enough shots around the rim that led to stops. That pass to Flip for the and-1 in transition was beautiful, not to mention the back to the basket play he had.

Grandison has to play more. I don’t know what else there is to say about it. He was such a big part of that run IMO.

Proctor was obviously great with the ball.

They hit a couple bullshit shots early in the half, but otherwise I thought our defense was terrific, especially after we switched their initial action. That was encouraging. It’ll come down to whether or not we can find enough opportunities offensively to get some points. I thought Proctor did a really good job of rushing the ball up court quick to try to find something, which seemed to give us a little jolt. Could be something to explore more going forward.

You should probably watch the first half too, just so you can see the difference. First half Duke was comparable to something like the worst BC team we've seen in the last 10 years. They all just looked lost, helpless, and confused.
I blame Scheyer for the first half lack of preparedness and give him credit for the second half adjustments. That first half team was going to lose by 20.

Did anyone notice any actual adjustments? Maybe Scheyer is just getting better at yelling at teenagers loudly.

I'm perplexed as to what determines whether this team is a dominant offensive rebounding juggernaut vs a completely helpless nothing in a given game/half. I guess it's better than just being the latter all the time, but the lack of plan B isn't great.

Did anyone notice any actual adjustments? Maybe Scheyer is just getting better at yelling at teenagers loudly.

I'm perplexed as to what determines whether this team is a dominant offensive rebounding juggernaut vs a completely helpless nothing in a given game/half. I guess it's better than just being the latter all the time, but the lack of plan B isn't great.

Probably had a Zoom with K during halftime. ”GRAB THE BALL"

It seemed like a lot of Pitt's points in the first half came after Filipowski was switched onto their guards. He didn't do too terrible guarding them, but their guards hit a lot of bullshit shots or were able to get their offense really moving when Flip was on them. I think in the second half, Pitt regressed to the mean, but Lively really helped spur the defense. When he's switched onto a guard he does a better job harassing them and keeping them from setting up any easy action.

The second half was really encouraging, Lively, Grandison, and Proctor all played well, and the rest of the team showed a Coach K amount of verve.

They had 13 OR at 57% in the first half. They only scored 6 points. They ended up with 24 total and 19 points, so they just converted much better in the 2nd half for some reason.

Yeah. I think we rebounded well the whole game. In the second half we cut way down on turnovers (5 vs. 12, and only 3 in the first 17 minutes of the half) and they started missing more of the ridiculous step back midrange shit that was going down previously.

We definitely seemed rattled in the first half, but from a game plan perspective we scored exclusively at the bucket, behind the arc and from the line, which is encouraging. Only Dariq seemed interested in mid range shit. The sad fact is we just don't have the shot makers.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom