Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clemson at Duke - Tues, Jan 8, 7:00pm ESPNU

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
0116cuDuke2ndH001_t607.jpg

Devin Booker leads the Tigers in scoring and rebounding.

Clemson has gone 8-5 against the 328th strongest schedule.

Kenpom ratings:
#82 overall
#128 offense
#52 defense
#320 tempo

Notable results:
Lost by 8 to #13 Gonzaga on a neutral court
Lost by 12 to #14 Arizona at home
Lost by 5 to #70 Florida State at home

Notable team rankings:
#22 block%
#26 steal%
#33 turnover%
#261 assists/FGM
#280 ft%

Starters:
PG Rod Hall, 6-1 210, sophomore
SG Damarcus Harrison, 6-4 195, freshman
SF KJ McDaniels, 6-6 195, sophomore
PF Milton Jennings, 6-9 225, senior
C Devin Booker, 6-8 250, senior

Bench:
G Adonis Filer, 6-2 185, freshman
G Jordan Roper, 5-11 155, freshman
F Bernard Sullivan, 6-7 230, sophomore
C Landry Nnoko, 6-10 240, freshman

Best players:
Devin Booker: 28.4 min, 11.9 pts, 7.5 reb, 59.8% fg, 50.0% ft, 110.9 ORtg, 22.7% Poss, 35.7% FTRate, 12.5% OReb, 19.0% DReb
KJ McDaniels: 25.5 min, 11.4 pts, 4.6 reb, 46.1% fg, 31.9% 3pt, 73.0% ft, 108.9 ORtg, 23.6% Poss, 32.1% FTRate, 8.4% Blk, 3.6% Stl

This is another team without much size and who might double Mason a lot. The only big man besides Booker is a freshman who plays 8.8 mpg (Nnoko). McDaniels seems to be a versatile defender who creates problems. Sagarin says Duke by 20.

Clemson was borderline worth taking a closer look at. The only opponents worse than them the rest of the way are the dregs - VT, BC, Wake - but Clemson is a lot better than those guys. The ACC has 3 teams that would not crack the top 3 of the Ivy League. Come on.

I watched Clemson hang with Gonzaga, and thought they might be OK this year. It was only 4 years ago that Jennings and Booker were going to be the start of a real program at Clemson under Oliver Purnell, who was recruiting well and had led Clemson to an unprecedented 3 straight NCAA tourney trips. Now Purnell is committing career suicide at DePaul, and Clemson sucks.

Never understood that move on Purnell's part.

It's not like he ever got past the first round of the tourney though.

Me neither. It's not like he's from Chicago either. He's from the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

I think part of the problem with Clemson is that they found the exact opposite of Purnell with Brownell. Clemson's Pomeroy adjusted tempo by season:

2008: 69.2 (85th)
2009: 68.8 (71st)
2010: 69.1 (82nd)
2011: 65.3 (245th)
2012: 64.4 (259th)
2013: 62.7 (320th)

He's taking an uptempo team and grinding it to a halt. Purnell's philosophy was to force turnovers and deny threes. Brownell's teams have always been more balanced defensively and they don't care if teams take threes. He was awfully successful at two different schools so I think he deserves a fair shot, but bland basketball is a hard sell at a football school.

Totally agree, Klahn. Honestly, bland basketball is a hard sell at any school.

Brownell has a chance to land some horses at Clemson if his style of play isn't so Butleresque. Purnell was Lefty Dreisell school of hoops, much easier to sell to a kid. Purnell to DePaul is still a major head scratcher though. I wonder if he had a skeleton in his Clemson closet that made him want to get the hell out of dodge?

^ Farmer, I was thinking the same thing. For all we know he could have been on his way out and we just didn't hear about it.

Some perverse part of me thinks we will lose this game and beat NC State.

I can't believe Devin Booker is still playing. Between him and his brother, I swear they go back to the Cliff Ellis years.

Duke should take care of business by about 15 or so. Again, I would like to see the reserve big men get some good playing time. Not sure if the matchups warrant this or not.

The backcourt should have a really good game - let's get QC's shooting back on track.

When Purnell left for DePaul, part of the narrative on it was that he is a "program builder," not a maintainer. Kind of like Leonard Hamilton or Bill Foster. I'm guessing "program builder" is what they say to explain a coach who makes a lateral or surprising move w/o being run out of town. I can sort of see it in Purnell's most recent jump, though. Clemson is a small town in the middle of nowhere, football crazy, and in the basketball shadows of several ACC schools, if not most of them. By comparison, DePaul is in Chicago -- a recruiting hotbed (finalist for Jabari Parker, heh), and at the time, the best conference.

Say it ain't so, DrKlahn. I have learned the importance of Mr. RK, and don't want to see Duke have to play w/o him for any length of time. Fuck these injuries

On a positive, great rebounding by the guys tonight: 39 - 28 according to si.com boxscore

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom