Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Dariq Whitehead

If he’s not even top five in the 2023 mocks then that has to be another amazing draft class, not even considering Wembanyama

That jumper is butter. Some of you guys who are old enough, reminds me of Andrew Toney who played on those epic Sixers squads in the 80's.

Bigger Cassius Stanley vibes. Not sure who else he reminds me of.

His highlights aren't dissimilar to Barrett's at that stage, with maybe a little more skill vs pure power split.

He looks like an amalgamation of all of the generic Jalen wing guards who go to Ignite and then get drafted in the top 5. Which I actually mean as a high compliment.

He reminds me a bit of a stronger version of guys like Julius Hodge and Iman Shumpert, which is not to say that he can't be better offensively than those guys were, but just in terms of size, readiness, and all-around game.

Feeling cautiously optimistic about the Scheyer era with Filipkowski and Whitehead committed. Keep the high level recruiting going, which should only be helped with NIL, with hopefully smarter roster construction and use of the transfer portal, and Duke can remain in the title hunt.

Someone on TDD noticed that this was in a hotel room with a bunch of Duke swag in the background. Wonder if this has been done since his OV.

Would give Scheyer #6, 12, 20ish on the 247 composite once Filipowsky is moved up on 247 properly. That’s about as good as he could’ve done, given a handful of the top 20 will not be playing in college.

Get that kinda low ranked shooter guy and one more top 40ish guy, and that should be all anyone wants. With the new transfer environment, anything more than 4-5 players in a class, even with an empty cupboard, is just strictly developing guys for other programs. Better to get a balanced class instead of all elite OADs when Scheyer’s going to be working with very few bodies to start. Need guys to stick around.

Last edited:
Only caveat I'd make is we need at least one player bigger than Filipowski.

People want us to land Dereck Lively. I get it. He's 7'1", has the quickness of a wing, and can hit open threes. But he's a heavy Kentucky lean, I believe.

Besides, he's raw on offense but might expect touches. I think we might be better off getting a 5th year bruiser. Someone like Theo John if he could only stay another year. We should have offense taken care of. Need interior defense and rebounding.

By "bigger than Filipowski" I don't necessarily mean height. Henry Coleman would have been helpful here.

imo the only time taking large classes is acceptable anymore is when a couple of the guys are the likes of Jordan Goldwire, Jack White, Jaylen Blakes etc, that are smart enough to commit to Duke knowing they will never be the star and are willing to ride it out for a few years.

Only caveat I'd make is we need at least one player bigger than Filipowski.

People want us to land Dereck Lively. I get it. He's 7'1", has the quickness of a wing, and can hit open threes. But he's a heavy Kentucky lean, I believe.

Besides, he's raw on offense but might expect touches. I think we might be better off getting a 5th year bruiser. Someone like Theo John if he could only stay another year. We should have offense taken care of. Need interior defense and rebounding.

I think you solved the problem with the Theo John mention. There’s no better archetype to fill through the transfer portal (rather than spending any time or effort on HS recruiting) than the low usage, old, tough big man with solid defensive awareness. You’re much more likely to find that player as a 3rd, 4th or 5th year transfer than as a 17yo OAD. I’d prefer Duke never recruit another center out of HS again, as long as they’re regularly landing OAD guards and wings.

Unselfish
Tough
Multi-positional
Great defender

Sounds like he could be a Winslow-type/glue player for this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom