Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Dereck Lively

I absolutely think there’s a lot of untapped potential with his jumper and offense in general. Maybe it’s just me, but he does seem to lack touch close to the basket if it’s not a dunk, but I’m not sure how much that will matter at the next level if he can become a respectable corner jump shooter, which I think he will be in time.
I think it's fine.

One underrated aspect of his game is how hard he rolls. I've mentioned that before, but between that, his offensive rebounding, and being a constant lob threat, he's able to manufacturer a good amount of dunks. Sam Vecenie mentioned that he doesn't finish well on layups, but to me it's pointless to distinguish between layups and dunks. He's finishing just fine on dunks, and they're the vast majority of his shot diet.

The fact that he's able to function well in an offense with two other "bigs" and limited spacing tells me that he should thrive in the much more open lane of the NBA.

I think bulking up a bit could help his non-dunk finishing as well. Although as I've said before, I agree its not a huge concern given the role he'll likely play in the league. Developing a jump shot would be nice but there's a Nic Claxton/Rob Williams archetype in the league today that he can slide into without having to massively improve at anything.
Tall Robert Williams is a good comp. Like Timelord, Lively can really pass. That mitigates the spacing concerns somewhat.

Tall Robert Williams sounds like a lottery pick to me. Regular Robert Williams would be a lottery pick in a redraft.

I think also his rebounding has slowly gotten better as the year has progressed. He doesn’t lose the ball as much and he also splits a lot of those rebounds with Flip so his percentage is probably a bit artificially low

Lively is gonna feast at the next level where he'll have real spacing on a consistent basis.

Best of luck to him at the next level. Selfishly hope the Warriors find a way to draft him. Seems like the ideal modern center.

If he had shot something like 15/40 from 3 on the season, all completely wide open in the corner, in rhythm, no dribbles, he’d be a top 10 pick and realistically #4 or #5. He probably could’ve done it, just didn’t get the opportunity. Duke also feasibly gets a 2 or 3 seed and wins the national title.

I could see him being a top-10 pick this year regardless. If you're a young team hoping to build a late-2020s contender on a similar timeline to the Spurs, who are you going to get that's got a better shot at guarding Wemby than Lively?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom