Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

SeanMay, your comparison of Matt Jones to a (possible) bigger, better Tyler Thornton is exactly what I think Matt will deliver to this team this upcoming season. Freshman shooting problems aside, he has already shown to be a competent ball handler and defender. Last year, he appeared to be a better penetrator than TT.

Even knowing how crowded the 2-guard position is, I suspect he'll see 15 minutes of floor time on average this year. His D already justifies this (TT's defence and decision making warranted 20 min/game the last 2 years). Now, if he can get his shooting on track...he'd be a spectacular sub.

WTB - I hope you're right about the Cooney parallel.

wtbball21 said:
DurhamSon said:
I'm gonna be seriously pissed if matt jones shoots something like 30% from deep. It's not even his slow release time; he was terrible on wide open shots.

Are recruits so **** soft mentally these days that they can't handle freshmen years anymore?

I bet he goes the way of Trevor Cooney. My guess was his shooting was a combination of nerves, speed of the game and the fact that he didn't get a chance to shoot the ball once every three possessions for the entire game. Cooney shot 26% from 3 his freshman year.
Turn off your profanity filter:
(1) Click Profile tab
(2) Board Preferences tab
(3) "Edit display options" on left
(4) "Enable Word Censoring" --> "No"

I also hope (and optimistically think) that Jones's shooting was an aberration. Outside of that, and working on effective passing (he's not much of a creator) he's seems to be a guy who'll be a key player and get more time each year.

I mean, he's up to 6'5" 210 with a 6'7" wingspan -- that's great size for a college guard. That's 10 lbs heavier than Thomas Hill, at the same height.
He seems to "get" both 1-on-1 and team defense.
He can slash to the basket some...
...but he just doesn't do turnovers. FOUR in 235 minutes. Easily the best ration on the team.
He also seems like he's got a good basketball IQ and an even keel.

DukeNukem05 said:
wtbball21 said:
DurhamSon said:
I'm gonna be seriously pissed if matt jones shoots something like 30% from deep. It's not even his slow release time; he was terrible on wide open shots.

Are recruits so **** soft mentally these days that they can't handle freshmen years anymore?

I bet he goes the way of Trevor Cooney. My guess was his shooting was a combination of nerves, speed of the game and the fact that he didn't get a chance to shoot the ball once every three possessions for the entire game. Cooney shot 26% from 3 his freshman year.
(1) Click Profile tab

**** you

Hadn't seen this posted here, but the Herald-Sun had a brief article on Duke in the absence of K and Capel.

Quotes from Nate

On Okafor: "“We can put him on the box and he’s a load down there. He’s taken a defensive rebound and taken it up the court. Guys see and big guy coming and they think it’s going to be an easy charge or they could take it. He is stepping around. He’s a dancing bear. He’s very light on his feet with the ball.”

On Allen: “He’s been terrific. He’s one tough cookie. In the drills, he is tenacious. He is like that pit bull that’s been let out and goes at guys no matter how big or how small.”

Bear-GIFS-dancing.gif

Pitbull vs. Dancing Bear.

I want to hear every current player's animal comparison.

Great. Just read that article and saw that Amile has been out of action since June. Sounds like he'll be fine for the season, but hopefully missing the entire summer doesn't set him back too much.

I predict Grayson will be the new face of Duke hate. He has all the right qualities: white, cocky, tenacious, white.

deepdarkblue said:
I predict Grayson will be the new face of Duke hate. He has all the right qualities: white, cocky, tenacious, white.

You forgot white.

rhfarmer said:
deepdarkblue said:

You forgot white.

Oh, yeah, and he's white.

We need a pool for the earliest date that someone refers to him as Gay-son.

Kennard is not going to be liked either. There's something about his face that would make me irrationally angry if I were an opposing fan.

Sassy!

aiw said:
DukeNukem05 said:
wtbball21 said:
DurhamSon said:

(1) Click Profile tab

**** you

I had not heard anything about this injury. Would have been nice to see what a good summer of work could have done for his offense.

rome8180 said:
Great. Just read that article and saw that Amile has been out of action since June. Sounds like he'll be fine for the season, but hopefully missing the entire summer doesn't set him back too much.

Fuck you if you don't love Quinn Cook. Message me if you do, and I will send you a link to a Youtube channel I discovered that has so many great recent Duke games. No, it's not this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I hated that game when I watched it. It turns out it's probably more entertaining than the game at Chapel Hill.

Everyone defends Sulaimon. And they should. This game shows you his talent. I hope he runs point for us as a senior, especially if Jones is gone. He's maybe our best passing two-guard ever.

But everyone hates Cook. Makes total sense. NCCU probably could explain it to you.

CBB Future Power Rankings
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... ee-seasons

The question at the heart of Insider's College Basketball Future Power Rankings project is simple: Which college hoops programs will have the most success over the next three seasons (2014-15, '15-16, '16-17)?

To come up with the answer, we had a panel of experts rate programs on a 1-to-10 scale in five different categories: Coaching, Current Talent, Recruiting, Program Power and Stability. We compiled the results and weighted the categories (for a more in-depth description of the category weighting and the methodology behind the rankings, see the inline at right or click here) to produce the top 25 rankings you see below.

Our panel: Andy Katz, Jeff Goodman, John Gasaway, Paul Biancardi, Jay Bilas, Eamonn Brennan.

For each selection, our panelists explain why the team is here, offer a potential stumbling block to success, and then discuss the young talent on the roster or on the way via recruiting.

Here you have it -- our top 25 ranking of the teams best positioned for success over the next three seasons. It's a group that offers a number of surprises.

1 Duke Blue Devils

Why they are here: The Blue Devils are atop the power rankings for one main reason: Mike Krzyzewski. He's the all-time winningest coach, is riding a strong wave of recruiting, and has shown no signs of stepping down anytime soon. His stability and the Duke brand equate to high-level recruits choosing the Blue Devils. Their current roster is loaded with players coveted by other schools and the most recent recruiting class has a few more potential one-and-done players. Duke chooses players, as much if not more so than any other school. The Blue Devils play national games on a regular basis outside of their conference (even if only one every other year is a true road game, it still resonates). Duke has had poor first-round losses to Mercer and Lehigh, but the projection will still be for the Blue Devils to compete for the ACC and national titles in each of the next three seasons. -- Andy Katz

Dilemma: Krzyzewski is Duke basketball and as long as he's around, the Blue Devils will compete for Final Fours and national championships. But Coach K turns 68 in February, and it's anyone's guess how much longer he'll coach. When he does step down, it'll be interesting to see who takes over since there is no clear-cut successor. Another factor that could make it more difficult for Duke to land elite players is if Coach K steps down from coaching the Olympic and national teams after the 2016 Olympics. The Duke program has benefited greatly from his presence there. -- Jeff Goodman

Pipeline: Already on campus is the nation's No. 1 recruiting class and the No. 1 player in the class, Jahlil Okafor. Okafor will demand attention, point guard Tyus Jones will make the game easy for his teammates by facilitating, while small forward Justise Winslow will add versatility. Also keep an eye on Grayson Allen, a physical and fearless scoring guard. Even if Okafor isn't around long, the future stays extremely bright as Duke has two studs committed for next season in Chase Jeter and sharpshooter Luke Kennard. -- Paul Biancardi

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom