Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

rome8180 said:
Fuck you if you don't love Quinn Cook. Message me if you do, and I will send you a link to a Youtube channel I discovered that has so many great recent Duke games. No, it's not this one.

Quinn's layup on the fast break right before the 23 minute mark is so sexy. I can't even fathom how much practice it would take to be able to swish a layup like that without using the glass while still running at full speed. He doesn't slow down at all there and he hardly jumps.

Conversely, McAdoo bricking the layup after Mason lets him go by uncontested at about 12 minutes is one of the worst things that's ever happened in a Duke-Carolina game.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a tough game for the TT haters (save for the bad foul at the end)

Mason had a great 2nd half.

A few more exhibits of Cook's awesomeness.

I hate that we're probably not going to see Cook in full-on senior mode because of Jones. In my opinion, Cook's main weakness has been lack of focus for a full season. He would start out incredibly strong and then turn into an average player somewhere in conference play. Then he seemed to get his flow back at the end of the year.

But what we've seen from a lot with seniors is a new level of focus, game-in and game-out. I'd like to see Cook get that opportunity. I hope there is a way that Cook and Jones are compatible on the court.

I know some people questioned Cook's decision-making, but I always advocated for giving him even more freedom to freelance.

If you watch Duke games from in the mid-80s into the 90s, the guards were allowed to be a lot more haphazard with the ball. Full-court passes, etc. High-risk, high-reward.

Basically, my theory has always been that he's a naturally brilliant distributor who would benefit from being allowed to fuck up more. He rarely turns the ball over, and despite that he still manages to make numerous amazing high-risk passes in his best games. Imagine if he were allowed to gamble more.

There are some games where Sulaimon just looks unstoppable (both as a distributor and a scorer). Watch the second half of this game, when we go into stall ball.

Watching Ojeleye drill four straight free throws at the end of that game just makes me angry. It's like Coach K is the only living coach who has never heard of 3-and-D.

It's been tough for me to get excited about this season because of the unrelenting misery of last year, but I'm finally starting to come around. We're going to be a really, really good team. I don't see any way that this season ends up going poorly. Amile Jefferson is a pure force of goodness.

Also, LOL at K saying that Amile doesn't have his "explosion" back yet. Amile's explosion is about as important to his game as Marshall's jump shot is to his.

I listened to the press conference. Coach K sounded genuinely impressed. He said this freshman class was special. I also love that Quinn is being a welcoming presence.

I think part of what made us so good in 2013 was the misery of 2012 (though I enjoyed that season more than last year). I honestly believe our defense will be at least good (though maybe not great), or rebounding will be excellent, and we will have really good depth.

We probably won't win the championship, because the odds are always against that. But I bet you our overall season record is going to be excellent.

^Amile was terrific in that UCLA game. Showed a little bit of everything...guarding the interior (Tony Parker), guarding the perimeter (Anderson), great rebounding, nice finishes around the net.

He seemed to take it personally when he'd go up against a big Duke had failed to land. He played great against the mighty Tarik Black as well.

This game is a great example of people's prejudice against Cook. I have legitimately heard people blame Cook for this game getting "close." And I'm talking people on this forum.

1) It didn't get close. They cut it down to 14. That was bound to happen against a good team at home.

2) Cook was awesome throughout this game. He had one risky pass, which would have been a spectacular lob if it worked out. And he had one forced shot in the lane. He converted two equally tough shots in the lane on plays soon after.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUbjEHndWE#t=3721[/youtube]

That was such great basketball during the first few minutes of that game. Total domination on both ends right up until the TT foul on JMM and even that was a good foul. Nothing was better than the dumbfounded look on Roy's face when he realized he was going to have to figure out how to coach in that game.

rome8180 said:
This game is a great example of people's prejudice against Cook. I have legitimately heard people blame Cook for this game getting "close." And I'm talking people on this forum.

1) It didn't get close. They cut it down to 14. That was bound to happen against a good team at home.

2) Cook was awesome throughout this game. He had one risky pass, which would have been a spectacular lob if it worked out. And he had one forced shot in the lane. He converted two equally tough shots in the lane on plays soon after.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUbjEHndWE#t=3721[/youtube]

I am hot and cold on Cook (much less hot that you usually are), but I like to use this game as an example of Cook at his best. IIRC, he ran stall ball beautifully in the second half, milking the clock, then driving the lane and making something happen nearly every time, delivering several final daggers to UNC. Could have used more of that type of play in all of last year's losses when we were up in the second half (or in other words, all of last year's losses).

Winslow: 6'10 255

Sulaimon: 6'2 160

ByQz6d4IEAA4Usz.jpg

The extra 95 pounds is penis.

Which is why Sheed is holding his in embarassment.

Justise oozes too much sex appeal to do anything to the hair. It's gonna distract a lot of people and turn heads of a lot of girls when he walks in to an opponent's gym.

In fact, if for some reason we play the University of Texas this year...

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom