Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

The rebounding will be just fine, I am certain that is being said just to motivate the guys.

Considering the perimeter and interior talents, it should be a well-balanced team offensively and defensively.

Sounds good to me. Means Matt is shooting it well in practice. Because there's no way that lineup should be on the floor, ever, if Matt is still a 10% 3pt shooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fking K. Overplaying defense isn't the problem, the players just haven't been athletic enough to be any good at it. (A good followup question to that would have been "Coach K, if you knew your players weren't physically capable of playing it, why did you not change your defense in the last 15 to 20 years?"

Just watched the scrimmage. Matt seems to be able to shoot again. I like the starting lineup as it is for now.

Okafor is unstoppable one-on-one. Sulaimon looked like the second best player.

rome8180 said:
Just watched the scrimmage. Matt seems to be able to shoot again. I like the starting lineup as it is for now.

Did Tyus look like he could play any defense at all? I didn't see the scrimmage, just the "Top 5 Plays" clip, and in those few clips, he didn't come out looking good (nor did Cook, who got backdoored badly).

Gasaway ranks the ACC teams, has Duke as the favorite (ESPN Insider):
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball

Take this for what it's worth in October, but right now Duke appears to be first among near-equals.

Duke Blue Devils
ACC title chances: 1/2

He is saying Duke either has a 67% chance or a 50% chance to be the best team in the ACC. But he is also saying there are other ACC teams that are nearly equal to Duke. Hmm.

childress22 said:
rome8180 said:

Did Tyus look like he could play any defense at all? I didn't see the scrimmage, just the "Top 5 Plays" clip, and in those few clips, he didn't come out looking good (nor did Cook, who got backdoored badly).

Tyus did get a five-second call on Cook. In general, I thought his defense was mediocre but better than Cook's.

At the top of the player there are a series of tabs. Click on "Archived Game Broadcasts."

And yeah, I don't understand why it's hidden like that.

Just got tickets to the Champions Classic.

Okafor named preseason All American by AP. It's still weird to me to give a freshman that type of recognition before they've played a game. Hope he's able to live up to the hype!

I hope the timing of his awesomeness is inversely correlated with how Jabari's played out

Alright, well, I think we can all agree that we've seen enough to make unequivocal declarations about each player's season. Predictions that you are welcome to quote in 6 months to praise their startling accuracy:

Okafor - obviously amazing and will dominate grotesquely if guarded one-on-one. Will see some modest numbers in big, fast-paced wins, and will struggle passing out of double-teams against elite teams at times.

Tyus - massive improvement at PG. You will watch us when he is in and all of a sudden realize you feel as relaxed as you have all day. He will bring us closer to Chi. However, he will be a quieter star and will not go pro. Defense will be good at times, but will get burned on the occasions when he realizes K wants him to run straight at the face of a ballhandler standing 37 feet from the rim.

Winslow - makes me want to be a better man, and grow a larger penis. Will be the guy that goes from being the "Oh cool, him too?" recruit to our best player not named Okafor this year. Will score 10-15 in most games, shoots 48/35/75, gets to the line consistently, is consistently in the fray for rebounds and contesting shots around the rim, gets some assists, plays defense, and is unstoppable on the break. Enjoy him for his one year before he's drafted in the 5-10 range.

Matt Jones - will keep his starting spot and be a solid 3-and-D player. Shoots 39% from three, is a bit streaky but overall consistent.

Sulaimon - will be an all-or-nothing guy off the bench. He's score 21 with 15 in the second half to win a huge ACC road game, then go 1-5 with 3 TOs in 15 minutes in a blowout home win over Clemson. My problem is that when he's not on, he's not quick enough with the ball to be a role player. He has great assist-vision in the paint, but is not good at making the quick Tyus pass for a hockey style assist. Potentially for ball stopping and TOs going to the rim will outweigh his shooting and D on his off nights.

Cook - honestly... I don't think he's one of our best eight players. He was bad tonight. Tyus is worlds better as a PG, and he has the same ball stoppage and TO problems as a role player that Sulaimon does. He's good at pestering ballhandlers away from the rim sometimes, but since he's not good at preventing penetration or turning that pressure into steals, I'm not sure how useful that is except to give K a boner. He'll hit some huge threes in big games, and they will be nice redemption moments, but chemistry equal, I'd prefer him cede his spot Paulus-style to...

Allen - ('s Elliott Williams). He's got a super quick release with range, and "knows how to play" in that he knows to immediately shoot, pass, or take space/penetrate when he gets the ball, there's no ball stoppage. I like the defensive potential his size, athleticism and toughness presents. It's basically our 5 least experienced players, but Jones-Jones-Allen-WInslow-Okafor will be a reallllly sexy lineup.

Marshall - will do Marshall things in the 5-10 mpg Okafor is out, the things you want your backup, role-playing Plumlee to do. It will be fun and cute. His FT stroke looked good tonight, shockingly.

Ojeleye - will get a smattering of minutes when Amile's out and we don't want to go small, because he plays good team defense, is a very good rebounder, and can theoretically space the floor. However, he will be more Josh Hairston than Derrick Williams. He needs to man the fuck up and just try to dunk everything or die trying, enough double pumping and going up for bank layups. I couldn't believe he didn't just attack the rim with two hands off of two feet when he got that wide open lane. We will all die inside a little every game he fails to make his athleticism basketball-functional.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom