Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

I feel so much relief this season is over. None of it was enjoyable not even the wins. The only fun game of the season was the first one vs Davidson and the regular season game with State.

A wave of new personalities can't be a bad thing, right? Where can I find a youtube of our new guys communicating with teammates and showing non-dreadful body language?

bdotling said:
I feel so much relief this season is over. None of it was enjoyable not even the wins. The only fun game of the season was the first one vs Davidson and the regular season game with State.
Me too, just wish it was Sunday.

Although I understand your points, I disagree with you guys... I want to see them in the tourney as long as possible. I look forward to watching it more.

ACC just got a little bit tougher for the forseeable future. VT somehow managed to snag Buzz Williams. Huge hire I think.

I hope eh dances on center court of the Dean Dome

Arms race. ACC is losing Bzzz, VT Guy, Donahue, Turgeon and gaining Pitino, Buzz Williams, Calhoun (lol, Amaker I guess), and someone better than Bzzz. The next job up will be Georgia Tech's and I have to think they will go for a big name.

Advanced stats coming to the ACC. Maybe someone will finally go 2-for-1 at the end of a half/game.

Losing to VPI at least once (will we play them twice next year?), I guess.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
ACC just got a little bit tougher for the forseeable future. VT somehow managed to snag Buzz Williams. Huge hire I think.

I agree Shav. Good coach

All I want from next year's team is to get back to Duke basketball. Move the ball around on offense and play some tough defense. If we get can back to "Duke basketball" with the talent next year's team will have the floor is a Sweet Sixteen appearance. IMO.

Also, I would like to see Coach K make some changes. This is Duke, we aren't a fricking team that only has 6-7 guys capable of playing well. We bring in very good recruits, can we please roll out a line-up where we get 8-9 guys major minutes, and of course the defense. I understand that the IQ of this team is terrible but at the same time there has to be some extremely watered down version of man to defense that he could have run this season to help improve the team.

Say what you want about our statistically amazing offense, there was a lot of east and west dribbling and passing and lots of one on one designed for Parker and Hood. That crap needs to change next season, get back to moving the mfing ball around the court. Yeah I get it, our offense was statistically great this season but the eye test (my eyes don't mean much) showed me that when other teams needed stops against Duke they got them. The opposing defense really focused in, upped their intensity and stifled Duke's offense.

Things need to change otherwise last season will happen all over again. We need guys that not only know their roles but buy into them. That's why last season's team and the 2010 teams over achieved (besides experience of course.) Everyone had a very specific role and they embraced that role. Coach K did a horrible job of putting guys into their roles season. What the hell was Sheed? Was he a point guard? a combo guard? or a scorer from the wing? What the hell was Quinn, our point guard or was he a guy being called off of the bench to score some points?

Any chance Semi hangs around, or has that train already left the station?

Watch him transfer to KU or Wichita St and end up being all-world. K better salvage the situation, if possible.

The key next year is defense and basically nothing else. Slap's concerns about the iso-centric nature of our offense are valid, but the bottom line is that our offense worked. Regardless of any scheme changes, I feel confident in saying that our offense will be slightly worse next year. We won't have as many shooter/shot creators. And that's ok. We'll have a genius point guard, a dominant center, a crafty, efficient power forward, and hopefully two upperclassmen guards who can fill it up. Offense will be top 10.

One thing that will help us next year is that we will fucking dominate the glass. Amile rebounding from the 4 is just ridiculous, and coupled with Jahlil and back up minutes from Marshall, we should be a top 20 team in offensive and defensive rebounding percentage.

That leaves basically two issues to me: defense, and leadership/confidence/heart/communication/all those intangibles we lacked this year. I'm counting them as one category because they're all tied together. We need our upperclassmen to be leaders who can right the ship late in games and communicate on defense. As for the defense itself, I'm just not sure K still knows how to coach it anymore. If we get a coaching effort anything like we saw this year, we're screwed.

Yeah, the offense will be at worst top-20 and more than likely top-10. That's what it is every year regardless of roster makeup, tempo, 3PA/FGA, FT-rate, etc.

best4heisman said:
The key next year is defense and basically nothing else. Slap's concerns about the iso-centric nature of our offense are valid, but the bottom line is that our offense worked. Regardless of any scheme changes, I feel confident in saying that our offense will be slightly worse next year. We won't have as many shooter/shot creators. And that's ok. We'll have a genius point guard, a dominant center, a crafty, efficient power forward, and hopefully two upperclassmen guards who can fill it up. Offense will be top 10.

One thing that will help us next year is that we will fucking dominate the glass. Amile rebounding from the 4 is just ridiculous, and coupled with Jahlil and back up minutes from Marshall, we should be a top 20 team in offensive and defensive rebounding percentage.

That leaves basically two issues to me: defense, and leadership/confidence/heart/communication/all those intangibles we lacked this year. I'm counting them as one category because they're all tied together. We need our upperclassmen to be leaders who can right the ship late in games and communicate on defense. As for the defense itself, I'm just not sure K still knows how to coach it anymore. If we get a coaching effort anything like we saw this year, we're screwed.

Good post. I've been focused on the holes that Parker/Hood leaving will create, but I really haven't been looking at it quite like this, and I think what you say is valid.

As to your last paragraph, I think our best hope is that K will swallow his pride this summer, take notes whenever Thibodeau is talking about defense, and employ the strategies that he uses.

I dont think any team in college ball runs that thibs defense. Its too complicated to teach to a college team in one season.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom