Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2016-2017

Couldn't watch. What happened to Matt?

I started the replay, but it's hard to get excited about watching a team missing so many pieces.

From what I did see (the first half of the first half), this team has a lot of work to do. No PG, terrible on the glass, not great defense.

rome8180 said:
From what I did see (the first half of the first half), this team has a lot of work to do. No PG, terrible on the glass, not great defense.

You should watch just to see Javin play. You'll be glad you did.

Jack White looked a lot better than expected. Watch him.

Watch Bolden.

Watch our best player, Luke Kennard, dominate.

If you see a play that looks as though Chase Jeter will factor into it, immediately close your eyes until the moment passes. You're welcome.

Don't watch Jackson unless you're willing to relive the entire JWill experience. Great scorer, good defender, idiot ball handler.

aiw said:
Matt tweaked his hamstring

"Tweaked" as in, okay in a week or two? Or "probably ongoing thing that will stay with him for an extended period of time"?

Our backcourt

Allen? (assumes proof of life)/Jefferson/Pagliuca
Kennard/Jackson/Besser

We're still fine, I think, if Allen is okay. (I'm selling tickets on the "There's something wrong with Grayson Allen that they're not talking about" bandwagon. Buy early for best prices and seat selections!)

Hopefully Jackson can settle down sooner rather than later. Of course if he improves too much, and Kennard continues his domination, we may have no backcourt at all next season.

Best hope for fans is to win the title this year, then volunteer working with some remote villagers in Kenya next year, or perhaps try a year of the Amish experience or join a monastic, media-less group and pass the year with meditation and floral arranging.

/r/nba thinks of the Thunder offense as using Westbrook and Oladipo (formerly Durant) as battering rams to break down a defense one on one, getting layups or free throws or Adams/Kanter putbacks until the defense gives in and crowds the paint, at which point all the open 3s can be had.

I think K would be wise to do the same thing with Duke this season, because this team will probably be bad at passing and have more good bigs than usual. A Spurs ball movement offense is typically the Duke ideal because Duke typically plays small with a lot of good ball handlers, passers and shooters on the court. I don't think that's the best use of this personnel, and I'm sure this isn't groundbreaking thinking - I'm pretty sure K has already decided that Duke will play like the Thunder this season because it's so obvious.

Allen and Tatum are the obvious battering rams, if K can convince Tatum to stop pulling up for midrange jumpers when he could easily get layups or draw fouls instead. Jackson and Kennard can get to the rim as well. None of these guys are expected to be huge assist rate guys, though I would expect them to have decent assist/turnover ratios by the end of the season. Use them to break a defense down the easy way, just using their raw talent, and have the bigs in position to eat up any misses. When the defense adjusts, kill them with 3s. I don't see any other offense working better with this personnel.

SI just came out with mini-articles on each team.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... en-coach-k

Two takeaways, Grayson thinks he will be more efficient than last year.

Second, Capel shows off his comedic chops: "We have the depth, we have the athleticism, we have the size and length to be a really good defensive team. That has to be a point of emphasis for us. We’d like to be able to pressure, full-court, to get after people, get in passing lanes. We have versatility where we can do some different things with how we switch stuff and keep fresh bodies in. To be honest, I think that’s an area where we can hang our hat.”

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
/r/nba thinks of the Thunder offense as using Westbrook and Oladipo (formerly Durant) as battering rams to break down a defense one on one, getting layups or free throws or Adams/Kanter putbacks until the defense gives in and crowds the paint, at which point all the open 3s can be had.

I think K would be wise to do the same thing with Duke this season, because this team will probably be bad at passing and have more good bigs than usual. A Spurs ball movement offense is typically the Duke ideal because Duke typically plays small with a lot of good ball handlers, passers and shooters on the court. I don't think that's the best use of this personnel, and I'm sure this isn't groundbreaking thinking - I'm pretty sure K has already decided that Duke will play like the Thunder this season because it's so obvious.

Allen and Tatum are the obvious battering rams, if K can convince Tatum to stop pulling up for midrange jumpers when he could easily get layups or draw fouls instead. Jackson and Kennard can get to the rim as well. None of these guys are expected to be huge assist rate guys, though I would expect them to have decent assist/turnover ratios by the end of the season. Use them to break a defense down the easy way, just using their raw talent, and have the bigs in position to eat up any misses. When the defense adjusts, kill them with 3s. I don't see any other offense working better with this personnel.

What you're saying is we would play entire games in the same way we played in 2015 when down 10+ points.

The Duke men's basketball team plays another exhibition game tomorrow (Friday) night at 8:00 ET, and it will be streamed on WatchESPN.

The opponent is Augustana.

This is all I feel anyone needs to know about Augustana:

Duke should beat these guys pretty handily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Augustana at the Duck Room in St. Louis right around the time that song was blowing up. Those facts are the only things I remember about the experience.

In about 25 hours or so from now, I assume I'll remember nothing about the Augustana basketball team, either.

K just said that he expects everyone but Giles ready for the opener and that Giles will be ready by end of month. He had non-contact drills with Capel today.

Last night's starting lineup gave us a glimpse of what the team would look like if Nate James had assumed total control over recruiting around 2 years ago. Not too shabby, actually.

We'd score at will but struggle to rebound and defend the post. Basically every Duke team in recent memory.

Is that last paragraph sarcastic? If anything jumped out at me from last night it was the defense and rebounding.

Agreed. I'm hoping Jackson and DeLaurier can help kill the stupid "K's man-to-man defense is too hard for freshmen to learn" meme that resurfaces every time we have a road loss in January.

Childress, our defense has actually been bad for several years, coinciding with freshmen getting a bigger percentage of total minutes at Duke, and seniors at Duke tend to play much better defense than they did earlier in their careers. Not sure what you are calling stupid/illogical.

They also just played Augustana.

Ok, I watched a replay of the first half and stopped. I gotta tell you guys, Augustana is probably not one or the top 500 college basketball teams in the country this season, on any level, and may not be top 1000. They lost a lot from last season. This was like Semi Ojeleye against private schools in Kansas suburbs, during their down seasons. I find it hard to take anything at all from this.

rome8180 said:
Is that last paragraph sarcastic? If anything jumped out at me from last night it was the defense and rebounding.

Semi-serious. I was thinking about last year's lineup with nothing changing except being a year older. But i totally forgot about Amile. His presence obviously makes rebounding and d worlds better.

But even with him, in my hypothetical season, i would still worry about rim protection. Against decent competition Jeter would foul out in 10 min. Then we'd be stuck with amile doing his senior mason impersonation, afraid to challenge anything.

Obviously doesnt matter and it's a silly exercise but seeing a starting lineup with no freshmen just got me thinking.

I think they said Augustana's enrollment is around 1,700.

The ECUs and Elons of the worrld would absolutely crush them. Hard to draw any qualified conclusions on defensive abilities.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom