Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

Duval is most concerning to me, as I assume Allen will continue to get worse, not better. Duke doesn’t need the things Duval does best (getting into the paint, getting into transition), and desperately needs things he is very bad at (FT and 3pt) or has shown no willingness to do (smart defense, limit turnovers and at least rebound on defense a little bit).

An extremely bad fit for this roster, though he could probably be amazing surrounded by shooters and rim runners like Barrett, Reddish, Williamson and the sophomore version of O’Connell. Another case of player timing being unfortunate - would’ve been better off with Duval on last year’s team as someone who can dribble a basketball against pressure and be a good complement to Kennard, and would’ve been better off with Tre Jones on this year’s team as someone who can defend, make good decisions and hit FTs.

We basically need Tyler Thornton at PG this year, and Duval is the opposite. I think we would be heavy favorites at this point with senior TT in Duval’s place. I don’t think Goldwire is the answer, either - not good enough generally yet, but I assume he will be very good in a few years. Allen is dead in my mind, so it will be a pleasant surprise if he rises again, rather than continuing to hope he is still in there and being disappointed.

I just cannot believe we have a point guard who is shooting sub-60% from the charity stripe.

Edit: Figured out my own question.

Last edited:
Maybe you should give us some team point projections with Senior TT in this current lineup.

I love kenpom. But I think you guys seem to forget Duval has almost single handidly won us games with clutch play. That pass yesterday was incredibly dumb so I'm not excusing that. He's been on a little run of bad games with about 3-4 in a row as well.

But if TT was starting on this team we'd have zero chance at winning a title. Zero. His amazing kenpom numbers that year led us to a 9 loss record and second round exit. I do think he'd be a perfect backup PG playing around 10-15mpg on this team.

I actually think senior Cook would be almost perfect for this team. Great leader, great shooter and solid defender.

I'm tapping out tho. I forgot how much many on here love TT. I'll take Duval over him any day but this is a losing battle. Let me know if you need some minute projections.

I love kenpom. But I think you guys seem to forget Duval has almost single handidly won us games with clutch play. That pass yesterday was incredibly dumb so I'm not excusing that. He's been on a little run of bad games with about 3-4 in a row as well.

But if TT was starting on this team we'd have zero chance at winning a title. Zero. His amazing kenpom numbers that year led us to a 9 loss record and second round exit. I do think he'd be a perfect backup PG playing around 10-15mpg on this team.

I actually think senior Cook would be almost perfect for this team. Great leader, great shooter and solid defender.

Tyus Jones would be perfect for this team.

It's a losing battle because it's not arguable with any objectivity. What rational person looks at this giant paint-clogged Duke team and prefers a point guard who takes up double or triple the possessions Thornton would while shooting 26% from 3 and 58% from the line and being a zero or negative on defense? The argument for Duval is entirely eye test.

The point isn't that Thornton would be better for this team than Duval, anyway. It's that there are about 100 point guards in the country better for Duke than Duval every season, and the coaches picked Duval. It's possible Goldwire is even better for this team than Duval.

It's great that Duval came alive in the final few minutes to save Duke in 2-3 games this season. If he hadn't been complete ass in several games, we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

It appears Trent has joined Wendell in the new hairstyle thing.

Exponentially uglier than the 'Duke Starting 5," but if it duplicates the results...

Looking forward to Grayson's take on it.

That is really quite bad, but this is also coming from an uncultured white male. I'll say this though, anything is an improvement over that yellow poof haircut Wendell had last year. That was a fucking atrocity.

That is really quite bad, but this is also coming from an uncultured white male. I'll say this though, anything is an improvement over that yellow poof haircut Wendell had last year. That was a fucking atrocity.
I don't think you have to be "cultured" to have an opinion on it. Just because something's in fashion doesn't make it not terrible.

I don't think you have to be "cultured" to have an opinion on it. Just because something's in fashion doesn't make it not terrible.

I agree. My comment was more tongue in cheek and not intended to be totally serious.

How about some good news? Duke has only 2 more early daytime starts left on the schedule, next weekend at NYC (scary) and at Clemson (seems okay, there's only like 4 bars there). And now that they have cleverly avoided the ACC #1 seed, they'll play only night games in Brooklyn too.

Just one more to go!

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom