Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2018-2019

Farmer, you know if this goes sideways it's all on you, right? You're taking on a huge responsibility by starting this thread, much respect to you for risking it.

Can't wait to crush UK in our first game of the season. EatMe, can we get a preview writeup?

Tentative minutes projection in close games:

PG Jones (24) / Duval (16)
SG Trent (32) / Reddish (8)
SF Reddish (24) / Barrett (16)
PF Barrett (16) / Williamson (16) / Carter (8)
C Carter (16) / Bagley (24)

Not advisable to play competitive basketball when you're barefoot and pregnant.

The greatest team in recent memory is 2011-12 Kentucky, which went 38-2 with a national title.

PG: Marquis Teague- 10.2 ppg, 4.8 apg, 32% from 3, 71% FT, 2.7 TOV
SG: Doron Lamb- 13.7 ppg, 47.5% from 3, 81% FT
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist- 11.9 ppg., 7.4 rpg, 25.5% from 3, 74.5% FT
PF: Terrence Jones- 12.3 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 33% from 3, 64% FT
C: Anthony Davis- 14.2 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 62% FG, 15% from 3, 71% FT, 10.8 DBPM

BENCH
G/F: Darius Miller- 8.2 ppg, 38% from 3, 82% FT
F: Kyle Witljer- 5 ppg, 43% from 3, 82% FT

Here's where their team stats ranked:

FG%: 8th
2P%: 22nd
3P%: 37th
FT%: 65th
ORB: 17th
DRB: 2nd
TRB: 2nd

DFG%: 1st
D2P%: 1st
D3P%: 68th

On KenPom, Kentucky was 2nd on offense and 7th on defense.

Now, let's look at Duke:

PG- Tre Jones
SG- Cameron Reddish
SF- R.J. Barrett
PF- Zion Williamson

That portion of the lineup looks absolutely excellent, offensively and defensively. Tre will be at least as good as Teague. Reddish is superior to Lamb, and Barrett is superior to Kidd-Gilchrist. I am bullish on Zion and think he's going to be better than a sophomore Terrence Jones.

So that leaves the 5 spot.

What we have is a transcendent figure in Anthony Davis versus Marques Bolden.

Not good unless Marques has some sort of ridiculous growth spurt in his overall game that resembles the punctuated equilibrium in natural history.

Alex O'Connell and Javin DeLaurier can be solid bench pieces rivaling Miller and Witljer.

What I am wondering is if the superiority of our 1-4 can offset the level of superiority Anthony Davis has over Marques Bolden- not taking into account any improvement Bolden may see in his game.

Last edited:
Having Bolden back would be swell - I just don't feel confident in his return.

I feel decent about it. Not a lock, but he is not going to receive favorable draft reports and he'll be starting on the best team in the country. He has a lot of potential to alter shots, play good defense, and score when the opportunity presents itself. His rebounding is definitely a work in progress but I am hopeful. Needs to continue getting stronger and more assertive- just stop with the pump fakes and bringing the ball down to regroup only to get it swatted. I'm rooting like Hell for him to figure it out.

How do you know they'll be "excellent" defensively?

How do you know they'll be "excellent" defensively?

I am admittedly looking at it in the abstract. 3 of the 4 are extremely long and athletic. 3 of the 4 have reputations of being very tough with "dog-like" mentalities. And I think Reddish can be an excellent defender if he buys in, given his length and athleticism. Now whether K's system is harder to learn than Cal's- or whether Cal is simply a better defensive coach- is certainly up for debate. But there's no reason Teague, Lamb, MKG, and Terrence Jones are inherently better defenders than Jones, Reddish, Barrett, and Williamson.

And there will be no Grayson. Lol.

And Axe would've been right about Gruden too if not for Tennessee's incompetence.
Not trying to brag, but yes. That whole thing was so crazy. I knew Gruden would be coaching this year because I know some relatives and people always talk. :tearsofjoy:

I believe the Raiders are paying exactly what I said Tennessee was supposed to offer, too.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom