Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2018-2019

I'd believed until now that K would go small and start Zion at the 5. My rationale was that it would allow for our "best five" to be on the floor (Tre, AOC, Cam, RJ, Zion) and that you probably wouldn't lose very much in terms of defense or rebounding.

But if Axe says Bolden starts, he starts.

If Bolden comes back, which I think he will, he's going to start the year in the starting lineup. If he doesn't make the leap, K will be hella quick with the hook and we'll go small.

Reactions: TBC
I'd believed until now that K would go small and start Zion at the 5. My rationale was that it would allow for our "best five" to be on the floor (Tre, AOC, Cam, RJ, Zion) and that you probably wouldn't lose very much in terms of defense or rebounding.

But if Axe says Bolden starts, he starts.

Lol.

I am a big Alex fan and believe he is better than Bolden. You could be right. You were dead-on about Wendell.

I think you will see both big and small lineups a lot, actually. We're shallow both in the post and at guard.

On another note, I really hope K tries to emulate the Celtics' switch-everything defense. Our small ball lineup (or even a slightly bigger one with Javin at the 5) should be suited to it.

I was just looking at Bolden's advanced stats this year compared to last:

ORB% has gone from 10.7 to 13.8.
DRB% has gone from 8.4 to 16.1.
TRB% has gone from 9.5 to 15.
BLK% has gone from 4.2 to 7.5.
TOV% has gone from 22.1 to 14.6.
OBPM has gone from -2.3 to 2.2.
DBPM has gone from 2.2 to 6.3.
USG is about the same- 15.8 last year to 15.9 this year.

Very encouraging, don't you guys agree?

Axe, we see you are trying here. But don’t do this player by player comparison thing. It won’t work like that. You end up trying to compare Marques Bolden to Anthony Davis, and that is terrible.

2010 Duke was better than 2012 Kentucky by efficiency margin, anyway. A lot of teams were better than 2012 Kentucky. Number of losses is meaningless without strength of schedule.

If you absolutely need to compare 2019 Duke player by player to a great team with similar styles and philosophies, try 2010 Duke. Maybe non-NBA player Brian Zoubek compared with Bolden, instead of best big man of his generation Davis, will be less insane.

Dismissing senior Jon Scheyer, junior Nolan Smith and junior Kyle Singler as not in the same stratosphere as a bunch of freshmen we’ve never seen play is probably the wrong way to go, though.

Axe, we see you are trying here. But don’t do this player by player comparison thing. It won’t work like that. You end up trying to compare Marques Bolden to Anthony Davis, and that is terrible.

2010 Duke was better than 2012 Kentucky by efficiency margin, anyway. A lot of teams were better than 2012 Kentucky. Number of losses is meaningless without strength of schedule.

If you absolutely need to compare 2019 Duke player by player to a great team with similar styles and philosophies, try 2010 Duke. Maybe non-NBA player Brian Zoubek compared with Bolden, instead of best big man of his generation Davis, will be less insane.

Dismissing senior Jon Scheyer, junior Nolan Smith and junior Kyle Singler as not in the same stratosphere as a bunch of freshmen we’ve never seen play is probably the wrong way to go, though.

I like this post a lot. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

No player at Duke, has put up a .265 WS/40 and 9.5 WS total which Scheyer put up in 2010 since. Bagley is currently averaging a .265 WS/40. Which means he'd have to maintain his current pace for the remainder of the season to equal what Scheyer did that year.

Jones
RJ
Cam
Zion
Bolden
Bench-Goldwire, AOC, DeL, Robinson

Don't see anyone else getting off the bench. Slightly worried about 3pt shooting. I'd like to say we'll have a good defense with that size-6'7, 6'8, 6'7, 6'11... but who fucking knows with K.

Jones
RJ
Cam
Zion
Bolden

Don't see anyone else getting off the bench. Slightly worried about 3pt shooting. I'd like to say we'll have a good defense with that size-6'7, 6'8, 6'7, 6'11... but who fucking knows with K.

What does the minutes distribution look like in a lineup like this?

Jones
RJ
Cam
Zion
Bolden

What does the minutes distribution look like in a lineup like this?
I've already posted that in another thread.

If Bolden comes back, which I think he will, he's going to start the year in the starting lineup. If he doesn't make the leap, K will be hella quick with the hook and we'll go small.

I really hope you & @AxeS24 are correct about MB's return.

Opens up many possibilities, even with Bolden's deficiencies (I won't call them limitations, as there is no damn reason a guy with a body/footwork like that cannot be a decent rebounder).

Kinda funny to see a lot of fan reaction like "OMG NO 1 CAN GUARD US NEXT YEAR" when the offense is perennially top 5. It's always so sad that they just forget half the sport.

Maybe it’s somewhat excusable when you’re talking college hoops in June and someone says that, as memories about the prior season have faded somewhat. It’s particualry egregious when it happens smack in the middle of a season when Duke is currently 80th in defense.

Would you guys be happy if Trevon came back next year?

Seems possible to me. 1st rounders typically don't go scoreless in conference games.

It's just one game. He has big holes in his game, but also freakish athleticism/ball skills.

Tre is a 1st rounder in 2018 - take it to the bank.

He has some holes but he's working on them. He's improved his shot tremendously. He's has two bad games but he's been clutch and won us some games late. Had a great game at Miami before the recent two game skid. He'll rebound and he fine but yes, Id take him back in a heartbeat.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom