Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2018-2019

I've been think about next year's defensive potential, which I think is pretty high.

Starting lineup:

PG- Tre Jones (reputation as a good defender)
SG- Cameron Reddish (so-so reputation but is extremely long and athletic)
SF- R.J. Barrett (reputation as a good defender)
PF- Zion Williamson (so-so reputation but is a freakazoid athlete; nobody is going to bully him)
C- Marques Bolden (highest DBPM on the team in 2017-18! He is the vet and the anchor)

Then we'll have Montgomery (so so reputation) and DeLaurier (good defender) down low and O'Connell (bad defender) receiving the lion's share of the bench minutes. And we need to keep in mind that we still have 1 scholarship available assuming Trent leaves.

We keep improving game by game this year, so this leads me to believe K is still getting through to the guys, and by March we'll be humming both this year and next.

Thoughts?

Based on what I've seen of Zion this game he has a Marvin Bagley approach to defense (i.e. - don't play it if possible).

Steph Curry = Alex O’Connell
Klay Thompson = Jack White
Kevin Durant = Justin Robinson
Draymond Green = Javin DeLaurier
Zaza Pachulia = Antonio Vrankovic

Except bad at defense, not really good at three-point shooting, and super-inexperienced.

Givony's updated mock draft still doesn't have Gary Trent, Jr.

Bagley at 4
Carter at 8
Duval at 22

I'm telling y'all . . . you better prepare yourselves for the following:

PG- Tre Jones
SG- Gary Trent, Jr.
SF- R.J. Barrett
PF- Cameron Reddish
C- Zion Williamson

We'd be 9 deep (comfortably) with EJ, Bolden, and Javin seeing lots of action against bigger teams and then you have Alex.

Zion is enough of a beast that this MIGHT work on the glass and on defense. Reddish is as long or longer than Tatum, so he would be fine.

Offensively this would be impossible to guard. Maybe the best offense in KenPom history. Non-zero chance of running the table.

I am a bit mystified as to why Bradley Beal was #3 despite being a much worse shooter than Trent, while having similar height, athleticism, and physique. I know that draft was much weaker, and obviously I'm not saying Trent will become Beal. But based on the evidence, it's tough to understand this discrepancy.

Yeah, Givony is just wrong here.

He's not on NBAdraft.net's 2018 mock, either. Not saying you are wrong, Rome, but I do find all of this intriguing. You put it with the facts his dad is rich, we will have a super team next year (at least according to the press), and next year is a much weaker draft . . . you start to see sort of a perfect storm brewing! Still, a gun to my head, I say he goes. But I have hope.

Trent should be a late lottery pick IMO.

IMO:

Bagley #1
Carter #6-9
Trent #12-15
Duval #18-22
Allen #28-32

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I agree with CMon here. 12-15 seems about right.

Came across this video today, btw. His ACC-only numbers are eye-popping.

I am done doubting Axe. If he says Trent will come back, it's a lock. #SextasticSix here we go.

Not saying he is. I just have hope and see rationale for him to return. Not a given like Bagley/Carter.

I know I'd come back if I were in his shoes. Grayson Allen came back once upon a time after having an even better year than Trent is having.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom