Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Folks down on Young, but over the course of the regular season he's a valuable rotation piece.

Important return, IMO

Last edited:
Next year's roster should have no shortage of offensive weapons. Interested to see if this year's offensive woes were a blip due to poor roster construction or if we just have to lower expectations offensively going from K to Scheyer.

IMO if we don't return Proctor, Filipowski, and Mitchell I don't see next season possibly being more successful than this one. We have to be able to return talent in their sophomore and junior years if Scheyer is going to win big here. He showed a ton of promise this year but the next step will be getting talent to stay and develop for multiple years.

Bring back three freshman and it’s an A+ offseason, assuming no decommits. Bring back 2/3 and it’s suddenly just a C or so, and really bad if we lose Proctor. Bring back 1/3 or none and we’re treading water, failing operationally with NIL.

I appreciate Roach’s contribution this year but I think it’s time to shake his hand and let one of McCain/Foster take his place, assuming Proctor is staying of course. Roach is who he is at this point and from the SG perspective, emphasis on shooting, I am inclined to gamble on the upside of the two incoming guards.

If we can’t field a top 30 offense, let alone top 50, with next year’s roster, questions will rightfully crop up on Scheyer’s abilities on that end. I think he’s proven a better defensive tactician than K, but he’ll be tested without Lively next year too

Stewart seeing time at the 5 next year should occur. Kinda like 2000/2001 Duke working around Booz

PG McCain (10% usage, 130 ORtg, 40% 3pt)
SG Foster (15%, 120, 40%)
SF Mgbako (30%, 90, 25%)
PF Filipowski (35%, 105, 30%)
C Stewart (10%, 140, n/a)

Overall 32% 3pt

It’s pretty crazy how variable next season is. Don’t remember ever having an offseason since 2011 where there is legitimate, founded optimism that some highly ranked freshmen might stick around, plus such relatively unknown prospects coming in.

And then there are questions as to whether a guy like Filipowski is even a net positive if he’s forced into the PF slot again (I definitely think he’ll be a net positive, but there’s a stunningly significant chance the returning ACC FOY will be toxic, somehow).

I mean we have a top recruit in Mgbako, who some people say is an elite shooter and who others believe will be a horrible chucker for Duke. The range on his net impact next season is like Caleb Love to poor man’s Kevin Durant. Don’t know how a player like this exists.

Foster looked like he was going to be a 50% 3pt shooter when we first looked at him, then went through a period as a complete bust, and is now amazing again?

McCain is just a weird case - #1 NIL with his own social media brand, so hardly anyone even talks about him as a basketball player.

Sean Stewart sometimes looks like Zion in his highlights, but is probably not Zion. Insanely, it may be harmful for a Zion-type player to be on the team, as it pushes Filipowski to PF full time.

Trying to project this team is so stupid. Looking forward to it for the next 6 months.

The potential to finally have some degree of continuity makes for an exciting offseason. If we retain more than we lose, it's definitely going to drive home the fact we're in a fresh new era.

With that said, an understated element is the fact that we've had 3 straight years of an athletic, elite shot-blocking 7 footer patrolling the lane and erasing mistakes. So going back to having 6'9 forwards defending the paint next year invokes despondent feelings and the realization that I've been spoiled in this regard.

I didn’t realize Foster was a good shooter. I worry that a Flip-Proctor-MM core is a very nice start, but are we are one SG short? Don’t know how high impact McCain or Foster will be as 3&D which is basically what we need out of the last starting spot.

Assuming Blake’s leaves, it’s Foster, McCain or Schutt on the current roster. Not sure we’d pursue a transfer but maybe.

Folks down on Young, but over the course of tge regular season he's a valuable rotation piece.

Important return, IMO

Is it too late for him to develop a semi-reliable 3? He'd have been a lot more useful today if he was any kind of 3-pt threat.

Bring back three freshman and it’s an A+ offseason, assuming no decommits. Bring back 2/3 and it’s suddenly just a C or so, and really bad if we lose Proctor. Bring back 1/3 or none and we’re treading water, failing operationally with NIL.

I appreciate Roach’s contribution this year but I think it’s time to shake his hand and let one of McCain/Foster take his place, assuming Proctor is staying of course. Roach is who he is at this point and from the SG perspective, emphasis on shooting, I am inclined to gamble on the upside of the two incoming guards.

If we can’t field a top 30 offense, let alone top 50, with next year’s roster, questions will rightfully crop up on Scheyer’s abilities on that end. I think he’s proven a better defensive tactician than K, but he’ll be tested without Lively next year too

While I generally agree with this, if Roach wanted to come back would you not want a senior of his caliber over the relative unknown of McCain et al?

We can at this point probably pencil him in for like 108 ORating and a good understanding of the defense. Mid 30s 3pt%. Plus the value of continuity. I don’t know if McCain’s base case is as good.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom