Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bring back three freshman and it’s an A+ offseason, assuming no decommits. Bring back 2/3 and it’s suddenly just a C or so, and really bad if we lose Proctor. Bring back 1/3 or none and we’re treading water, failing operationally with NIL.

I appreciate Roach’s contribution this year but I think it’s time to shake his hand and let one of McCain/Foster take his place, assuming Proctor is staying of course. Roach is who he is at this point and from the SG perspective, emphasis on shooting, I am inclined to gamble on the upside of the two incoming guards.

If we can’t field a top 30 offense, let alone top 50, with next year’s roster, questions will rightfully crop up on Scheyer’s abilities on that end. I think he’s proven a better defensive tactician than K, but he’ll be tested without Lively next year too

While I generally agree with this, if Roach wanted to come back would you not want a senior of his caliber over the relative unknown of McCain et al?

We can at this point probably pencil him in for like 108 ORating and a good understanding of the defense. Mid 30s 3pt%. Plus the value of continuity. I don’t know if McCain’s base case is as good.

I stated my logic in the NCAAT thread but I’m a tail-ends guy who would take the gamble on the upside. To condense, we know almost exactly what we’re getting from Roach at SG and it doesn’t include outcomes where he’s shooting 40%+ from deep

Last edited:
Yeah I get that. I guess I’m just confident enough in the upside of the core of KF-TP-MM that i would be ok with a competent fourth player in the starting lineup. I’d want his usage to go down though in which case I think you could see close to 40%. Maybe thats not realistic.

McCain and Foster are really, really good shooters btw. McCain 41% from three junior year, 36% last year, with 83% from the line. MaxPreps player of the year for Cali.

Foster is 6’4, 6’5, just finished shooting 38% from deep his senior year including a CFI state championship, dropping 131 points in five playoff games including knocking out LeBron Jr’s team.

McCain 6’2, Foster 6’4 or 6’5

I don’t want to lose one of these guys for one more year of Roach. Two I’d consider, but not one.

If the 16 ppg on 50/35/87 version of Roach is the real version, then I'd probably take it over one of those guys. There's no guarantee you get any given top 40 high school recruit for more than a year anyway. And the chances of one of them putting up those kind of stats as a freshman, while playing good defense, are small.

3pt shooting is important, but what Roach was able to do getting into the lane in the last month of the season won us a lot of extra games, imo.

If you guaranteed me that Foster or McCain were staying 3+ years, then I'm definitely taking that outcome. But they could easily come in, be trash, and leave. I get that the odds probably still dictate preferring them, but I believe enough in the non-injured senior version of Roach to feel comfortable with it as a known quantity over the unknown of a freshman guard.

This is all moot anyway. Roach is gone.

Roster depth changes fast but for now Duke definitely has a depth next season of:

Foster/McCain/Mac/Power/Young
Blake’s/Schutt/Stewart/Reeves

Mitchell 50/50. Proctor 80/20 leaving. I think all others are gone. But I would love to be wrong. Early reports are we may be surprised on a guy staying but of course that always seems to be the case until last minute and they bounce to the league.

Wonder if Jon can land a big time transfer.

Roster depth changes fast but for now Duke definitely has a depth next season of:

Foster/McCain/Mac/Power/Young
Blake’s/Schutt/Stewart/Reeves

Mitchell 50/50. Proctor 80/20 leaving. I think all others are gone. But I would love to be wrong. Early reports are we may be surprised on a guy staying but of course that always seems to be the case until last minute and they bounce to the league.

Wonder if Jon can land a big time transfer.
Given that roster, if Young started over Stewart, I would not watch.

If that's the lineup and we are starting 5 freshmen next year, count me out. I was already done with K's annual revolving door program, and I only followed this year because I wanted to see how Jon would do things differently. If he's running the program the same way as end of his career K, hoping to catch a 2015 lightning in a bottle again, he has no chance to succeed any way and I'll just save myself both the time and the heartache.

Mitchell 50/50. Proctor 80/20 leaving.

Where are these probabilities coming from? They don’t align with what other, credible Duke media people have mentioned

I should’ve stated this was simply how I felt about each of them staying. Lately I tend to lean towards players leaving with all the guys who haven’t been ready in the past and still have gone (despite insider reports of the kid leaning towards staying in school). Hope this is the year Duke can finally bring back at least 2 talented freshmen as sophomores. Getting them back will obviously be huge for Jon and overall team success.

I think different schools do it different ways, but I know that here at UGA, the collective (or at least "a" collective that I know someone who works for) creates opportunities for the students to make money off their NIL that don't rely on other businesses --- things like autograph sessions, events, subscription bundles, etc.

I think different schools do it different ways, but I know that here at UGA, the collective (or at least "a" collective that I know someone who works for) creates opportunities for the students to make money off their NIL that don't rely on other businesses --- things like autograph sessions, events, subscription bundles, etc.
FSU has two collectives, one that works to secure NIL opportunities for all student athletes, and one that focuses mainly on football.

The football one started as a collective that gets funding from high dollar boosters that are currently anonymous. They just recently opened it up to public fundraising as well. It doesn’t appear to be tied to any specific companies, but it’s been huge in helping retain tweener NFL talent.

I’m truly shocked that Duke doesn’t have something like this setup, but admittedly I don’t know what, if any, state legislation exists that could make this more difficult.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom