Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Bball Alumni

i'm going to keep coping by assuming this is some gambit where he wants out of New Orleans and to New York or LA, knows demanding a trade would be PR suicide, so is lard-assing it hoping to get traded, where he will then have an inspirational turnaround story that involves him losing a bunch of weight and getting back to elite form

He's made one of his last 10 three point attempts. Down to 40% on the season. Needs a nice 3/5 game now. On the plus side, his FG% and PPG keep going up.

i'm going to keep coping by assuming this is some gambit where he wants out of New Orleans and to New York or LA, knows demanding a trade would be PR suicide, so is lard-assing it hoping to get traded, where he will then have an inspirational turnaround story that involves him losing a bunch of weight and getting back to elite form
I want him to win in NO. That's such a better story. Plus, I really like a lot of their other players. I don't like anyone on NY, including RJ.

Also, a dude refusing to try on a team that's accumulated this much talent with the sole reason being "I don't want to be in a small market" is pathetic and unlikable. It's not like they've failed to build around him.

My theory is that he's just a simple, hedonistic man who is perfectly content eating and banging whatever and whomever he wants all the time, all while making hundreds of millions of dollars to jog around on a court a few dozen times per year.

He just also happens to be the most gifted player in the sport's history, so he's still in a stratosphere mostly populated by players that actually have willpower and work ethic, which makes it seem unusual.

My theory is that he's just a simple, hedonistic man who is perfectly content eating and banging whatever and whomever he wants all the time, all while making hundreds of millions of dollars to jog around on a court a few dozen times per year.

He just also happens to be the most gifted player in the sport's history, so he's still in a stratosphere mostly populated by players that actually have willpower and work ethic, which makes it seem unusual.
To me, the preternaturally athletically gifted are actually at a mental disadvantage, which is why I tend to be lower on them as prospects.

It's like this meme, which describes my whole existence.
Academically gifted.jpeg

Last edited:
I will say I’m quite shocked by Zion’s behavior in the league. He was in fantastic shape at Duke and always played extremely hard. I still remember him diving on the floor for a loose ball when we were up 80 in an exhibition game. He’s not a guy I’d have pegged as having motivational issues at all.

@rome8180 That meme hits hard. I’ve abandoned hope for myself, but I already see it in my 9-year-old. Been trying to work with him on perseverance.
I think your efforts could make a difference. I guess we'll check back in about 15 years.

In retrospect, my parents were quick to let me quit something.

I remember being at basketball camp one year and enjoying it a lot. There were plenty of kids who were better than I was, but I wasn't the worst. I even made a buzzer beater.

The next year, they moved me up a level. The kids in that level were much better. We had a drill where you walked up and down the court dribbling between your legs without hunching over or breaking stride at all. Everyone could do it effortlessly. I couldn't come close. I told my mom I didn't want to go anymore. She said okay and got the rest of her money back.

Stuff like that is probably not helpful, even if she was just trying to save me from a miserable week.

I'm not going to give him credit for being this clever and methodical. I think he's just lazy and likes to eat too much.

@rome8180 That meme hits hard. I’ve abandoned hope for myself, but I already see it in my 9-year-old. Been trying to work with him on perseverance.
Same with me and my 2 kids. I won't let either of them quit anything. If they beg us to sign up, they are completing whatever they sign up for. I don't care how miserable they are, they live in a world where they can have virtually anything they want.

Both of my kids have "it's too hard" meltdowns and I get fucking volcanic, which I have to completely contain or the situation escalates beyond repair.

People who do everything for their kids and who give them everything except responsibilities end up with adult children (literally) who are just waiting for their parents to die so they can burn through their assets as quickly as possible.

People who do everything for their kids and who give them everything except responsibilities end up with adult children (literally) who are just waiting for their parents to die so they can burn through their assets as quickly as possible.
I do think there are intrinsic personality differences that transcend environment though. I always find it weird when a rich kid is really hardworking and perseverant. I have a friend who now plays guitar for Taylor Swift. He's played for Miley Cyrus, Kesha, and Demi Lovato as well. He is the son of very rich and famous parents. But he didn't get given these jobs because of his parents. Of course, it afforded him opportunities the rest of us don't have. But Taylor Swift doesn't care who your parents are. She wants you to never make a mistake, ever. He's easily the best guitarist I've ever known, and that's because he's been taking lessons since he was four, and he literally practices 10 hours a day.

Where did that motivation come from? He easily could have floated through life. As far as I can tell, that's what his brother has done.

And of course, this is a very separate issue than being told you're smart and talented early and having things come easy to you. That doesn't necessarily cause laziness or dependency. What it causes is impossible standards and expectations that everything else will come easily to you too. You end up protecting yourself emotionally by never really trying.

Also, #anotherthreadruined

Orlando, Dallas, and New Orleans all win. Zion had an amazing game, scoring 36 pts on 13-17 shooting. Dereck Lively went for 16 and 16. Only downside is Paolo's 3pt percentage continues to plummet. He was at like 45% but has gone something like 1-13 over his last several games.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom