Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

A big rotation of White-Williamson-DeLaurier with maybe 5-7 minutes a game of Barrett at the 4 is as versatile, switchable, and even just "good" defensive rotation we've ever had at those positions.

There were 4 straight posessions where Roy schemed to get Del defending White. Resulted in two 3s and a blow-by layup.

K got absolutely bent over in this one. Can’t fucking wait for him to go.I
I’d rather lose with inferior talent than continue to lose with superior.

Yeah I don't see it that way. If we had elected to hedge ball screens, it likely would have resulted in giving Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson open 3's. Carolina would have attacked the rotation on whoever was tagging the roller. They have too many shooters to just hedge. I thought Duke had the right idea. In a re-match I would just like to see the helpside guys (a couple of times it was Jack and RJ) be more aware. Carolina was running good stuff but if they attack the switches that way one of the helpside guys could rotate over and draw a charge or force a contested paint shot- Coby White isn't super high IQ, and I don't think he'll make the read.

A big rotation of White-Williamson-DeLaurier with maybe 5-7 minutes a game of Barrett at the 4 is as versatile, switchable, and even just "good" defensive rotation we've ever had at those positions.

Javin usually does a pretty decent job when being switched out, but not many guys can dance around like Coby White and hit that 3. He's very talented. I'm fine with the switching against most teams, and I'm even with it against UNC. They forced UNC to adjust to it after the half and to their credit they did, but if Duke wants to switch again Friday, assuming both teams, they'll have that counter UNC used scouted out.

Switching everything is pretty much the ideal K strategy at this point, given that you can otherwise assume Duke's ballscreen will be an absolute disaster. There was the stretch in 2017 when he teased us with appearing to actually coach ballscreen defense, and we iced or dropped everything... and all was great. But he's apparently wiped that from his memory, so switching everything is probably the least damaging sacrifice we can hope for.

It's basically the equivalent of his offense, though. Roll the ball out with a major talent adventage, let them improvise on offense and switch everything on D, and assume your OADs will be good enough individually to overcome both the opposing players + actual coaching.

Tre 40
Cam 38
RJ 38
Zion 35
Jav 20
Bench
White 20
AOC 7
Gold 2

I bet we see something like this.

As SMTTEM sort of indicated in the Zion thread, if the last 6 games have been a good microcosm for our season-long SOS, was K without a Zion commitment really going to field a team that only put up the 81st most efficient offense in the country? Disgusting.

Last edited:
I think he would have tinkered over the summer and fall until he came up with something that worked. Our offense usually looks good out of the gate, but we don't see the trial and error leading up to that.

And he likely didn't want to mess with much with Zion being out, knowing he was coming back in three, excuse me four, oops, I meant five, never mind six, games.

There were 4 straight posessions where Roy schemed to get Del defending White. Resulted in two 3s and a blow-by layup.

K got absolutely bent over in this one. Can’t fucking wait for him to go.

I’d rather lose with inferior talent than continue to lose with superior.

There was a possession where Reddish got the ball on the wing guarded by Andrew Platek and he just gave the ball to Tre Jones and walked to the corner. I died.

Yea i was a little harsh on ol’ Papi there. I should never post right after losses. But Cam’s decision making should be better by now. He’s had a full season to improve on this. He’s either:
A) Uncoachable
B) An idiot
C) Coached by a man who requests improvement rather than demands it.

Could be any combination of the three but i’m going with option C—the guy obsessed with facial expressions.

And @wtbball21 broke it down better than i did but theres just no way K should allow Roy to exploit the predictable switching multiple times down the court. Watching Del get abused by White once should’ve been enough...basically 4 straight times is inexcusable.

Feel like a better graph would be performance by actual pre-tournament KP ratings. That way you eliminate a lot of the luck of having an upset in your region and opens up your bracket.

The entire concept of actual vs expected performance based on seed is absurd. It's a system that penalizes you for earning a higher seed. Actual tournament performance, independent of expectations, is far more useful information.

The entire concept of actual vs expected performance based on seed is absurd. It's a system that penalizes you for earning a higher seed. Actual tournament performance, independent of expectations, is far more useful information.
Exactly what I thought when I saw that graph. UK is rewarded for reaching the Finals as an 8 and Final Four as a 4. But WGAF what your seed was? Did you make the Final Four or not?

The "drop back and protect the paint at all costs" defense is the most effective strategy in the NBA right now.

Milwaukee has seen a massive improvement this year by playing this type of defense. Last year they were playing typical Duke defense.

The "drop back and protect the paint at all costs" defense is the most effective strategy in the NBA right now.
I think the one issue with this in the college game is one hot shooting night by an opponent can end your season. You can't average it out over a series. I know numbers suggest that you can't control your opponent's 3pt%, but you can definitely control their attempts. I think if you start getting torched in the tournament, you better be able to chase people off the line.

Milwaukee has seen a massive improvement this year by playing this type of defense. Last year they were playing typical Duke defense.

The 2019 Bucks and 2015 Duke have one important commonality: each thrived after shedding the actual and metaphorical weight of Jabari Parker.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom