Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

There were 4 straight posessions where Roy schemed to get Del defending White. Resulted in two 3s and a blow-by layup.

K got absolutely bent over in this one. Can’t fucking wait for him to go.

I’d rather lose with inferior talent than continue to lose with superior.

I’m sick of K’s let’s just give it to RJ and Cam and let them create. Partially because RJ can only do so much and Kenny Williams got in his head today and partially because Cam loses the ball on 80% of his drives.

The only reason Duke was ever in this game was Reddish giving a 99th percentile output. Still lost by triple the spread.

I’m sick of K’s let’s just give it to RJ and Cam and let them create. Partially because RJ can only do so much and Kenny Williams got in his head today and partially because Cam loses the ball on 80% of his drives.

...and didn't bulldoze over defenders all game, he left that to R.J.

Yeah, Jesus, I meant that his first half specifically was what kept us even at the half, but didn't realize quite how bad he got in the second. Fairly certain he was 5-8 FG for 17 points late in the first - which means he finished with six points on 1-15 shooting.

I preferred when we had inferior talent that could shoot 3s. Those games where we were complete underdogs but went small and bombed 3s were glorious.

Of course, having superior talent that could shoot 3s was even better. But this superior talent that can't shoot bullshit is the worst.

I think K’s best case against this is Tyler Thornton, and most Duke fans in the wild think he was a bad player and his being on the court represented a failure by K. Nowhere near Luke Maye.

If it has to be a non-top-50 player, the best we can do is Thornton, Miles, or even Seth Curry over his time at Duke despite his big numbers at Louisville.

If we're talking actual player development, Ryan Kelly and Nolan Smith both developed a shit-ton from their freshman years to their senior years.

Marshall Plumlee kinda fits between the two categories. He was Top 40 or so, although most people viewed him as raw and overrated.

You can also make the case that guys like Ingram and Kennard developed their offensive games a lot over one or two years.

The choice to just be a switching defense on screens no matter the opponent is maddening to me. Any good coach is going to scheme getting a Javin on a quick guard or Tre guarding in the post. Plus, how many times do they screw up the switch and leave a shooter open. Switching 1 through 5 is great against a team that can’t take you 1 on 1 on mismatches. That run that White went on when Javin got switched on to him basically sealed the game. That and having the ball down 5 and having nothing to go to in halfcourt offense resulting in a blocked 3. I’ve seen it said here before and I agree, they should be trying to get Barrett in the post especially when he had size on Williams.

I’m very interested to see these Zion at the center lineups. I do think losing Bolden only hurts if the other team has multiple bigs that can score inside. Defensively, Jack and Javin rebound as well as Bolden does and are better in switches. Offensively, Zion at the 5 unlocks a lot more spacing. Even though Carolina could hide Maye on O’Connell, Brooks would now be forced to matchup with Zion. I guess you could see a team say we are going to put our two weakest defenders on Tre and O’Connell/White/Delaurier no matter their position and matchup with the other three. I’d have to imagine most coaches wouldn’t think to do that though.

My main doubt about life without Bolden is whether Duke will play more Zion at center, or whether that’s just wishful thinking by the fanbase, similar to our wishful thinking that burning Baker’s redshirt would result in Baker playing in games.

Feels to me like this may actually be one of the times where K is backed into a "brilliant" coaching move of starting Zion at center through the postseason. However, the other big question to me if so, is, how do O'Connell's vs White's minutes stack up?

Sucks so much that White became dead, as he really would be the perfect fifth player if he could just hit open threes. As it is, feels like the ceiling is much higher with O'Connell, even though the potential flaws are a lot scarier.

My main doubt about life without Bolden is whether Duke will play more Zion at center, or whether that’s just wishful thinking by the fanbase, similar to our wishful thinking that burning Baker’s redshirt would result in Baker playing in games.

The frustrations of this season must be getting to your head if you're doubting this. Krzyzewski's always playing smaller more versatile defenders at the 5 when he can, abut apart from that, there's not really an other option. K will give Javin, Jack, and Alex rotation minutes alongside the freshmen, with about 5 for JG. Even if Javin gets 25 minutes a game, that's still 15 minutes a game of Zion at center.

Yeah, Zion is going to have to play more time at the 5 now. K isn’t going to play Vrank. The 4 freshmen will play 35. That’s going to leave about 45-50 minutes left. Jav probably gets 20, 15 for White and 5-10 for AOC

The frustrations of this season must be getting to your head if you're doubting this. Krzyzewski's always playing smaller more versatile defenders at the 5 when he can, abut apart from that, there's not really an other option. K will give Javin, Jack, and Alex rotation minutes alongside the freshmen, with about 5 for JG. Even if Javin gets 25 minutes a game, that's still 15 minutes a game of Zion at center.
Yeah, my point is that’s not enough. Javin 25 minutes at center and Zion 15 minutes at center is not what anyone here is hoping for.

And K “always playing smaller more versatile defenders at the 5” is simply not true based on the current season. Did you watch this season? I mean, that’s the whole premise of this “Zion might actually play more at center” revelation.

[
Yeah, my point is that’s not enough. Javin 25 minutes at center and Zion 15 minutes at center is not what anyone here is hoping for.

And K “always playing smaller more versatile defenders at the 5” is simply not true based on the current season. Did you watch this season? I mean, that’s the whole premise of this “Zion might actually play more at center” revelation.

I'm not going to get all CMon with the minutes, but 15 mpg at center a night for Zion would be a solid amount, and a big upgrade from the 3 or so we averaged when Zion was healthy. The formula for Zion-at-center minutes will likely be 40-Javin's minutes. Javin averages 15 mpg now, although I would guess that'll go up for games that Bolden misses. Maybe it's a 20/20 split at best.

Sort of a non-sequitur, but remember that Jones-Barrett-White-Williamson-DeLaurier has been our most effective regular lineup at +55.6 (e.g., more than 7 minutes of action). Purely guessing, but I'd bet we get a lot more transition opportunities with that look than many others.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom