Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Duke Athletics should just pay me to scour Twitter looking for good basketball prospects. Current staff is unable to see anyone ranked below top 10. It's an eye problem.

Honestly, does anyone think there is any chance at Brad Stevens? I feel like he's the type of guy who wouldn't want it to be in the NBA forever, and wouldn't mind a return to college, but then again that might just be my biases of wanting him to coach at Duke.

One compliment for the staff amid all of the deserved bashing over the last two weeks: I kind of like the way they've used the bigs this year. Especially after the Gonzaga game, K seems to have a good sense of when we're playing against the kind of offense where Bolden is going to be a liability. It would be simplistic to look at DeLaurier dropping every pass or White missing every shot and just stick Bolden in there for 30 minutes, but that's likely a worse option especially in certain matchups (and +/- data, while flawed, supports some of that). They've also gone small with Zion at the 5 when appropriate.

I really thought in December when White was good that Jones-Barrett-Reddish-White-Zion was going to be tie game, 4 min to go lineup in the postseason. White is too fragile to be a part of that.

Of course, the fact that they may have used the bigs well doesn't negate the inexplicable worsening of DeLaurier since last year.

Last edited:
Stevens would be the only reason I continue following the program once K retires. Can't settle for anyone less.

I would like to say, that despite his slow regression as a coach, I still am on board with Coach K, even with some of the ridiculous post game press conferences. Are there better coaches? Sure, but he's 72 years old and for his age he's very good.

With that said, it would forever damage my opinion of him, if Duke didn't go after Brad Stevens because Coach K insisted on some Duke alum like Capel, Wojo, Dawkins or someone else getting the job at Duke. I would be furious. I would also want Kevin White immediately fired for not doing his job.

You have to at the very least check in on Stevens considering the rumblings in the past about him and Duke (I believe IU was the other school).

Stevens will not be succeeding Coach K. He would have to be the guy after the guy after Coach K..

From a February 2019 article in The Athletic it sounds like K will insist a former player/assistant gets the job:

Former Krzyzewski players and assistant coaches are the top candidates. “I would hope it’s someone who has played here and has worked for me,” Coach K said. “Understanding Duke is a very important part of this job.” (First-year Pitt coach Jeff Capel, who also has previous head coaching experience at VCU and Oklahoma, and served Coach K as an assistant from 2011-18, leads this list. Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski, Northwestern’s Chris Collins and Harvard’s Tommy Amaker also fit the description well.)

Maybe insist is a strong word since K also said in the article that Duke is bigger than he is, so the decision will not be his alone to make. But I think we've all known for a while that K will pretty hand pick the next guy, and it will be one of his guys.

I read that article when it came out, which is why I wrote the post that I did above. I'll be furious if Duke doesn't even look outside of the Duke tree simply because Coach K wants it to be someone from Duke, which is honestly fucked up thinking because unless the next coach is a superstar like Stevens, they will fail taking over after Coach K.

Well if you read it, I don't know why you'll be furious. You already know it's going to happen. You have like 3 or 4 more years to accept this.

Maybe Capel left because k told him that Stevens had the first shot.

...pure speculation, no source.....

I'm assuming there's a good chance that Kevin White is good enough at his job and understands he's holding the keys to a 50-100 million dollar a year business that he doesn't let a 75 year old dictate terms.

FWIW I think Stevens is the only coach in the world White would contact before accepting K's handpicked successor.

I remember back in the day Stevens was really slobbing all over Duke and K's knob. He publicly stated how he read K's books iirc

this is fucking hilarious.

“I love the fact that he’s growing like this and wanted to be in that environment,” he told Stevens. “Some people would call it pressure. But he wanted the opportunity to expand his abilities, and they’re just not shooting and ball-handling, they’re leadership-wise.”
In spite of Irving’s tremendous basketball skills, what Krzyzewski finds most impressive about his former player is his ability to maintain a “strong face” — something that he frequently discusses with his players.

“I tell our guys all the time you don’t always speak with words,” he explained. “You speak with how you look. I think [Kyrie has] become much more vocal, but he really has a strong leader’s face.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/12/19/celtics-brad-stevens-duke-mike-krzyzewski

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom