Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Manning was playing tic tac toe while K was eating playdoh

Dammit. Lol'd at this. Too accurate of a description of that dumb fucking game.

Re: K retiring, it's hard for me to fathom anything worse than him coaching next year. Scheyer, Capel, Wojo, literally anyone else would be at least mildly interesting. K coaching that team is going to be so goddamned depressing and predictable, though.

I do think the results of the next coach are likely to be worse. We win 25+ games every single year. There are only a dozen or so coaches that do that.

However, I would welcome the change. This is the CBB equivalent to being an NBA 5 seed year in and out. Better to shake things up.

With a healthy Zion, this team is K's last one that has a shot at sniffing a title. He's not going anywhere for 4+ years, though. Capel leaving for Pitt and K's grandson joining the team next year make this clear to me. It will be brutal once OAD goes away. K is just stockpiling talent and hoping for the best at this point.

Which is why he's so worried about bringing back Zion too early. He doesn't want to do anything to weaken the recruiting carousel he's on.

I think it will be better when we go away from OAD, personally- as long as Coach K gets back to having a system year to year. I miss having an identity, even if it was shooting too many threes and not having any post players like we did from 07-09

Edit: I really think OAD is hurting the program. You have to change your system every single season. Last season we had 2 bigs and played zone. This year we have no bigs we dump the ball and play denial man to man. That is a DRASTIC change from year to year, and it significantly hurts the development of players like Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden. O'Connell's shooting transfers anywhere but it still hurts his overall development as a player.

UNC, Villanova, and UVA all have systems, each one is different. UNC loves to run, they are great in the secondary break, and traditionally have 2 bigs. The last couple of years Roy has shifted away from 2 bigs but the identity of the program hasn't changed. Villanova loves to run 4 out, they are the best drive and kick team in the nation every year, their footwork fundamentals are outstanding and practiced every single day, and UVA has the pack-line and mover/blocker, and this year they have added a lot of ball screen but that hasn't changed their identity. And they all are filled with multi-year players.

Duke has no identity like the programs above, IMO. Which I imagine also hurts the culture within the program which is why we have so many damn transfers.

Last edited:
. K is just stockpiling talent and hoping for the best at this point.

Yep, that's exactly what it is and exactly what I was telling a buddy of mine who is a giant fucking homer. He never blames K for shit. I told him K these days is just a fucking talent accumulator and he hopes that by being the best at accumulating talent it will result in wins and championships.

I think the mistake that Duke made was going balls deep on OAD and copying exactly what Kentucky does. The perfect way to do it is to run an offensive system which is modern and aesthetically pleasing (Villanova has this) while recruiting a team of low 5-star and high 4-star players that fit within that system so they can develop as they grow within the program, and then find the special OAD's who work very well within that framework.

This may be unpopular, but Marvin Bagley is an example of a player that Duke probably didn't need but took just to accumulate talent. I think Trevon Duval, Grayson Allen, and Gary Trent Jr all would've had better seasons if Duke was running 4 out with Carter Jr in the post.

I think the mistake that Duke made was going balls deep on OAD and copying exactly what Kentucky does. The perfect way to do it is to run an offensive system which is modern and aesthetically pleasing (Villanova has this) while recruiting a team of low 5-star and high 4-star players that fit within that system so they can develop as they grow within the program, and then find the special OAD's who work very well within that framework.

This may be unpopular, but Marvin Bagley is an example of a player that Duke probably didn't need but took just to accumulate talent. I think Trevon Duval, Grayson Allen, and Gary Trent Jr all would've had better seasons if Duke was running 4 out with Carter Jr in the post.
It's not unpopular with me, but expect some shit from CMon.

It's pretty telling that last year we didn't collapse with Marvin out like we have with Zion. None of us here we're remotely worried about it either. Zion is obviously superior, but the bigger difference is that Marvin wasn't really a value-add. Heck, covering up his defense was one of the things that led us to zone.

Also, stockpiling OAD players works better when you have the "roll the ball out and let 10 guys play" strategy Cal does. K wants to have it both ways. He wants to not coach, but he also wants to micromanage rotations.

Meh, our three truly OAD dominated teams - 2015, 2018, and 2019 - have been all pretty damn good at full strength. 2015 won the title, 2018 was literally an inch away from making the FF, and this team is the best in the country when healthy (sad that we won't see them in that form again).

Wrt to your second point, Duval was not a smart player, Grayson was never the same player as an upperclassman, and Trent shot 40% on a fairly high volume of 3s, so I highly doubt any of them, nor the team as a whole, would have been better without Bagley. He was a monster, even with his defensive woes. What we needed most in 2018 was steadier PG play.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom