Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I fondly remember 2013. I think we were a shattered leg away from the Final 4 (probably not)

2013 was fairly enjoyable. I think we'd have made the FF if we hadn't been in Louisville's bracket. The only year I can really say that about. But overall, the next two seasons will color my perspective on the post-2010 era.

Well, even if Duke is a dominant 1 seed, they’re probably not winning the title just going by the numbers and how the tournament works, so it should be easy to declare the OAD era a failure. I think if Duke can get a 1 seed with a top 25 defense and make it to the Final Four, that’s good enough to get out of the “Fire K” phase.

The preparation for Indiana on our defensive end was terrible.

The playcalling down the stretch was pretty good, though.

It appears this year will end the same as most others. Duke will hang tough for a half vs a lesser seed before getting torched in the 2nd half in front of a bunch of UNC fans.

It's not that hard to call that play repeatedly, though. You've got fucking Grayson Allen and Marvin Bagley against a couple of nobodies. Running some basic action to get Grayson the ball on the wing and Bagley decent post position isn't exactly tactical brilliance.

And Coach K basically said, "Yeah, they have to get used to playing big minutes." After complaining about our lack of depth last year (a lack of depth created entirely by his coaching).

Our bench unit of Javin, Bolden, AOC, Gold and White or Tucker would probably be a .500 ACC team. Duke's lack of depth is always the Master at Work (MoW)

Good YouTube video on switching man to man vs. non-switching man to man in one game between the Lakers and Rockets recently. Recommended viewing for the Duke coaching staff.

I swear, those first two plays after "The Alternative" (4:00) are still switches. Ball clearly goes with the screener, and Lopez just happens to play Harden for the drive and sink toward the bucket. Maybe Ball's just that bad at "fighting over the screen".

So I guess the takeaway is supposed to be that the Rockets scored 1.41 ppp vs switches, and 1.36 vs soft hedges/unders? Meh. That's like a one bucket difference. In fact, if he counted those two switch-and-drop possessions as switches, it would be 1.50 ppg on the remaining non-switch possessions.

I'd say the only real takeaway is that the Lakers suck at defense. Houston's good, but only averaging 1.114 ppp overall.

I think the takeaway is that playing without switching was more effective temporarily, but Houston was good enough to counter. I also think it showed what a bad idea it is to switch if you've got an immobile big.

I still learned a lot from that video, even if there was no ultimate "lesson."

Ultimately the PNR strategy in m2m has to be more nuanced than either extreme. The other team knowing in advance that we switch everything makes it too easy to exploit (I see you, Angel Rodriguez).

Back when Nowitzki and Nash were at their peaks for Dallas / PHX, there was an awesome SI piece (Jack McCallum, I think) about how Dallas gameplanned for ball screens involving Nash, all based on who the screener was and who the defender was. I don't know if college players are not savvy enough for that, but it seems useful.

Ultimately the PNR strategy in m2m has to be more nuanced than either extreme. The other team knowing in advance that we switch everything makes it too easy to exploit (I see you, Angel Rodriguez).

Back when Nowitzki and Nash were at their peaks for Dallas / PHX, there was an awesome SI piece (Jack McCallum, I think) about how Dallas gameplanned for ball screens involving Nash, all based on who the screener was and who the defender was. I don't know if college players are not savvy enough for that, but it seems useful.

I can see us doing that in March but not before.

I can’t think of a duke team in recent memory capable of executing something like that. Jury still out on this unit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom