Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

“Many schools are still recruiting me. MSU, Villanova, Michigan, Ohio State, & Purdue have called most recently,” Christie told Stockrisers.

I dont like this. NOt prioritizing Christie anymore? Maybe becase of Griffin? we need shooting.

Last edited:
“Many schools are still recruiting me. MSU, Villanova, Michigan, Ohio State, & Purdue have called most recently,” Christie told Stockrisers.

I dont like this. NOt prioritizing Christie anymore? Maybe becase of Griffin? we need shooting.

Playing for Illinois this year Griffin shot 42% from 3 and 86% from the FT line. He also averaged 4.5 rebounds per game and is a strong and athletic 6'5. He doesn't seem like a play maker, but he's also not a turnover machine (0.6 assists, 0.8 turnovers). Considering that Griffin can shoot the absolute lights, is a good rebounder from the guard spot, and he'll be 4 years into college and like 21-22 years old, I honestly prefer him over Christie, especially if we land Keels to be a multi-year guy.

Based on having 4 years in college by that point when they would both be eligible to play at Duke, and having already proven to be an elite shooter, I definitely think I prefer Griffin to Christie head to head. Elite shooter, 4 years in college, and already sat out a year at Duke learning the system and getting comfortable.

Alan Griffin 4th year in college > freshman Max Christie, IMO.

edit: and if Christie winds up going to the Big Ten or Villanova that's probably fine. Just stay from UNC and Kentucky.

Last edited:

Maybe because of Keels?

Regardless, how could we back off this guy? Talk about an ideal fit.

Yes, I would much rather have Griffin than Christie in that regard. I just want to be sure we are locking up Griffin before moving away form Christie. Just not trying to get screwed by backing off.

We got an official from Keels, didn't we?

I don't know. I like Christie more than I like Keels/Griffin. Just seems really poised and in control, and like he would be around for several seasons at least. I see him as a better shooter/handler than Keels, in the Scheyer mold. Really nice shooting stroke, but not quite Pat Baldwin OAD frame/ all-around game yet.

I'd guess Christie is the best single player if you want to maximize a starting five. If you could get Griffin/Keels though, you a) get a perimeter player only a half step below Christie in the same class (Keels), b) another seemingly ideal 3-and-D guy who is more mature and used to big-time college BB, c) a guy who might get our star pg recruit to stay an extra year, and d) keep Keels from UVA, where he would be a nightmare.

I like Christie a ton, and we shouldn't even consider backing off unless the Keels/Griffin duo is a sure thing. And you could make an argument that in hoops, two $5 bills aren't as good as one $10 bill. But I think I'd take the duo from what I've read.

Last edited:
I agree a lot with what @deeyoukayeee shared. My feeling is that Griffin on his own is probably better than Christie, but then Griffin and Keels together makes it not much of a debate. Just my two cents.

Do we really think Christie is so good he'd be better than a redshirt junior Griffin? I'm not dismissing that idea. I honestly don't know enough about Christie to say.

Went digging for reliable Christie stats with no success. But I did learn his name is Cormac Carl Christie Jr., which is way more badass than Max Christie.

I would like an Alan Griffin commitment this week. Some treats from Duke basketball would be nice during this pandemic.

Do we really think Christie is so good he'd be better than a redshirt junior Griffin? I'm not dismissing that idea. I honestly don't know enough about Christie to say.

I don't think Christie would be better in 2021-22, no.

I still kinda think if you can only have one player, he may be a better program piece, if that makes any sense. I'd expect him to be here longer. Do we think that a RS-junior Alan Griffin would come back and play a second year as a grad student with A.J. off in the pros? I'm skeptical.

He's ranked #13 in the country and is considered one of the best shooters in his class and he's 6'6/6'7. He's probably going to be one and done, especially if goes to Duke where that has sort of become the expectation for top 20 recruits.

I don't think Christie would be better in 2021-22, no.

I still kinda think if you can only have one player, he may be a better program piece, if that makes any sense. I'd expect him to be here longer. Do we think that a RS-junior Alan Griffin would come back and play a second year as a grad student with A.J. off in the pros? I'm skeptical.
I agree, I think if they got Griffin then it would be a Rodney Hood situation where he plays one season. His numbers are crazy efficient and it seems he was badly underutilized at Illinois.
I am of the belief that Christie is likely a one and done due to his ranking and size with shooting ability. That may be why Duke is focusing more on Keels. I believe Keels will be in college multiple years and is a guy that they can probably get away with bringing off the bench and or not playing a ton as a freshman. Christie isn’t going anywhere where he’s not a starter right away.

Christie is relatively tall, but he's listed at 165. Doesn't look to have NBA physicality yet, but he's also not even a senior in high school. If he's going to be OAD, then I would say Griffin is likely to contribute more.

If he's multiyear, then, yeah, I can see him being the more valuable contributor.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom