Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

I don't have great handle on what makes Banchero special. I'm really only in on him because Sam Vecenie and Cole Zwicker praised his basketball IQ. The four comparison I've found online are pretty different from each other: Boozer, Brand, Tobias Harris, and David West. I'm guessing those comparisons result from him being 6'8"-ish and able to hit midrange jumpers. Only one of those guys is a good defender (unless David West was and I'm forgetting).

I've read that Banchero is an unusually good passer for his position, which is intriguing.

I honestly don't have a good comparison for him. He can play down low and take advantage of mismatches in the post either facing up or with his back to the basket, but he doesn't rely on that the way our other recent dominant big men have. I think it's best to not even consider him a "big man" in the traditional sense.

I view him as an almost ideal 5 in basketball today, assuming he rebounds well. He can take advantage of mistmaches down low either posting up smaller guys or facing up bigger/slower defenders. However, he can also play on the perimeter and he does so naturally with a good feel for the game and a nice change of pace/direction. He can drive it from the perimeter, he seems to have a good IQ and he passes well. He handles it well, and while he's probably not a great shooter, he seems to have decent form and if he just hits open 3's in addition to being able to consistently drive it from the wing, he's a total match-up nightmare at the college level. I know he's listed as a power forward but the traditional understanding of the power forward position is not how I would classify him, at all.

A front-court of: Griffin-Baldwin-Banchero would cause me to more hyped than Zion-RJ-Cam. The pieces fit perfectly because like @sjsj2448 mentioned, they can all do actual basketball things and not be a disaster, and the shooting should be much, much better than it was in 2019. All three of those guys can shoot the ball.

2019 summer shooting numbers:

Paolo Banchero: FT 77%, 3pt 29%- For a 6'9 "power forward" I think this is super encouraging. The FT shooting is very promising and IMO leads me to believe that on a team with good spacing and a bunch of shooters/drivers allowing him to get step-in threes, I think it's very plausible to believe he could be a 40% 3pt shooter on low to moderate volume. Heck, I know last year scarred us, but we've been pretty damn good at developing shooters overall. It wasn't on high volume, but everyone forgets this staff had Winslow shoot 42% from 3 and 64% from FT, Marvin Bagley shot 40% from 3 and 63% from FT, and Wendell Carter Jr shot 41% from 3 and 74% from FT. Again, as a sophomore heading into his junior year, Banchero shot 77% from the FT line on 154 attempts. Considering that Banchero is already at a 77% FT rate and that was before his junior year, I think this bodes extremely well. Couple that in with the fact that he's a skilled ball handler and passer, AND he still has a lot of time to develop on work on his shooting, I think it's very likely he develops into a capable and reliable 3pt shooter in his one college season. The other thing to note about these stats is that for the summer circuit, getting to the FT line 154 times is very, very high.

I personally think Banchero might be the best offensive player in the class, and I think he would be even better if he joined a Duke class with Baldwin and Griffin (along with whatever guards we bring in & return). There will be space for him to do his thing and take advantage of mismatches inside while also being able to get open, in rhythm jumpers on the perimeter, which also means he'll have space to drive.

Patrick Baldwin: FT 85% on 40 attempts, 3pt 35% on 111 attempts. Overall I personally think Banchero is a much more talented scorer than Baldwin. I think he's better at driving to the basket, and I think he's better inside than Baldwin is (at this point in their careers). Baldwin is the better shooter and will continue to develop. As of right now, that's all I really see is Baldwin is. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that- he's a 6'8/6'9 shooter that will continue to develop but hopefully he adds more to his game. It's been said he has a high IQ and is a playmaker but I don't really see that reflected in the stats. He averaged 1.6 assists per game in the summer compared to 1.3 turnovers. he also only averaged 4.5 rebounds per game. For comparisons sake, Banchero averaged 4 assists per game to 2.7 turnovers, and he averaged 11 rebounds. I love the shooting from Baldwin, but at this stage Banchero is a much more complete and to be quite frank I don't even think it's that close. I still would love to have Baldwin and think he fits perfectly between Banchero and Griffin.

AJ Griffin: His stats are very hard to decipher as it seems he was probably dominating but just driving at team's and physically imposing his dominance on them. He shot 50% from the FT line on just 16 attempts, and he shot 63% from 3 on 19 attempts. Hard to take much from these numbers on such low volume, as only 4 games were reported from the Nike EYBL for his PSA Cardinals AAU team. In 4 games with USA Basketball he averaged 36% from 3 on 11 attempts and shot 71% from the FT line 14 attempts.

Max Christie: I couldn't find much but @sjsj2448 has him at 89% from the FT line and 42% from 3. He's regarded as the best, or one of the best shooters in the class. I think we should just assume he is since it's been so widely reported and that's all he does in his highlight videos anyway.

Trevor Keels: Shot 61% from the FT line on 44 attempts, and he shot 39% from 3 on 33 attempts. I don't know what to make of his shooting because in the NIKE EYBL he shot 17 of 31 from the FT line for 55%, and he shot 35% on 20 attempts from 3. In Peach Jam he shot 77% from the FT line on 13 attempts and shot 46% from 3 on 13 attempts from 3. Obviously two very different shooting numbers where it appears he shot great in Peach Jam and shot sub par in Nike EYBL. However, if 35% from 3 is his "subpar" shooting I think that's pretty good, and again, his shooting should continue to develop both from the FT line and from 3pt since these stats are in the summer between his sophomore and junior season.

Kennedy Chandler: Shot 73% from the FT line on 85 attempts and 31% from 3 on 45 attempts. I think the FT shooting is promising. Just for some historical context here on a point guard who was a bad shooter at Duke his freshman year, Tre Jones shot 24% on 41 attempts from 3, and he shot 72% from the FT line on 151 attempts. All things considered, I think Chandler stacks up pretty well here. We don't need him to be lights out, we just need him to play great defense and help drive and create open shots for others, which he seems to do averaging 6 assists per game and 3.3 turnovers. He also averages 4.2 rebounds per game, pretty good from the point guard spot. He's regarded as an elite defender and a very physical guard, which bodes well obviously defensively, but also offensively because if he's surrounded by shooters it will likely lead to him driving to the paint a lot and either finishing or kicking out to open perimeter players who can then drive it and dunk on someone (Griffin) or bury an in rhythm open 3. If Chandler can play good to great defense, do well distributing the ball and finishing inside, and be a 75% FT shooter and shoot 35% on low to moderate volume (similar to Jones this year) he would be a great PG for us in the context of his supporting cast.

I really enjoyed doing this surface level research on all of these guys. I am in love with Banchero both from what I've seen visually and from the stats I see. I really think he's a complete player and that he will develop into a better shooter. I think I see him as offensively similar to Jabari Parker as a freshman, and although I hated him defensively, in my opinion, that's super high praise for an offensive comparison. I don't think they're exactly similar, I think that Parker was a great face-up player and probably better at finishing around the rim, but I think Banchero at the same stage has more perimeter skills, but overall, the comparison of them both being "complete' offensive players is the idea, and as far as Duke players in the last 10-15 years go, I think it's the best and most accurate comparison for Banchero on the offensive end.

I also really love AJ Griffin and Trevor Keels. Griffin I don't have a lot of stats on, and I haven't seen him play much outside of some highlights, but the hype from @rome8180 and @sjsj2448 on Griffin has me fully aboard the train and his genetics are good. Considering his dad was a high level player at Seton Hall (you didn't think I was going to write this wall of text that no one will read and not include Seton Hall, did you?), played in the NBA and is a NBA championship assistant coach, I also think Griffin will come in very high IQ and particularly have a great understand of modern spacing and know the difference between a good and bad shot (avoiding mid-range and taking more 3's).

As far as Keels goes, there's just something I love about Virginia players in that DC area. They play great competition and they come out tough as nails. So many good players have come from there and Duke has benefited greatly with guys like Nolan Smith, Quinn Cook, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of guys both recently and long-term. We also have Roach committed, and the two of them have helped spark a top 20 high school team which defeated DeMatha and Sierra Canyon. Keels apparently is strong, physical, and very good defensively, which is par for the course coming out of that high school league in that area. He also seems like a very good shooter. Which means, there are two programs he would absolutely thrive in: Virginia, and Villanova. Two extremely different programs stylistically in how they play basketball, but two programs who also do a great job developing players like him while maintaining two of the best and most consistent programs in the country. I would love to have Keels and really hope he commits to Duke.

I'm a huge of Chandler, I really want him. The scouting reports describe him as athletic, strong, physical, very good defensively and he's good at creating for others. As the stats show, not a great shooter, but he can develop into a decent one which is all we would need in that recruiting class considering the other assets he'd be bringing to the table.

I don't have much of a feel for Christie but at this stage I prefer Keels because I get the vibe that Keels is a better defender and a more complete player. Even if Christie is a better shooter and is say a 43% guy as a freshman in college, I would rather have Keels at 40% while being better defensively and going to the basket. Again just my personal opinion that some may disagree with, which is fine.

Baldwin is disappointing to me only in that I assumed he was a monster like Banchero. Baldwin is a lights out shooter at 6'9. He's athletic and long but he does literally nothing else. All he does is shoot. He doesn't rebound at all for his size, and he's not a playmaker. Maybe I'm missing it and he's Durant lite, but I'm just not seeing it. I would love to have him in this class because who doesn't want a 6'9 athletic guy who is lights out from the floor? But he's not what I thought he was.

I skimmed through it; does that count? Sounds like if we get four of those guys with some returnees we're in good shape. Are we a long shot with Pablo? Baldwin would be a nice get; he sounds like Hurt. I remember seeing videos of RJ on his national team and he looked like a great 3 point shooter. And Duval looked like J-Will. It's hard to tell sometimes.

2019 summer shooting numbers:

Paolo Banchero: FT 77%, 3pt 29%- For a 6'9 "power forward" I think this is super encouraging. The FT shooting is very promising and IMO leads me to believe that on a team with good spacing and a bunch of shooters/drivers allowing him to get step-in threes, I think it's very plausible to believe he could be a 40% 3pt shooter on low to moderate volume. Heck, I know last year scarred us, but we've been pretty damn good at developing shooters overall. It wasn't on high volume, but everyone forgets this staff had Winslow shoot 42% from 3 and 64% from FT, Marvin Bagley shot 40% from 3 and 63% from FT, and Wendell Carter Jr shot 41% from 3 and 74% from FT. Again, as a sophomore heading into his junior year, Banchero shot 77% from the FT line on 154 attempts. Considering that Banchero is already at a 77% FT rate and that was before his junior year, I think this bodes extremely well. Couple that in with the fact that he's a skilled ball handler and passer, AND he still has a lot of time to develop on work on his shooting, I think it's very likely he develops into a capable and reliable 3pt shooter in his one college season. The other thing to note about these stats is that for the summer circuit, getting to the FT line 154 times is very, very high.

Paolo is very good. It's going to be an absolute dog fight for him, with other teams offering more shots (UK, Gonzaga, and Tennessee) and a chance to play power forward. He apparently doesn't want to be a center. However, he is very close with Kennedy Chandler and there have been rumors of a package deal.

I personally think Banchero might be the best offensive player in the class, and I think he would be even better if he joined a Duke class with Baldwin and Griffin (along with whatever guards we bring in & return). There will be space for him to do his thing and take advantage of mismatches inside while also being able to get open, in rhythm jumpers on the perimeter, which also means he'll have space to drive.

Right now, I would agree. Griffin has the higher ceiling in virtually everything, though. More on him below.

Patrick Baldwin: FT 85% on 40 attempts, 3pt 35% on 111 attempts. Overall I personally think Banchero is a much more talented scorer than Baldwin. I think he's better at driving to the basket, and I think he's better inside than Baldwin is (at this point in their careers). Baldwin is the better shooter and will continue to develop. As of right now, that's all I really see is Baldwin is. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that- he's a 6'8/6'9 shooter that will continue to develop but hopefully he adds more to his game. It's been said he has a high IQ and is a playmaker but I don't really see that reflected in the stats. He averaged 1.6 assists per game in the summer compared to 1.3 turnovers. he also only averaged 4.5 rebounds per game. For comparisons sake, Banchero averaged 4 assists per game to 2.7 turnovers, and he averaged 11 rebounds. I love the shooting from Baldwin, but at this stage Banchero is a much more complete and to be quite frank I don't even think it's that close. I still would love to have Baldwin and think he fits perfectly between Banchero and Griffin

100% agree. K and staff like Baldwin better for some reason per Watson. But I like Banchero.

I don't want to be too hard on Baldwin, because 6'9 guys that shoot 40%+ are super rare. He's going to be great here within the context of the team we likely assemble. But he's not some uber prospect.

I would say he's sort of like Hurt with handle.

AJ Griffin: His stats are very hard to decipher as it seems he was probably dominating but just driving at team's and physically imposing his dominance on them. He shot 50% from the FT line on just 16 attempts, and he shot 63% from 3 on 19 attempts. Hard to take much from these numbers on such low volume, as only 4 games were reported from the Nike EYBL for his PSA Cardinals AAU team. In 4 games with USA Basketball he averaged 36% from 3 on 11 attempts and shot 71% from the FT line 14 attempts.

Do a deep dive into Griffin. Read Ross Homan's (excellent scout) superb article he wrote for The Stepien.

Griffin is the absolute belle of the ball. Best prospect since Zion, IMO, though some might say Cade. Griffin is only 16 and is an elite shooter and defender.

Think Paul George perhaps.

Max Christie: I couldn't find much but @sjsj2448 has him at 89% from the FT line and 42% from 3. He's regarded as the best, or one of the best shooters in the class. I think we should just assume he is since it's been so widely reported and that's all he does in his highlight videos anyway.

Those are his junior season stats at Rolling Meadows in suburban Chicago. He's an elite shooter. Really skinny. Kind of reminds me of Jeremy Lamb but a bit better numbers.

Trevor Keels: Shot 61% from the FT line on 44 attempts, and he shot 39% from 3 on 33 attempts. I don't know what to make of his shooting because in the NIKE EYBL he shot 17 of 31 from the FT line for 55%, and he shot 35% on 20 attempts from 3. In Peach Jam he shot 77% from the FT line on 13 attempts and shot 46% from 3 on 13 attempts from 3. Obviously two very different shooting numbers where it appears he shot great in Peach Jam and shot sub par in Nike EYBL. However, if 35% from 3 is his "subpar" shooting I think that's pretty good, and again, his shooting should continue to develop both from the FT line and from 3pt since these stats are in the summer between his sophomore and junior season.

I have not seen nor have I read much on Keels relative to the others but he's apparently a great shooter, and he looks big and physical. Reminds me of Gary Trent, Jr. on first glance.

Kennedy Chandler: Shot 73% from the FT line on 85 attempts and 31% from 3 on 45 attempts. I think the FT shooting is promising. Just for some historical context here on a point guard who was a bad shooter at Duke his freshman year, Tre Jones shot 24% on 41 attempts from 3, and he shot 72% from the FT line on 151 attempts. All things considered, I think Chandler stacks up pretty well here. We don't need him to be lights out, we just need him to play great defense and help drive and create open shots for others, which he seems to do averaging 6 assists per game and 3.3 turnovers. He also averages 4.2 rebounds per game, pretty good from the point guard spot. He's regarded as an elite defender and a very physical guard, which bodes well obviously defensively, but also offensively because if he's surrounded by shooters it will likely lead to him driving to the paint a lot and either finishing or kicking out to open perimeter players who can then drive it and dunk on someone (Griffin) or bury an in rhythm open 3. If Chandler can play good to great defense, do well distributing the ball and finishing inside, and be a 75% FT shooter and shoot 35% on low to moderate volume (similar to Jones this year) he would be a great PG for us in the context of his supporting cast.

Chandler is very fast and "bursty" but he's awfully small. Lottery pick according to Homan as of now. Could coexist in a backcourt with Roach if one improves their jumper. Definitely works with Keels, Christie, or Steward.

The 247 guys are extremely confident. Duke was Kennedy's dream school. Tennessee is offering serious $$ (as Slater alluded to about Springer) these days so I'd say they are the main comp, not Kentucky.

I really enjoyed doing this surface level research on all of these guys. I am in love with Banchero both from what I've seen visually and from the stats I see. I really think he's a complete player and that he will develop into a better shooter. I think I see him as offensively similar to Jabari Parker as a freshman, and although I hated him defensively, in my opinion, that's super high praise for an offensive comparison. I don't think they're exactly similar, I think that Parker was a great face-up player and probably better at finishing around the rim, but I think Banchero at the same stage has more perimeter skills, but overall, the comparison of them both being "complete' offensive players is the idea, and as far as Duke players in the last 10-15 years go, I think it's the best and most accurate comparison for Banchero on the offensive end.

I also really love AJ Griffin and Trevor Keels. Griffin I don't have a lot of stats on, and I haven't seen him play much outside of some highlights, but the hype from @rome8180 and @sjsj2448 on Griffin has me fully aboard the train and his genetics are good. Considering his dad was a high level player at Seton Hall (you didn't think I was going to write this wall of text that no one will read and not include Seton Hall, did you?), played in the NBA and is a NBA championship assistant coach, I also think Griffin will come in very high IQ and particularly have a great understand of modern spacing and know the difference between a good and bad shot (avoiding mid-range and taking more 3's).

As far as Keels goes, there's just something I love about Virginia players in that DC area. They play great competition and they come out tough as nails. So many good players have come from there and Duke has benefited greatly with guys like Nolan Smith, Quinn Cook, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of guys both recently and long-term. We also have Roach committed, and the two of them have helped spark a top 20 high school team which defeated DeMatha and Sierra Canyon. Keels apparently is strong, physical, and very good defensively, which is par for the course coming out of that high school league in that area. He also seems like a very good shooter. Which means, there are two programs he would absolutely thrive in: Virginia, and Villanova. Two extremely different programs stylistically in how they play basketball, but two programs who also do a great job developing players like him while maintaining two of the best and most consistent programs in the country. I would love to have Keels and really hope he commits to Duke.

I'm a huge of Chandler, I really want him. The scouting reports describe him as athletic, strong, physical, very good defensively and he's good at creating for others. As the stats show, not a great shooter, but he can develop into a decent one which is all we would need in that recruiting class considering the other assets he'd be bringing to the table.

I don't have much of a feel for Christie but at this stage I prefer Keels because I get the vibe that Keels is a better defender and a more complete player. Even if Christie is a better shooter and is say a 43% guy as a freshman in college, I would rather have Keels at 40% while being better defensively and going to the basket. Again just my personal opinion that some may disagree with, which is fine.

Baldwin is disappointing to me only in that I assumed he was a monster like Banchero. Baldwin is a lights out shooter at 6'9. He's athletic and long but he does literally nothing else. All he does is shoot. He doesn't rebound at all for his size, and he's not a playmaker. Maybe I'm missing it and he's Durant lite, but I'm just not seeing it. I would love to have him in this class because who doesn't want a 6'9 athletic guy who is lights out from the floor? But he's not what I thought he was.

Would say Baldwin, Christie, and Chandler are pretty much locks.

No idea what the plan is for Keels.

Banchero will be an absolute war.

Griffin is the shot creation/wing/defensive star, though, and he's already locked up. Just surround him with elite shooters and I'm good.

There are so many input variables that could greatly affect 2021-22, so there's really little point in rosterbating right now, but I am quite certain Adrian Griffin, Jr. is the best of the bunch, and he's locked up, so that's good. I think Coach K has finally figured out that we need elite players who can shoot and is constructing a 2018 Villanova type team with the incredible recruiting resources and ecosystem at his disposal.

Yeah, I'm much higher on Baldwin than you are. I think he has the potential to be absolutely transcendent as a scorer. Maybe not quite KD, because he'll have to share shots, but something like what Michael Porter probably would have been in college. 20+ ppg on over 40%. It's not so much the shooting percentages that lead to me think that as the way he gets his shots. He shoots off movement, off the dribble, and from extremely deep.

I also think you're underrating him as a driver. He's not going to blow by guys, but I expect him to be one of those smart under control penetrators like what Tatum developed into in the 2nd half of 2017.

Last edited:
And from what I can see about Banchero, it seems like he'll blend into any situation. So he won't necessarily need a lot of shots to be effective.

I know nothing about their personalities outside of interviews, but they all seem low maintenance. I don't see there being a big battle for shots, so if Banchero is the best scorer that'll likely work out fine too.

Re: Chandler, I'm pretty gun shy about having a PG with questionable shooting after the last few years.

I know nothing about their personalities outside of interviews, but they all seem low maintenance. I don't see there being a big battle for shots, so if Banchero is the best scorer that'll likely work out fine too.

If we ran Villanova's offense everyone would get equal opportunity on offense. Instead K will run ISO's for the two highest rated draft prospects the whole season and other players become average role players.

If we ran Villanova's offense everyone would get equal opportunity on offense. Instead K will run ISO's for the two highest rated draft prospects the whole season and other players become average role players.
Maybe he just did that because he knew Reddish stunk and Tre couldn't shoot.

I really think Wendell Moore and Matthew Hurt are the keys to next season (along with how good Roach really is). Moore was a 4-star prospect entering Duke and IMO is definitely coming back. Hurt is most comparable to Frank Jackson and Trevon Duval in that they were all 5-star prospects who people just assumed would be one and done because they were 5-star commitments going to Duke, but once they actually played for a full season it become more cloudy because they weren't all that good.

Frank Jackson averaged 24mpg and averaged 11ppg on 40% from 3 and 76% from the FT line. He was a very good athlete but he didn't really have a position.

Duval averaged 30mpg, and averaged 10ppg on 29% from 3 and 60% from the FT line. He averaged 5.6apg and 2.8 turnnovers. He was decent defensively and had good instincts as a point guard but he couldn't shoot at all which is a huge detriment. However, he entered college with more hype than Frank Jackson, IMO.

Obviously Duval and Jackson were guards and Hurt a stretch 4, but I think they're comparable in that they entered Duke as 5-star prospects who should've returned for their sophomore seasons. Duval really had no choice but to go to the NBA with Jones coming in, but I think Jackson could've returned in 2018 and have worked on being the lead point guard. Frank Jackson-Grayson Allen-Gary Trent Jr-Bagley-Carter Jr definitely would've been good and given Jackson to display an improvement of PG skills. He is athletically very similar to Duval but a much better shooter. This would've led to Duval never coming here since we signed him in the Spring, but that would've been fine.

Anyway, my point is that I hope Hurt comes back. Hurt can shoot which is a big plus, but one thing that Duval and Jackson both had going for them that Hurt doesn't is they were really IMO very good athletes. Hurt is a good athlete but the other two were explosive. What Hurt needs most IMO is a full year of strength & conditioning and he could return to Duke and be a 15-16ppg and be Duke's primary scoring option on a team with a lot of spacing.

I hope he comes back but because of Jackson and Duval I'm expecting Hurt to go to the NBA. I really think Hurt can become a 1st round pick in 2021 if he returns to Duke for his sophomore season.

I really think Wendell Moore and Matthew Hurt are the keys to next season (along with how good Roach really is). Moore was a 4-star prospect entering Duke and IMO is definitely coming back. Hurt is most comparable to Frank Jackson and Trevon Duval in that they were all 5-star prospects who people just assumed would be one and done because they were 5-star commitments going to Duke, but once they actually played for a full season it become more cloudy because they weren't all that good.

Frank Jackson averaged 24mpg and averaged 11ppg on 40% from 3 and 76% from the FT line. He was a very good athlete but he didn't really have a position.

Duval averaged 30mpg, and averaged 10ppg on 29% from 3 and 60% from the FT line. He averaged 5.6apg and 2.8 turnnovers. He was decent defensively and had good instincts as a point guard but he couldn't shoot at all which is a huge detriment. However, he entered college with more hype than Frank Jackson, IMO.

Obviously Duval and Jackson were guards and Hurt a stretch 4, but I think they're comparable in that they entered Duke as 5-star prospects who should've returned for their sophomore seasons. Duval really had no choice but to go to the NBA with Jones coming in, but I think Jackson could've returned in 2018 and have worked on being the lead point guard. Frank Jackson-Grayson Allen-Gary Trent Jr-Bagley-Carter Jr definitely would've been good and given Jackson to display an improvement of PG skills. He is athletically very similar to Duval but a much better shooter. This would've led to Duval never coming here since we signed him in the Spring, but that would've been fine.

Anyway, my point is that I hope Hurt comes back. Hurt can shoot which is a big plus, but one thing that Duval and Jackson both had going for them that Hurt doesn't is they were really IMO very good athletes. Hurt is a good athlete but the other two were explosive. What Hurt needs most IMO is a full year of strength & conditioning and he could return to Duke and be a 15-16ppg and be Duke's primary scoring option on a team with a lot of spacing.

I hope he comes back but because of Jackson and Duval I'm expecting Hurt to go to the NBA. I really think Hurt can become a 1st round pick in 2021 if he returns to Duke for his sophomore season.

A well-respected poster (not an official insider) on 247 says he thinks Hurt comes back.

This was a few weeks ago before Hurt threw up a couple of donuts against UVA and UNC.

If he does, we are a very competitive outfit.

A well-respected poster (not an official insider) on 247 says he thinks Hurt comes back.

This was a few weeks ago before Hurt threw up a couple of donuts against UVA and UNC.

If he does, we are a very competitive outfit.

I really think this line-up is a top 5 team and potential National Title contender, assuming the staff does a decent job, and that Hurt and Moore both making actual improvements. There's a lot of question marks, such as how good will Roach and Steward actually be, can Moore and Hurt make improvements, but on paper I think this talent works together and there is a lot to like. A lot of versatility and shooting, and although there won't be a dominant big man, I think there's enough size and versatility between Hurt, Johnson, Williams, Coleman and Brakefield to not worry about being atrocious inside like 2014 was.

PG: Roach (fr)
SG: Steward (fr)
SF: Wendell Moore (so)
PF: Jalen Johnson (fr)
C: Matthew Hurt (so)

Bench: Goldwire (sr), Mark Williams (fr), Coleman (fr), Brakefield (fr) and then one of AOC/Baker. I think one of them transfers, honestly, which will leave us with 10 scholarship recruited players.

It looks like next year we may finally return to traditional Duke versus UNC:

Duke: Roach-Steward-Moore-Johnson-Hurt

UNC: Love-RJ Davis-Leaky Black-Bacot-Brooks with Sharpe and Kessler off the bench.

extremely total opposites in the front-court and will be a battle of basketball philosophies. UNC will murder us inside, and we will be reliant on drilling 3's. This is the reason why UNC's brand of basketball still works in college basketball today, because they will kill teams inside for offensive rebounds and easy 2's, and even if they struggle defending the perimeter against a roster like Duke or Villanova, those teams will have to hit a lot of 3's, which sounds simple, but unlike the NBA, this isn't a guarantee. UNC's system still works because teams can't consistently punish UNC's old school basketball in college the way they would in the NBA.

I still prefer our philosophy all day, but it's not as simple as looking at the NBA and modern basketball and discounting what UNC does. At the college level, a game with less talent, less IQ, and less shooting ability, Roy's system is still very effective and can win at the highest levels as a result.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom