Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Women's Basketball

What's amazing is she never brings the ball below her waist, something Duke coaches didn't bother to teach any of the Plumlees.

I wonder why that's such a hard habit to break for certain players. Granted, UNC's bigs can do it within seconds of stepping on foot of campus (though that may be a skill Roy actively looked for).

Amile was a guy who never brought the ball down. I always appreciated that.

The women’s team benefitted from the coach at Syracuse being fired after heavy accusations of misconduct. A Syracuse 2021 commitment was allowed to be released from her pledge and then signed with Duke. She’s the #41 overall player and plays PG.

Overall Kara Lawson is doing an excellent job at talent acquisition thus far. She’s performing at a high level in securing quality transfers and recruiting high schoolers.

The Duke women notched a big victory today over Alabama 74-71. Below is a video of the game-winning basket. Celeste Taylor, transfer from Texas, has been a good addition for the team. She's averaging 13ppg and scored 21 today. Lexi Gordon, transfer from Texas Tech, has also been a valuable addition averaging 12ppg. The scoring of sophomore point guard Vanessa DeJesus is down significantly from last year but she's still doing a nice job at PG, averaging 6ppg, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and just 2 turnovers per game.

I also mentioned in this thread previously that when Syracuse fired their coach for being a piece of shit, top 50 recruit Shayeann Day-Wilson decommitted and then committed to Duke. This was a very late addition but she's been very valuable. She's firmly entrenched thus far in Coach Lawson's 7 player rotation. She played 27 minutes off the bench today and scored 11 points, went from 7-9 from the FT line, and is averaging 7ppg.

I can't make myself care about WBB, though I did tune in to see Alana Beard occasionally back in the day. That said, Kara Lawson is a fucking brilliant hire. I can see her absolutely dominating a sport that can be dominated once Geno retires, backed by a fan base that probably can get itself to GAF. Now that Stanford doesn't care about athletics, Duke should be able to replicate this across all the incidental sports and win whatever the Sears cup is called now. Go Duke.

I can't make myself care about WBB, though I did tune in to see Alana Beard occasionally back in the day. That said, Kara Lawson is a fucking brilliant hire. I can see her absolutely dominating a sport that can be dominated once Geno retires, backed by a fan base that probably can get itself to GAF. Now that Stanford doesn't care about athletics, Duke should be able to replicate this across all the incidental sports and win whatever the Sears cup is called now. Go Duke.
The sport is already becoming more competitive even with Geno still around. There are a lot of highly competitive programs and very god coaches. It feels like we are entering the post Wooden stage of NCAAW basketball. After the run of dominance by Wooden (in this case, Geno) the sport opens up and has a lot more parity.

The last 4 NCAAT Championships have gone to a program other than UCONN- South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, and Stanford. UCONN is still excellent but long gone are the days of them just brutally dominating the sport. Last season they lost to 3 seed Arizona in the Final Four and beat Baylor by 2 in the Elite Eight. In the regular season, they lost to Arkansas and had single-digit victories in 2 games. Their conference sucks. In the COVID season, they were 20-3 with blowout double-digit losses to South Carolina, Oregon, and Baylor. In 18-19 they had 2 regular-season losses.

I don't think anyone is lined up to dominate the sport, it's just going to be very competitive across the board. Dawn Staley has the best chance of doing it though.

Eh, ND, Stanford and Baylor are very much members of the small group of elite who have won NCs and are all coached by legendary HOF coaches who have been successful for many decades. UConn has gone through NC dry spells before and they have made the FF 13 straight times. Got the next transcendental prospect in Fudd. Nothing is changing until Geno retires.

Staley is a good coach, but I don't see anything indicating she will come close to Geno. Lawson probably won't either, but I think she has a better shot between her pedigree, her charisma and the Duke platform.

It's sad to see how the women's program was underperforming under McCallie. The program should've never fallen the way it did considering the incredible resources they have. Coach Lawson still has a ways to go to repair the roster damage done prior to her arrival, but she's on the right track.

Eh, ND, Stanford and Baylor are very much members of the small group of elite who have won NCs and are all coached by legendary HOF coaches who have been successful for many decades. UConn has gone through NC dry spells before and they have made the FF 13 straight times. Got the next transcendental prospect in Fudd. Nothing is changing until Geno retires.

Staley is a good coach, but I don't see anything indicating she will come close to Geno. Lawson probably won't either, but I think she has a better shot between her pedigree, her charisma and the Duke platform.

He already has the next transcendental star in Beuckers. UCONN is going to remain elite while he's there but the competition is spreading out.

Reactions: TBC
Anyone know what's going on with the women's team? Ranked 15th at one time and now the team looks like a shell of where they were.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom