Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

Grayson had, IMO, the most polarizing career of any Duke player ever to us fans. How do you reconcile his incredible first two years with the repeated mistakes in his last two? How does a player rise to the occasion in the NC as a freshman and single-handedly swing a title in our favor (following it up with an amazing sophomore year)-- and then disappear as a junior and senior? The tripping saga was a mess, and this whole season, it felt like at some point he'd take ownership. But he never did.

That last shot, though... I can't believe that didn't go in. That was his moment. I just can't believe it rimmed out in such a cruel way.

Grayson had, IMO, the most polarizing career of any Duke player ever to us fans. How do you reconcile his incredible first two years with the repeated mistakes in his last two? How does a player rise to the occasion in the NC as a freshman and single-handedly swing a title in our favor (following it up with an amazing sophomore year)-- and then disappear as a junior and senior? The tripping saga was a mess, and this whole season, it felt like at some point he'd take ownership. But he never did.

That last shot, though... I can't believe that didn't go in. That was his moment. I just can't believe it rimmed out in such a cruel way.
It's much harder when teams game plan for you after your weaknesses are discovered. Also, last season he was limited due to injury, while this season he was neutered a bit to help prevent injury (and also driving lanes were clogged with multiple bigs on the floor).

Krzyzewski, speaking again after Allen’s speech, corrected his player one more time .

“Don’t ever use the term roller-coaster for your career,” Krzyzewski said. “C’mon man. I wish I was on that ride. My coach told me he’d break my arm if I shot. He usually backed up his word. My arms have never been broken.

“Yours has been a skyrocket. Look, there are bumps in the road. On a journey to anything that is really good, there are obstacles. It wouldn’t be really good unless there were. Otherwise everybody would go in this damn journey. Everybody would win a national championship. Everyone would be one of five or one of six or one of two. It ain’t easy because there are limits that we have and that we have to change. When we are open to change in the limits and also open to the process that’s needed to change them and trust somebody or somebodies enough to do it, it’s success. You have been one of the most successful players in the history of this program.”

As for all the boos and hate that Allen absorbed as a Duke player, Krzyzewski offered an alternative.

“Please don’t confuse hate with envy,” Krzyzewski said. “I’m not sure people hated you as much as they wished you were on their team. In fact, I’m sure, and it’s something that happens with our program. We’re either the most loved or the most hated because a lot of people wish that their team was us. But they are not. We are this university’s team, and you have represented this university’s team in an amazing fashion.”

Sorry, I'm confused. We can't help but suspect it? Disrespect it? Inspect it?

Is shortening words part of your state trooper training? What did you do with those extra .2 seconds you saved by not typing the "re" in respect? Or are you on the "pay-by-the-keystroke" Charter internet plan?

Is shortening words part of your state trooper training? What did you do with those extra .2 seconds you saved by not typing the "re" in respect? Or are you on the "pay-by-the-keystroke" Charter internet plan?
This was a very strong reaction for a well known internet meme/joke. I honestly don't know how to respond to it so, good day.

This was a very strong reaction for a well known internet meme/joke. I honestly don't know how to respond to it so, good day.
"Spect" is a well known internet meme? I spend a shit load of time in meme-heavy spaces and I'm unfamiliar with it. Where does it come from?

"Spect" is a well known internet meme? I spend a shit load of time in meme-heavy spaces and I'm unfamiliar with it. Where does it come from?
It's from a Birdman interview and I literally see people use it al over the place, twitter, etc. Put some spect or spec on it.

It's from a Birdman interview and I literally see people use it al over the place, twitter, etc. Put some spect or spec on it.
Oh, from the Breakfast club? I thought that meme was "respek".

Oh, from the Breakfast club? I thought that meme was "respek".
Yeah it's from that and I've seen it used both ways. Most often now I hear the shorter version.

I think you only take him as a 3 and D guy, and only if you think the defensive coaching at Duke was the main reason he wasn’t locking down every guard in the ACC. He was 22 and couldn’t run the point or break down a defense.

If he's going to follow the JJ blueprint to transform himself from 'elitist' white college archvillain, then this is the kind of thing he's going to have to do, as well as constantly involving himself with extracurricular basketball media. Problem is I don't think he has an ounce of JJ's natural charisma.

That said the PR person who thought this was a good idea is a fucking moron.

What a terrible situation to needlessly subject himself to.

Grayson's involvement in this gives me the same sickening, unsettling sense of pity that I'd feel for the victim in a snuff film.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom