Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS All-Star Games

Mgbako was fucking awful, and that’s being generous. The more I watch him the more it seems he just has a terrible feel for the game, examples being the number of times it seemed like he just got in his teammates way on offense. In some ways I’m hoping this was really good for him, to see he’s got a long ways before he’s going to make an (positive) impact. Hopefully he buys in and will stick it out.

Yea the handful of time I’ve watched Mac play I think his ranking is more based off potential than actually producing. Seems like he has a ways to go. I did read he just came back from injury about a month ago-so he’s still working his way back. Most people probably would have Mac in the starting next season but I’m not so sure. Still plenty of time for improvement till he plays in his first game at Duke.

If Flip and Mark come back, I think the results of the game were great. McCain was by far the most mature, controlled player in the game. I think he'll be a decent volume, good efficiency player from day one, and his defense seemed at least decent. Takes away almost any trepidation I would have about Roach leaving. Especially if the Caleb dominating Bronny thing is real - I thought Bronny looked pretty strong.

Mack and Sean have a ways to go, which is fine if there is a logjam in the frontcourt. Mack is all NILed up and should be cool with staying at least two years, while I believe Sean is a lifetime fanboy and should stick with the new nice-guy, bench-playing coach we have.

In fact, I'd almost be on board with DaRon or Kel-El at this point, as I think Scheyer could get away with the right mix of minutes to keep everyone happy and committed.

BTW - We're becoming Carolina. Recruiting players who are just bad enough to stay for a coach who is nice to them and plays them. They have become Duke, getting on that high-turnover, jack-em Joe treadmill run by an asshole.

Good news is we might be a better version of what they were and they might be a worse version of what we were.

BTW - We're becoming Carolina. Recruiting players who are just bad enough to stay for a coach who is nice to them and plays them. They have become Duke, getting on that high-turnover, jack-em Joe treadmill run by an asshole.

Good news is we might be a better version of what they were and they might be a worse version of what we were.
There's also the fact that Hubert puts a premium on spacing/shooting while Scheyer just wants to be huge and dominate the glass, and Hubert plays a shallow bench while Scheyer plays a deep one.

Mgbako was fucking awful, and that’s being generous. The more I watch him the more it seems he just has a terrible feel for the game, examples being the number of times it seemed like he just got in his teammates way on offense. In some ways I’m hoping this was really good for him, to see he’s got a long ways before he’s going to make an (positive) impact. Hopefully he buys in and will stick it out.

Among other things, I noticed he gave up an offensive rebound off a free throw two different times, which you don't often see in A-S games. The only shot I remember him taking was a pullup one foot inside the 3PT line that slammed off the backboard and missed the rim entirely.

I do feel like there's a phenomenon where scouts see a cool looking 16-17 year old who's 6'8 with broad shoulders and lean muscle mass, moves like an athlete, and has some natural looking ball skills, and anoint him as a top 5 recruit regardless of how he actually plays basketball. Worked out with Tatum, a little less so with Jalen Johnson and Reddish, and I worry Mgbako could be the least actually-good of the bunch.

I guess the good news is if he stays a couple years and buys into coaching, the floor for that type of athlete is pretty high. The big risk is an ego that tells them to constantly try and do things they aren't actually good enough to do, which history suggests is hard to break in year one.

Fluidity-wise, he looked closer to Matthew Hurt than Jalen Johnson or Reddish. Certainly a better ball-handler than Hurt, but something about his legs is kind of stiff, like Hurt.

He's looked great on D and rebounding. Offense, eh, still not sure I see a ton that looks immediately transferable. Hopefully we get him for a couple years, as I think he'd benefit a lot from his frame filling out a bit. He's really limited driving because of his lack of strength.

Leading scorer at halftime with 13, but that’s on 8-10 from the free throw line. Only two made field goals. He just takes so many difficult shots. Airballed a side-step three where he telegraphed the shot five seconds ahead of time. Just no sense to make that more difficult than it needs to be.

Agree with Pants re: his driving ability. He’s got no off the bounce game at this point.

Here’s the play there at the end of the half where he was fouled with 3 seconds left. Despite this advantage, at no point did I think he was going to make this basket. He ended up getting crushed at the rim, but the dribble move was pretty slow and methodical.

81FB3753-D6B0-4F0C-AA76-B9C3B77129C7.jpeg

The iso three was beautiful. That series of baskets seemed to put a little pep in his step, because he then locked in defensively and forced Edwards into a tough shot on the other end.

In general though, I'd say he's got a great frame, great short-area quickness and coordination for his size, and he's been really active and aggressive on both ends tonight. That's enough to be a productive glue guy type at the 4 spot.

But then, he's also got a pretty tight handle for his size, and clearly has some shooting touch, which is the long-term upside. That's mostly a good thing, but I also feel like it means he thinks he should be making Tatum moves and shots when he's not there yet. Whether he's more of a plus or minus next year will probably depend on how much Jon can get him to focus on the stuff from the first paragraph rather than this one.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom