Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jaden Schutt

Jaden Schutt — pronounced “shoot” .

On becoming one of Duke's best shooters ever to play for the Blue Devils...

“Obviously, I just gotta do what I gotta do and shoot the ball really well. And I’d just say focus on winning…That’s definitely a dream, you know, to have kids come through and want to go to Duke because I went there. So it’s definitely a dream.” - Jaden Schutt (shoot)

Wow. He's already thinking about his legacy. I like this kid already.

He's not Grayson Allen or anything, but Schutt definitely seems to be working on his finishing-at-the-rim game.

This was in one game last night:

Some nice plays in this one against better-looking comp, too:

I'm just glad he's well protected from Chin Covid.

I see he is not the only one in that last video wearing his mask around his neck. Is that the style these days? Maybe the league is so strict that the players have to do that?

It's kind of hard for me to imagine a kid being raised by someone like that and not being kind of a fuckhead. But I guess Dickhurt's son wound up being a very sweet, tender young man, so who knows.

YORKVILLE, Ill. — The snow-covered fields on either side of East Schoolhouse Road, like wonderfully-vast white sheets stretched across the countryside, act as something of a mirror. With far too little cloud cover here — about an hour southwest of Chicago — beaming sunlight bounces right off the frozen farmland that this two-lane road runs through. (Put it this way: The driver’s side visor is getting quite the workout on this westward journey.) Between the reflecting rays, the serenity of so much untouched snow, and the general lack of … well, anything other than electric poles, you can almost miss the reason you’re here: the large, looming, warehouse-like structure that suddenly sprouts up from the horizon.

Yorkville Christian High School, everyone.

Now, Yorkville Christian is only accessible via one road: an offshoot of East Schoolhouse that doubles as the entrance to a small residential community. Cut through the plots of neatly-spaced suburban houses, though, and you come face-to-face with a boxy behemoth of a building. Given the larger landscape, you’d be forgiven for thinking the school — founded in 2014 by John and Michelle Stewart, who own nearby Spirit Farms in Sheridan, Ill. — is, in fact, a farming storehouse. Storage for machinery, or soil, or something like that. And then, you step inside.

What you find? As intricate and sophisticated a sports setup as you can imagine for a high school in the middle of nowhere. Just off the main entranceway is the heartbeat of the school: “The Canyon,” as it’s called, and rightfully so. Four full-size basketball courts run straight through the middle of the building, with advanced workout areas on both sides where the uppermost bleachers would otherwise be. On one side, batting cages and a full row of wrestling mats; on the other, a full-fledged gym, with enough free weights and other technology to serve a small college … or, you know, this high school of 165 students. Compared to where Yorkville Christian was four years ago, when it had 16 kids, 165 absolutely constitutes growth.

“You talk about humble beginnings,” says Aaron Sovern, the school’s principal, athletic director, and basketball coach. “The building we were in, as soon as we moved out to start building this, became a tire and lube shop. Our math room had a lift for oil changes.”

You get the picture. Small-town vibes, upstart school — so much so that the ends of the two long hallways adjourning the Canyon are still under construction, tarps and all. On this particular day in January, construction even interrupts basketball practice; workers from Spirit Farms are here installing one of two large, six-bladed industrial fans in the ceiling above the courts. (Without constant airflow, condensation tends to build up all throughout the building.)

How, then, do you explain Jaden Schutt?

Because Schutt isn’t just good enough to play college ball; Yorkville Christian’s four-star shooting guard is good enough for Duke, despite being off-the-grid and almost 1,000 miles away from Durham, N.C. How did Jon Scheyer, Duke’s coach-in-waiting, even find out about somehow so far off, in such a small place? And why was he so compelled to add Schutt to the nation’s No. 1 overall recruiting class?

The first question requires a longer answer. But the second? It’s simple: He can flat-out play.

“I’m just a kid who is really dedicated to the game, who will do anything to help his team win,” Schutt says. “Just a guy who’s all in.”

Lori Schutt, Jaden’s mom, remembers the sound as much as anything. In the basement of the family’s home, when Jaden was a toddler, there was a miniature basketball hoop attached to the back of one of their doors.

“That thing was nonstop: bam bam bam bam bam!” Lori recalls. “It sounded like we had construction going on all the time.”

Something was being built in that basement, for sure: her youngest son’s love affair with basketball. The confirmation came when Schutt’s grandmother gave him a gift card around the same age to a sporting goods store, and he promptly picked out a regulation ball. Considering that two of Schutt’s older brothers and his father, Jeff, played low-level college basketball, perhaps it shouldn’t have been all that much of a surprise that Jaden, too, fell in love with the game.

What was surprising, though, was how much Schutt was willing to sacrifice for the game from a young age. Given his parents’ backgrounds — Lori is a nutritionist, Jeff a chiropractor who also leads Yorkville Christian’s strength and conditioning program — Schutt learned when he was little the types of behaviors most beneficial for basketball success. Some were simple: going to bed nightly by 9:30 or 10 p.m., for instance. Others, less so. “He’s literally like Chris Paul diet-wise,” says Richard Carter, Schutt’s trainer and a former Division I assistant at Missouri, Xavier, and DePaul, among others. “Doesn’t really put anything bad into his body whatsoever.” No fast food, no postgame pizza after grassroots games — and definitely no soda pop. “I used to love Fanta, especially the orange, but the fruit-flavored drinks, Sprite,” Schutt says, smiling. “Now I just get my carbonation in other ways. Have you ever heard of kombucha? I like that a lot.”

(At this point, it feels important to reiterate that, yes, Schutt is still a teenager and not a robot. He’ll have pancakes on his cheat days — gluten-free ones, no syrup, but still — and occasionally stays up late when games run late. And it’s not like his parents don’t have “normal” food in the house; their youngest son just chooses not to eat it.)

Schutt reckons he dove into this sort of diet in earnest around the fifth grade, when he was first starting to play basketball at a semi-competitive level. “I run my life basically to a routine and a schedule,” Schutt says, “so it’s real helpful.” That year, given Schutt’s advanced aptitude and the not-deep pool of players at his grade school, Cross Lutheran (which is also in Yorkville), Schutt actually played on the eighth-grade team. The following year, as a sixth-grader, he was the starting point guard for that same squad. Impressive stuff, even for where he was doing it.

The secrets to Schutt’s early success? Two things, really. One: an insatiable appetite to be great. “He just always had this thing: ‘I’m going to play in college and maybe the NBA someday.’” Jeff says. “And of course you think, ‘Oh that’s nice, I’m not gonna dissuade your dreams.’ But most kids don’t have the dedication to do it. He had the built-in discipline.” Lori’s deal with Jaden growing up was she’d go to the Cross Lutheran gym to rebound for him whenever he wanted — just so long as he was the one asking to go, rather than being forced to.

The second thing that enabled Schutt, both early on and to the present day?

Well, it’s right there in his last name, so long as you get the pronunciation right: He could shoot.

And who better to learn how to shoot from than J.J. Redick?

Not actually, OK. But when Schutt was little, Jeff ordered a Better Basketball video by Rick Torbett — featuring Redick, fresh off a standout four-year career at Duke — that emphasized shooting fundamentals. He’d show it to his grade school teams at Cross Lutheran, Schutt included, and then record the kids’ forms on an iPad so they could watch their own motions back. “It had beautiful graphics of the arc and all that stuff,” Jeff says, “and that’s how he developed it. He just studied that and studied that.”

By middle school, Schutt already had a reputation for knocking down looks — and even in passing, could diagnose fellow players with issues in their release. Lori remembers one instance when she and Schutt were walking by kids playing on an outdoor hoop, and Schutt stopped to watch for a second. “He’s like ‘Mom, that kid’s pushing the ball,’” Lori recalls. “So he’s got this visual way he looks at the game.”

Over time, Schutt’s shooting only continued to earn him notice. In the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades, he won three consecutive free-throw contests held at St. Peter School in Arlington Heights, Illinois; he didn’t miss a single free throw, in 36 attempts, across the three competitions. Then as a sophomore, Schutt shot to viral status in the greater Chicago area, when he made an Illinois high school record 17 3-pointers in one game. That’s how Schutt and Carter first got linked up, the coach reaching out to see if Schutt would be a guest on Carter’s podcast. Schutt said yes, and the pair hit it off. Before long, in the summer of 2020, Carter — who was taking a break at the time from Division I coaching — was driving down to Yorkville to work Schutt out. It went so well that they’ve been working together ever since, Carter helping Schutt build his skill set without forgetting the fundamentals Jeff taught him.

“I knew that he was a shooter,” Carter says, “but I didn’t know he was as athletic as he is. He had videos of him dunking and whatnot, but when we first got in the gym, we were doing this layup drill and I told him, ‘Man, go up and dunk it.’ So he went up, Eurostepped it, and with the left hand, boom. I’m like, ‘Wait, who is this?’”

In the year and a half since, Carter said he’s seen Schutt improve in a number of areas, as many of them mental as physical. Yes, Schutt can hit a midrange or a 3, drive baseline and dunk on someone, or kick out to teammates as a willing passer — but it’s the way he processes information, Carter says, that’s as striking as anything. “When you feed him information, on film or in person, he can turn it over quickly,” Carter says. “That’s where he’s really been impressive. You can watch film with him on pick-and-roll, and he can then make those reads the next time he’s out playing.”

In the grand scheme of things, Schutt’s ability to quickly integrate new teachings into his game is another example of his mental makeup. Like instituting a nutrition plan and sleep schedule as a fifth-grader, Schutt is willing to study new and unfamiliar concepts so long as they do one thing: give him an advantage. “He’s always looking for an angle,” Sovern says. “He’ll ask questions, but not confrontationally. ‘What’s the thought process if we run this here?’ And then you explain it, and it’s, ‘OK.’ You can have that comfortable dialogue with him.”

So, to recap: An excellent shooter, from the greater Chicago area, with a relentless work ethic and a hunger for greatness. Where have Duke fans heard of a player fitting that description before?

Oh, right. The program’s soon-to-be head coach, and the guy who saw pieces of himself in Schutt: Jon Scheyer.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom