Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

Wade to Cleveland.

So Cleveland basically swapped Kyrie for Wade, Thomas, Crowder, Green and a top 5 draft pick. Unreal offseason by them and OKC.

Thomas
Wade
Crowder
Bron
Love

Can that team beat GS? I say no.

Jeff Green's probably a net negative, but you didn't mention Rose, so I'll assume you meant that. Still a pretty good offseason. ;)

Yeah, I meant Rose. I agree Wade is overrated and not a great fit for this team but he can't be worse than Smith, Korver and Shump were in the finals last year.

Wade to Cleveland.

So Cleveland basically swapped Kyrie for Wade, Thomas, Crowder, Green and a top 5 draft pick. Unreal offseason by them and OKC.

Thomas
Wade
Crowder
Bron
Love

Can that team beat GS? I say no.

So basically Crowder and a pick. Wade, Thomas, Green and Rose are just a shuffling of bench mediocrity at this point. Thomas is a dicey-looking proposition right now, and even dicier looking forward. I'd say they are better by the slimmest of margins, but they gave up the one player other than LeBron that can almost single-handedly win you a game or two in a series.

Both Cleveland and OKC got some big names. Real unclear how any of it fits together for either.

Wade is not bad. Thomas is great if he's healthy. I do think they got better, and they can possibly trade the pick for someone else.

Wade is not bad, but he can't (won't) defend like Shumpert or shoot like Smith. At this point he is a decent ISO 2-point shot maker. Who likes to shoot way too much.

IT had an awesome year, but this is clearly a pretty serious injury. 5'9" guys who rely so much on speed and quickness can't really afford hip issues.

So they got Crowder - a nice piece - and a total roll of the dice on IT - who almost certainly won't be there in 12 months - for Irving. And the pick.

Unless IT comes all the way back and then some, it is a worthless. I don't think they beat the Warriors regardless, but they did beat them two years ago when they had a dude not named LeBron who was +79 +/- in the four wins in five games to take the series. Right now the contenders' only play is hoping elite talent can get scorching hot for 4-5 games. That takes a Harden/Paul or Westbrook/George/Melo type combo. The trade might have marginally solidified the lineup/bench and increased the odds of winning the east. But without a guy who can do what Kyrie did in games 3-7, they haven't even a remote shot at winning the championship. And Wade ain't that dude, though he probably thinks he is.

Caveat: I guess there is a chance they could flip the pick late for George (if it looks like he won't sign) or Paul (very unlikely Rockets bite, but if they kit the skids) or something, and go for broke. I just have a hard time seeing Gilbert give away the future with the uncertainty about LBJ.

Today I had a moment when I remembered, with shock, that Orlando actually has an NBA team! It feels like maybe they were contracted or relocated a few years ago, but apparently, nah, they're still there.

No one should be getting excited about a roster of old and/or injury-prone players that will underperform against the physicality of the playoffs, especially Golden State.

The Cavs did not get better, IMO. In the NBA, four quarters do not equal a dollar, not even sure they do 75 cents. This year will finally be the year I believe that armchair RealGM/Reddit types finally realize just how valuable Irving's dynamic scoring skillset is in the postseason, while the analyticphile Jae Crowder types fail to move the needle. There are literally still people who think a player like Irving who have proven capable of putting up ~30 points on damn near 50/40/90 efficiency in a playoff series against a spectacular defensive team like Golden State is not even a top 20 player in the league and whose contributions can be more than made up by Isaiah Thomas and Crowder.

Wade is not bad. Thomas is great if he's healthy. I do think they got better, and they can possibly trade the pick for someone else.
That's the big deal here. They're in great shape IF Lebron stays. Then they can trade that top 5 pick and maybe Love for a hell of a player. Cousins maybe,

No one should be getting excited about a roster of old and/or injury-prone players that will underperform against the physicality of the playoffs, especially Golden State.

The Cavs did not get better, IMO. In the NBA, four quarters do not equal a dollar, not even sure they do 75 cents. This year will finally be the year I believe that armchair RealGM/Reddit types finally realize just how valuable Irving's dynamic scoring skillset is in the postseason, while the analyticphile Jae Crowder types fail to move the needle. There are literally still people who think a player like Irving who have proven capable of putting up ~30 points on damn near 50/40/90 efficiency in a playoff series against a spectacular defensive team like Golden State is not even a top 20 player in the league and whose contributions can be more than made up by Isaiah Thomas and Crowder.
This will be Kyrie's time to take his game to the next level and solidify himself as a top 10 player in this league. He'll have the ball more, will be asked to score more and create more. Across the board, his numbers SHOULD go up. 27 and 7 is what I see. His efficiency will likely go down a bit as he will be the guy opposing defenses hone in on.

That's the big deal here. They're in great shape IF Lebron stays. Then they can trade that top 5 pick and maybe Love for a hell of a player. Cousins maybe,

Wackness. Their window is closing they have a lot of uncertainty about next year (shit, the whole league does with all the FAs), the pick is literally the best asset they have. Love may be the third-best after Crowder. What the fuck kind of offer could they get that would be worth giving those two up?

On a non-Cavs note, glad to hear it sounds like the Mavericks are leaning toward going with a smaller lineup (Smith/Curry/Matthews/Barnes/Dirk) and bringing Nerlens off the bench b/c he sucks on offense. Alongside a quick PG, Seth -- who's in a contract year -- could be the beneficiary of a lot of open looks and end up one of their top 2 scorers along with Barnes.

Wackness. Their window is closing they have a lot of uncertainty about next year (shit, the whole league does with all the FAs), the pick is literally the best asset they have. Love may be the third-best after Crowder. What the fuck kind of offer could they get that would be worth giving those two up?
Great shape may be a bit much but very good shape. Lebron will still be elite for 5 more years. Love and that pick could probably get George, Cousins, etc or a player of that caliber.

Great shape may be a bit much but very good shape. Lebron will still be elite for 5 more years. Love and that pick could probably get George, Cousins, etc or a player of that caliber.

I realized after I made my post that Cousins, whom you mentioned, really might actually be worth it. A young All-Star who's a significant upgrade over Love with multiple years on their deal is the one scenario that I think makes sense.

George for a spring rental? No way is that worth a top 5 pick. If he really wants to sign with the Cavs in the summer, he can do it; I assume having a top draft pick on board will only make that more likely. It's true that the Cavs would need to shed some salary, but there are more sensible ways to do that than Love.

I will say that on paper this is a fairly impressive 1-10.

Derrick Rose
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Kevin Love
Tristan Thompson
--
Isaiah Thomas
Jae Crowder
Kyle Korver
J.R. Smith
Jeff Green (or maybe Shump if Green is really busted, but that's a very perimeter-oriented bench).

It's a little more daunting planning for the future when you consider how old everyone is, though. Age as of the start of the 2018 Playoffs:

Derrick Rose (29)
Dwyane Wade (34)
LeBron James (33)
Kevin Love (29)
Tristan Thompson (27)
--
Isaiah Thomas (29)
Jae Crowder (27)
Kyle Korver (37)
J.R. Smith (32)
Jeff Green (31)

add that to a deep bench of Calderon (36), Frye (34), Shumpert (27).

The Cavs may not have a single player in their top 13 who is within EIGHT years of next year's top picks.

Who the Cavs retain after this season depends entirely on LeBron. So does what they do with the pick. If Lebron leaves, I would lose Thomas (if he even wants to be there anyway) and rebuild around picks.

Klay says he's open to taking a discount if it means the team can stay together. Luckiest string of luck a franchise has gotten in a long, long time.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom