Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

Duke University once again proving itself to harbor the worst people in America - half of the Duke College Republicans wanted to endorse Trump. Hopefully they don't commit hate crimes against our basketball players this season. Wait for the next season Duke basketball is supposed to be down before doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you think that, but a plurality prefers Duke over Trump:

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep getting reminded--- he's legitimately a psychopath. Tonight drove it home for me again.

I don't think he can win. There's no way a single person who wasn't a fervent Trump supporter before tonight could've seen that speech and been anything besides horrified.

This hat is incredible, though.
CrO-UyMUEAE-pbx.jpg:large

I believe he would've won if he stayed on his recent trajectory. It makes all the sense in the world to "soften," from an "I actually want to win the election" perspective. His supporters aren't voting for anyone else, and they're going to vote, because the right to vote is one of the very few things they have in life that makes them feel equal to people who are aren't poor uneducated rednecks. He could've blatantly morphed into a slightly left centrist, and he still would've gotten the 35% uneducated racist vote in America. Morph into a traditional conservative and stick to what his speechwriters want him to say, however, and he would've gotten another 10-15% from Republicans who are just waiting for him to not be a lunatic. He would've won the election.

Again, he doesn't want to win.

Trump leads in new CNN poll. Hillary is literally the kind of candidate that an opponent can simply cease attacking the parents of fallen soldiers for a month and climb back from a ten point deficit.

538 moved Hillary's chances down to 67%. So naturally, the people confident in her victory should be equally as confident when Duke opens as a 2.5 point favorite against Notre Dame this season.

I don't/haven't followed politics for most of my life, but I don't understand what is so bad about Hillary compared to any other run-of-the-mill Democratic candidate. Why is she so much worse than an Obama?

ZackM said:
I don't/haven't followed politics for most of my life, but I don't understand what is so bad about Hillary compared to any other run-of-the-mill Democratic candidate. Why is she so much worse than an Obama?

She is the political machine personified. I can't figure out for the life of me why the passionate/rabid Bernie fans can even cast a vote for her. I understand the public concept of "not voting Hillary is a vote for Trump," but she is so against their supposed convictions. Bernie supporters were all about shaking up the system yet they won't give legitimacy to a third party bid?

Also, it is rare that someone who is likely the next president is this embroiled in controversy. Personally I think she's a robot with AI created by special interest. I can't relate to her on a human level whatsoever.

Johnson might be the only one who could get me to the voting booth at this point. Go Cornell.

dub_seahawks said:
I can't figure out for the life of me why the passionate/rabid Bernie fans can even cast a vote for her. I understand the public concept of "not voting Hillary is a vote for Trump," but she is so against their supposed convictions. Bernie supporters were all about shaking up the system yet they won't give legitimacy to a third party bid?

Are you somehow under the impression that there is a nonzero chance of someone other than Clinton or Trump being president come January?

It's a simple equation. Rational Bernie supporters believe Clinton is much better than Trump, and understand those are the two options.

I normally am relatively sympathetic to 3rd-party voters, but Trump is an extreme enough outcome that I'm judging them pretty harshly this time around if they're in a state that is even remotely contested. Such an irresponsible thing people are generally doing for their own egos, IMO.

I think voting is an extremely irrational act from an economic perspective, since the time and effort involved do not warrant the minuscule chance of your individual vote having any practical effect on the outcome (i.e., your vote doesn't matter).

Nonetheless, I'm going to vote this time, for the first time in my life. I just registered for the first time in 16 years. The utility I get from knowing that I've done everything I can to make Trump lose, whether he wins or loses, is worth the hour or two of my time and fighting through shitty traffic and a bunch of gross people. I would do this even in NY or CA. I would set a price of about $500 on the peace of mind that I used my only real voice against Trump when I had the chance. In no other election in my life so far would I have set any value on this beyond a few cents or $1.

In complete seriousness, I would vote for an inanimate object over Trump. FFS, I would vote for Ted Cruz over Trump. Ted Fucking Cruz. What a shitty time to be alive.

dub_seahawks said:
Also, it is rare that someone who is likely the next president is this embroiled in controversy. Personally I think she's a robot with AI created by special interest. I can't relate to her on a human level whatsoever.

The most important special interest being the GOP smear campaign that's been going on since 1990. This Clinton has little to do with reality.

Rare? Have you forgotten Obama? The Clinton controversies started with Bill and let's not forget the swiftboating of Kerry, a decorated veteran.

No way I would vote for Clinton or Trump, so there's a good chance I will sit out yet another presidential election. If Johnson looks like he's polling well enough, I might go vote for him just in the stupid hope that a third party could gain some momentum. But I probably won't.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom