Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

I did a service trip to Alabama one summer. I was outside of Birmingham for about 4 weeks working in a community center with elementary aged kids. I met some of the genuinely nicest people of my life through that community center but what stood out to me more than anything was their pride in the economic deficiencies of their area. It was as if they didn't want things to improve because so much of their self esteem derived from knowing the terrible conditions they were subjected to didn't kill them. Like how northerners brag about surviving in the cold all the time, oblivious or indifferent to the misery it constantly brings.

I did a service trip to Alabama one summer. I was outside of Birmingham for about 4 weeks working in a community center with elementary aged kids. I met some of the genuinely nicest people of my life through that community center but what stood out to me more than anything was their pride in the economic deficiencies of their area. It was as if they didn't want things to improve because so much of their self esteem derived from knowing the terrible conditions they were subjected to didn't kill them. Like how northerners brag about surviving in the cold all the time, oblivious or indifferent to the misery it constantly brings.

I went to high school in South Carolina,and a popular saying about the SC education system at that time was, "Thank God for Mississippi".

Interesting take. I actually don't know many people who have this kind of attitude, and I have lived around northern people all of my life.

Interesting take. I actually don't know many people who have this kind of attitude, and I have lived around northern people all of my life.

You need to spend time in the south, where every winter we have migrated Yankees bragging to us about how cold it was "back home". An odd brag, since they obviously moved south to get away from the cold that they're now so clearly proud of.

Yeah - I have no experience with that, I guess. The people we visit in the south (Florida) have been living there since coming over from India, so they don't relate to Canadian winters and we generally don't discuss it.

I can see making jokes about 'toughing it out' through the cold, but it is not necessarily a source of pride, which I understand is the point.

Yeah I think that's perspective because it's absolutely a point of pride to the relocated northerners here

I was going to say the same thing. People in Michigan either enjoy the Winter or they hate it and bitch like everyone else.

I'm feeling ashamed today.
game-of-thrones-most-pirated.gif

This thread is flabbergasting. I don't know how I keep on getting surprised by this shit. We are led by a moron.

I love this. He says this at a rally for Strange with Strange there.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom