Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

I burned through Goliath in a single night. It had some over-the-top characters, acting, and situations, and the ending was predictable. But Billy Bob Thornton is just so damned good. I also liked the noirish feel as contrasted with the sunny Santa Monica setting. Reminded me of Veronica Mars in that sense, though not so purposefully stylized.

That damned clicker William Hurt used annoyed the shit out of me. Also, Tania Raymonde, who plays Brittany Gold, has come such a long way since Lost.

Alex-Rousseau-Lost-tania-raymonde-21103289-400-220.jpg

tumblr_n854phRtzQ1tzgbrxo1_400.gif

William Hurt's character was mostly who I was referring to when I said ''over-the-top." In general, the show would have been better if the bad guys were more subtly bad. I enjoyed Molly Parker's character, Callie Senate, much more, for example.

I wasted several irretrievable hours of my life over the holidays watching something called The Kettering Incident on Amazon. The setting - Tasmania - was lovely, and that's about the only thing good I can say about the experience.

TIL Ken Jeong has his own sitcom called Dr. Ken. I am not watching it, but it is in its 2nd season on network TV.

aiw said:
TIL Ken Jeong has his own sitcom called Dr. Ken. I am not watching it, but it is in its 2nd season on network TV.

I went to a live taping of it when I was in LA last year. It wasn't very funny, but it was still a fun experience.

I'm sure that was awesome. I went to a taping of Wheel of Fortune when I was a kid. Neat to see once. Lot of down time. Also, back when you had to pick your prizes like $1500 lamps.

The Netflix adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events is easily the best thing Netflix has made.

rome8180 said:
The Netflix adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events is easily the best thing Netflix has made.

Yeah, I'm liking it, although I was a little confused at first. I thought it was going to be about the 2016-2017 Duke Men's Basketball team.

I'm liking Taboo a lot so far, even though it takes subtitles for me to understand 80% of what Tom Hardy says.

rome8180 said:

My flu-stricken wife stayed in bed and watched the entire thing yesterday in essentially an uninterrupted viewing. It's not my thing, but that seems like a solid endorsement.

Lately I've enjoyed both Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix and the PBS documentary series Soundbreaking, which is now on Hulu, but I'll watch almost anything that involves the process of making music.

Hip Hop Evolution is in my queue. It's rated close to 5 stars for me. My biggest worry was that it would be a simplistic take, or would leave key elements out.

TS9 said:
Lately I've enjoyed both Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix and the PBS documentary series Soundbreaking, which is now on Hulu, but I'll watch almost anything that involves the process of making music.
Noticed your avatar right away, what do you play?

rome8180 said:
Hip Hop Evolution is in my queue. It's rated close to 5 stars for me. My biggest worry was that it would be a simplistic take, or would leave key elements out.

I haven't found it to be simplistic, and it strikes a decent balance between exploring the cultural and technological factors that influenced various points in the genre's history. But I'm far from an expert on hip hop, so I suspect it might seem in places to be somewhat superficial and/or incomplete to folks who are more knowledgable. But it's pretty entertaining, and the interviews are numerous and good.

rhfarmer said:
TS9 said:
Noticed your avatar right away, what do you play?

Guitar, mostly electric. I do some home recording as well, so I can fake my way through piano and drum programming.

TS9 said:
rome8180 said:

I haven't found it to be simplistic, and it strikes a decent balance between exploring the cultural and technological factors that influenced various points in the genre's history. But I'm far from an expert on hip hop, so I suspect it might seem in places to be somewhat superficial and/or incomplete to folks who are more knowledgable. But it's pretty entertaining, and the interviews are numerous and good.

I'm not an expert myself, but I suspect almost no show like that would ever satisfy a true obsessive.

If I were to watch one about punk rock or indie or something, I'd probably be bitching about everything they left out and all the minor things they got wrong.

Attempting to re-watch Homeland season 4 in hopes of getting all caught up. Still hard to watch, this Quinn/whale lady storyline is tough to sit through.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom