Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Topher said:
CK86 said:
Really like "The Magicians" on syfy/netflix. Interesting characters with a couple looming overall villains. Reminds me in terms of character like ability of Buffy (which is one of my all-time favorite shows.

We've been watching it a lot lately (binged the 1st season before S2 started) and have really liked it. The "final questions" before they could be crowned had me dying.

Just finished episode 3 of season 2:

Everyone dying in this episode was great. It started out all harmless and fun then suddenly gets super dark.

I never expected the end of the episode to be Alice killing The Beast and then her getting killed by Quentin. Such a great twist. As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm enjoying not having a clue where things are going. I hope they bring back Alice as a hallucination that fucks with Quentin's mind similar to the effects of the episode from the 1st season where you didn't know if he was crazy or not.

"Agents of Shield" is so fucking good right now. It's a shame that season 1 of the show had to wait until the events of Captain America before it could reach its full potential but now it's amazing. If this is the last season then it's going out on a high note. I hate that we have to wait six weeks after tonight's episode but if it keeps this momentum going then it'll be well worth the wait.

Thain said:
How often does it tie into the Avengers?

They will make references here and there to it and the universe at large. Usually they'll tie in an episode or two before a movie comes out and after. It's heavier in the 1st season when they're waiting for the Captain America movie like 16-18 episodes or so into it because that movie directly effects the entire show. Lady Sif from the Thor movies has made a couple of appearances as did Samuel L Jackson in an episode. The first third of this season with Ghost Rider tied in more with Doctor Strange and the 2nd third has referenced Ultron and Captain America and the effects of them.

Mostly though the first 16-18 episodes or so is about getting to know the characters and going with kind of a villain of the week story like every other show. Then from 16 on, it changes entirely. Supposedly the last third of season 4 is going to be reference the first season as kind of a reward to the fans who have been there since the beginning.

SHIELD

That closing segment last night............... :shock:

Can't wait. And I eagerly await the Inhumans series this fall.

Watching first season of Billions and 2nd season of Leftovers. These are just meh time killers until things like Better Call Saul are back.

I watched two episodes of Billions and couldn't get over how terrible the dialogue and acting and plot were.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Watching first season of Billions and 2nd season of Leftovers. These are just meh time killers until things like Better Call Saul are back.

Given that Duke's basketball season will be ending in a couple of weeks, and to offer an alternative to obsessing over whatever Trump is doing, here are some of my favorite current/recent time killers (In no particular order)

Taboo (The best)
Legion
Black Sails
Apple Tree Yard (BBC)
One of Us (BBC)
Fortitude (Season 1 on Amazon)
Sneaky Pete (Amazon. Margo Martindale improves any production she's cast in. That old lady can act)

I was surprised to hear Colbert has overtaken Fallon in overall ratings and is closing the gap in the 18-49 demographic. I didn't think this would ever happen, since Fallon generally gets better guests and has a more social media-friendly structure to his show, built for today. It's obviously due to Colbert's willingness to go all-in on bashing Trump/Republicans, while Fallon tries to appeal to the old Leno audience with dumbed down, moderate, inoffensive slants. Conan is kind of the same as Fallon these days politically on his show, though Conan's humor remains totally bizarre. Maybe they'll change their approaches given Colbert's success.

I don't think many Trump supporters watch late night talk shows. Do they stick to syndicated comedies like Friends and Two and a Half Men? That seems right.

Trump ensured Colbert's job. I'm not sure he'll technically get the deserved credit for job creation here, but he's certainly guaranteed Colbert's employment until people revert back to not caring about politics.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I was surprised to hear Colbert has overtaken Fallon in overall ratings and is closing the gap in the 18-49 demographic. I didn't think this would ever happen, since Fallon generally gets better guests and has a more social media-friendly structure to his show, built for today. It's obviously due to Colbert's willingness to go all-in on bashing Trump/Republicans, while Fallon tries to appeal to the old Leno audience with dumbed down, moderate, inoffensive slants. Conan is kind of the same as Fallon these days politically on his show, though Conan's humor remains totally bizarre. Maybe they'll change their approaches given Colbert's success.

I don't think many Trump supporters watch late night talk shows. Do they stick to syndicated comedies like Friends and Two and a Half Men? That seems right.

I think late night they're watching Trinity Broadcasting. Or maybe QVC.

Started watching Schitt's Creek on Netflix the other day. It's a CBC comedy with Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. It's silly, but I find it hilarious.

Legion is such an amazing mindfuck of a show. I have no idea what's going on, but it's fascinating. It makes Lost seem like a straightforward documentary.

deepdarkblue said:
Legion is such an amazing mindfuck of a show. I have no idea what's going on, but it's fascinating. It makes Lost seem like a straightforward documentary.
I love that show. Completely agree with your assessment.

Really enjoyed season 1 of "Versailles". I'm biased though since I liked the actor for Louie XIV who played Athelstan in "Vikings". I finished it in 3 days and am looking forward to seasons 2 and 3 (already renewed for a third before the second season started). I'm going to re-watch it fairly soon most likely, really liked it flaws and all.

Also finished up both versions of the story of Rodrigo Borgia and his family. "The Borgias" (showtime version) was entertaining but had an unsatisfying ending due to the unexpected cancellation. If they had gotten a true series finale, I would've liked them to have Pope Alexander try to repent but have it be too late because he's already dead and in hell.

"Borgia" (netflix version) had a more fitting ending and satisfying story overall but I didn't like the actors/actresses quite as much as "The Borgias". It also had a couple annoying aspects that were persistent from beginning of the series to the end. The guy annoucning the arrival of "Pope Alexander the sixth of that name" every time the Pope would show up was annoying as fuck. I also didn't like how whiny a couple of the characters were at different times.

I'm sure "Borgia" is better on rewatch but ultimately I think I'll still prefer "The Borgias" to "Borgia" based on actors/actresses likeabilty.

I also jus started on "Medici: Masters of Florence". I've fallen asleep twice in the 1st two episodes so not hooked yet. Only has 1 season though and I like this time period so will probably power through it and hope I become more interested.

Friday Nights Lights rewatch. I enjoy this perfect world with a coach who knows what he is doing and a team that cares.

More seriously, Matt Saracen is every Duke player who was shat on for years and went on to do amazing things.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom