Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Tyrese Proctor

Heya, long time Duke fan here, but first post.

I'm an Australian bball journalist who's been following Tyrese since he was 15, and I just put together this in depth scouting report on Proctor. I'd love to hear what you guys thought of the analysis?

Annoyingly I've only just found these message boards, would've loved to have had the convo over his game beforehand! So keen to see how good he can be in year 2, personally I think he should be a lock to go in the top-ten in the next draft.

Welcome! I am hopeful he plays like a top 10 pick this season as that would bode well for Duke's chances at winning a title. I'm a big fan of his pick and roll ability combined with his defense. Hoping he continues to develop his shot and is able to become an all around offensive threat.

I'm an Australian bball journalist who's been following Tyrese since he was 15, and I just put together this in depth scouting report on Proctor. I'd love to hear what you guys thought of the analysis?

Annoyingly I've only just found these message boards, would've loved to have had the convo over his game beforehand! So keen to see how good he can be in year 2, personally I think he should be a lock to go in the top-ten in the next draft.

Great video. I appreciate your use of Synergy stats. And I agree with your conclusions.

I think Proctor will be a top 3 point guard in all of college basketball this year and will be a lottery pick. I think his shooting percentages toward the end of the year are more indicative of his ability than what we saw to start the season. Like you mentioned, he was very young. And Duke's offense was just gross to start the season overall. Plus, there was a lack of clarity in his role. Once he became the team's clearcut point guard he looked much better on offense.

Given his catch-and-shoot numbers and ppp as a cutter, you'd expect him to have been better in that off-ball role than he was. But Duke didn't really use him that way. I watched some of his Australian footage and was surprised to see him being used as primarily a movement shooter rather than a traditional ball-dominant point guard. Your Jamal Murray comparison makes sense. I hope Duke uses him more in that capacity this year. I don't see it as incompatible with an on-ball role. (See Jamal Murray again.)

My favorite part of his game is probably the defense. If he wasn't Duke's best freshman perimeter defender ever, he was close to the top. His screen navigation was a joy to watch.

Last edited:
My biggest criticism of his game is his tendency to bail out before the rim. During the UNC game in Cameron, Armando Bacot was in a drop defense and Proctor was baited into taking floater after floater. This was frustrating considering Bacot is not an elite rim protector and can often get in foul trouble. Since Proctor shoots so well from the line, it would have made sense to go right at him. But even when Proctor does get to the rim, he often contorts in weird ways to avoid contact. This has a negative impact on his finishing numbers and FT rate.

His best game penetrating all year was against Tennessee. I'm hoping that's something he can carry forward. He looked like Duke's only competent offensive player in that game. Duke was completely outmatched by Tennessee's "physicality" (read: assault).

And by contrast this year, he's the only returning starter who didn't miss some of the summer due to injury.

Great video. I appreciate your use of Synergy stats. And I agree with your conclusions.

I think Proctor will be a top 3 point guard in all of college basketball this year and will be a lottery pick. I think his shooting percentages toward the end of the year are more indicative of his ability than what we saw to start the season. Like you mentioned, he was very young. And Duke's offense was just gross to start the season overall. Plus, there was a lack of clarity in his role. Once he became the team's clearcut point guard he looked much better on offense.

Given his catch-and-shoot numbers and ppp as a cutter, you'd expect him to have been better in that off-ball role than he was. But Duke didn't really use him that way. I watched some of his Australian footage and was surprised to see him being used as primarily a movement shooter rather than a traditional ball-dominant point guard. Your Jamal Murray comparison makes sense. I hope Duke uses him more in that capacity this year. I don't see it as incompatible with an on-ball role. (See Jamal Murray again.)

My favorite part of his game is probably the defense. If he wasn't Duke's best freshman perimeter defender ever, he was close to the top. His screen navigation was a joy to watch.

Thanks so much for that, totally agree with everything you said.

And yeah, he's always been more of a shooter here in Australia, but our level of on-ball and close-out defence / athleticism is just so much lower than the US. Especially at our HS level, so I think it was a huge adjustment for him.

What sort of players do you think would work best to complement his game? I really haven't seen enough of Duke's freshman guards coming in this year to know how they might all fit together, even though I'm hearing really good things about McCain and Foster

It's definitely a word. You just don't hear it as often. An American would probably say "Excited to see how good he can be..." etc.

Thanks so much for that, totally agree with everything you said.

And yeah, he's always been more of a shooter here in Australia, but our level of on-ball and close-out defence / athleticism is just so much lower than the US. Especially at our HS level, so I think it was a huge adjustment for him.

What sort of players do you think would work best to complement his game? I really haven't seen enough of Duke's freshman guards coming in this year to know how they might all fit together, even though I'm hearing really good things about McCain and Foster

Proctor seems to be great that finding shooters in the corners. Duke just didn't really have those targets for him last year. Mark Mitchell was a good corner shooter, but his 3pt volume was very low. Dariq Whitehead also hit a fair amount of corner threes, but he was coming off the bench and missed a bunch of games due to injury. That was about the extent of it. Roach prefers the midrange, and when he does take threes they're often from the right wing. If memory serves, most of Filipowski's threes were from the top of the key or the left wing, and his percentages were bad.

Point being, I believe Proctor's drive-and-kick game will benefit from better shooters in general, and better corner shooters in particular. I expect his assist numbers to jump up to around 5 per game.

I do think he'll miss having Lively as a pick and roll partner. But from what I've seen from practices, Duke is still making a concerted effort to hit the rolling big man. The guards seem to want to hit them early in the short roll. They trust the bigs to make decisions in the lane. This may mean that Proctor ends up with a lot of uncredited "hockey assists" as his initial pass results in the rolling big hitting a cutter or kicking out.

I see Proctor's ideal partner being an elite passing big man. I can't help but come back to the Murray/Jokic pairing. Or the way guys like Huerter and Monk operate off Sabonis.

I see Tyrese as kind of a hybrid of Murray and Cade Cunningham, tbh. So I can also see constructing a team the way Detroit will eventually need to construct a team around Cade. Lots of shooters and a rim running big. Not sure Proctor ever gets to that level where he'll need a team built around him (it's still a question whether Cade does either), but I do think he could be a great pro.

What a weird performance. Other than bricking his threes, I thought he had a very good first half. Was owning Love on D, and was on a nice roll manufacturing points for himself/Flip/even Reeves to keep us in it when everyone else sucked. Seemed to lose his mojo after halftime, though, and had some moments that really hurt us.

I assume the shooting is just an aberration, given how well he's shot against the scrub teams so far. Not sure what to make of him seeming to fade as the game got bigger, though.

Not saying Proctor was great or everything Duke needed last night. It is obvious, however, that spacing for long stretches was laughably terrible with Young on the court.

Cade Cunningham has to deal with this garbage on a daily basis, in perhaps the worst spacing lineups in basketball, which is why his offensive numbers are widely considered incredible despite being being merely good in a vacuum. Vecenie tweets a ton about him, too. Forcing your players to deal with this, with no apparent reward on defense (Young does not seem to be as good as Rudy Gobert defensively) is simply bad coaching.

Proctor is not on that level and probably never will be, but I can’t expect him to thrive under these conditions. Yes, it would’ve been nice if Proctor had hit one more 3 - Duke likely wins in that scenario - but the one more made 3 in one game in November is complete randomness.

Scheyer and Young put a brick wall in front of him and every other Duke player last night. I also fear that Mitchell is going to be exposed from 3 this season, which makes the spacing problem exponentially worse. Young is what he is. Scheyer can change. If he doesn’t, and if he puts Young in for more than, say, 4 minutes against good teams all season, Duke is cooked and will probably need a different coach to win their next national title.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom