Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2015-16 Discussion Thread

First time I've been to his twitter in well over a year. Glad to see he's still doing Young Jeezy "I gotta go to work" shtick. Very important for Jay to continue to break down social and racial barriers by showing how relatable he is.

Meeks back supposedly. This program never sinks as low as I hoping, though to be honest I'm not sure if his return is a good or bad things. It does give them more depth, which was a big weakness.

I thought this year's Meeks was a net negative. Here's hoping he maintains at that level.

Meeks would not be drafted even if there were 7 rounds like the NFL draft, so although it probably makes UNC better next season, it's hard to be mad about someone choosing not to make an absurdly terrible life decision.

I guess. He isn't going to be drafted in the top 7 rounds next year, either, and his shelf life as an 'athlete' is likely pretty short. He isn't making the 'Brice Johnson' jump.

Even if he performs well, I think his presence precludes Roy from going to a - possibly very effective - small ball lineup with Jackson and Pinson at the forwards. So that is a pretty positive development. Much rather him stay and Jackson go than vice versa.

Everyone returning again, no significant NCAA penalties likely, unstoppable point guard on the way for Roy's system, Barnes and McAdoo about to repeat as world champions, Duke recruiting somehow losing its mind and failing with Bamba, Carter, Trent and Green, K about to get life threatening illness/murdered in Brazil...

Game, UNC.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Everyone returning again, no significant NCAA penalties likely, unstoppable point guard on the way for Roy's system, Barnes and McAdoo about to repeat as world champions, Duke recruiting somehow losing its mind and failing with Bamba, Carter, Trent and Green, K about to get life threatening illness/murdered in Brazil...

Game, UNC.

I look forward to the day the NCAA is toppled.

#79 composite on 247sports. The momentum from the national title game appearance continues.

Class of 2018. Duke doesn't even have a 2017 guy yet. As usual, Roy is two steps ahead.

I can't fully enjoy UNC stockpiling their roster with 3 star scrubs because of the shit job K and staff have been doing in recruiting the last 6 months. Thanks a lot.

That 60 year streak of Duke and UNC facing off when at least one team is ranked could be nearing its end.

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

Here in Chapel Hill -- and UNC forward Justin Jackson said he has yet to watch replay of last year's national championship loss to Villanova. Also said that Roy Williams mentioned the game for the first time since April the other day when team was doing sprints and didn't post a fast enough time. "He said Villanova makes all its times," Jackson said. "It upset me just hearing it."

I know Roy is scum of earth level awful as a coach and all around person, but picturing this made me laugh. He's going to throw Villanova in his player's faces all season.

I watched The Official "The Shot" Shot again because of this.

I'll never be able to wrap my brain around Roy's "Running = Winning" approach to coaching. I guess that's why he's the HOF'er and I'm just some asshole on a messageboard.

If you have the best players, running makes a lot of sense. Plus, players like to run. There is some science behind shooting early in the shot clock, which someone not as lazy as I can look up.

Higher possession games simply lower the probability of shooting - and other statistical - anomalies by 'lengthening' the game. Kind of like stock market fluctuations. The likelihood that 2-3 'lucky' bounces affects the outcome of an 85 possession game is far lower than the likelihood in a 60 possession game. Nova couldn't possibly have shot 90% vs. G'Town in 1985 had the pace been higher in the second half.

Then there is the fatigue factor if you have a bench, and the general desire of player to run-and-gun. Of course, when your entire philosophy is predicated on this at the expense of disciplined and creative half-court sets, you run into problems when faced with comparable talent that can control the pace. Pitino's UK teams suffered terribly from this. Roy's solution was to recruit OAD players and keep them for 3-4 years to give him an insurmountable talent/experience edge. Though it is clearly a self-defeating strategy, can't say Roy didn't max it out prior to collapse.

In three years Duke-UNC games will just be our unathletic goofy whites versus their even lower ranked unathletic stiffs. Jamac and DEVIL66 will be proud.

DurhamSon said:

In three years Duke-UNC games will just be our unathletic goofy whites versus their even lower ranked unathletic stiffs. Jamac and DEVIL66 will be proud.

There will be much honor in these games.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom