Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weather Thread

Nothing dumber than being open at work during shitty blizzard like weather.

I've been in Illinois for five out of the last seven years. I've never seen anything even close to this. It usually doesn't get below zero (and often not even that cold). During the polar vortex it was -13.

Think about this: the difference between 83 and 30 feels pretty extreme, right? Well, that's the same difference between 30 and -23.

Think about this: the difference between 83 and 30 feels pretty extreme, right? Well, that's the same difference between 30 and -23.
A coworker and I have had discussions about how everything colder than 20 degrees feels the same. When I went out the other day and it was -20, I had to reevaluate that position. At -20 it felt like I hit a wall when I walked outside.

I had to go to NYC one February for business. Walked out of my hotel in the morning and it was -5. It was actually painful.

A coworker and I have had discussions about how everything colder than 20 degrees feels the same. When I went out the other day and it was -20, I had to reevaluate that position. At -20 it felt like I hit a wall when I walked outside.
I would agree that 20 and zero don't feel very different. You basically get numb.

I have a recently added coworker who was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska. He is going back to visit his family this week. Why the hell would you visit your Fairbanks family any time other than summer?

I’ve only been in negative temps a handful of times. It’s pretty damn miserable. I can’t imagine living anywhere that the average high for a month is 1°F.

I have a recently added coworker who was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska. He is going back to visit his family this week. Why the hell would you visit your Fairbanks family any time other than summer?

I’ve only been in negative temps a handful of times. It’s pretty damn miserable. I can’t imagine living anywhere that the average high for a month is 1°F.
1 degree is really not that bad if you're dressed right. Plus, your body adjusts pretty fast. It's to the point where I'll wear only a hoodie in 30 degrees and not feel cold at all.

Anyway, I'd rather have that than the 100 degrees with 90% humidity that you get in the South. That, to me, is the least acceptable type of weather. I just feel tired and stupid the entire time.

1 degree is really not that bad if you're dressed right.
I hate super hot and humid, too, but I don't think can't agree with this. Maybe you're right that I would eventually get used to it, but growing up in Arkansas that shit is miserable to me, especially if you have any wind with it.

But the shitty thing about a place like Fairbanks is that 1 is the average high for a month. Of couse many of those days the high temp will be much colder, and you'll only get like 4-5 hours of sunlight.

Dang, that's nice. Our clinic makes everyone use PTO for snow/ice closings. As a salaried employee, I find this to be bullshit. Also, we're a cancer clinic whose patients are all (unless they die first) going to come back another day anyway. The revenue is simply delayed by a day or weekend. We don't lose money by not being open for a day, but they still wipe a lot of money off the books by grabbing 8-10 hours from everyone.

Heat > Cold

When it's cold, every trip outside of the house is a process. I have to get bundled up just to get my mail. And then there's the issue of driving.

Today I waited until my snow plow guy cleared my driveway to go to the store, but as soon as he left, the city plow came down the road and made a huge ridge at the end of my driveway. So I had to walk out to my shed to get a shovel and knock the ridge down to a low enough level that I could get out of my driveway.

Everything is just such a pain in the ass in the winter.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom