Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Wendell Carter Jr.

Much better job of staying vertical while challenging shots. I wonder if he was actually coached. He probably figured it out on his own.

I also thought the refs cut him a bit more slack, tbh. Several of those are probably fouls in other games.

I also thought the refs cut him a bit more slack, tbh. Several of those are probably fouls in other games.

Only because officiating is generally terrible. Like Physics said, he did a great job staying vertical on contests inside. There was body contact but he is entitled to his space as well. I thought the officiating was great tonight.

Yeah, I wasn't saying those previous calls were fair. I was saying the refs didn't get foul-happy or blow anticipatory whistles.

He did reach less though. Capel talked about that after the last game.

As we all knew the way to beat this team was high ball screens with whichever big Wendell is guarding. He was fucking awful. Do they watch any film? Had no idea what to do over and over and would run into our guys trying to recover on hedges making it worse.

Also didn’t help he had hands of brick today rebounding.

We really missed Bolden today and I say that with full sincerity

Only quoting this as a reminder of how shitty a potentially incredible post defender can look if you have him constantly sprinting out to halfcourt.

That was the best individual defensive performance I can remember by a Duke player in the last few years. What a joy to watch he is right now. The fact that he's a legitimate 3PT shooter and can even drive a little bit is just so much fun.

He needs to get better at passing out of the post - specifically, passing to Duke instead of their opponents. But he's basically a perfect player otherwise right now.

Calipari made the likes of Karl-Anthony Towns appear to be a defensive force at Kentucky, just imagine how astronomical Carter's block rate would be in his system.

This kid is a badass in every facet of the game.

The takeaway block was the most badass defensive play by a player in a duke uniform in years. I'm struggling to remember one as of recent even close. I'm sure it was something Justise did that isn't coming to mind at the moment.

He was even better the second time I watched the game. Trent is getting all the credit for saving us with his second half 3's, but without Carter I'm not sure those baskets would have meant anything other than a slightly closer loss. Carter's defense was just amazing.

Even Coach K didn't mention Carter in the post-game. When you google Wendell Carter, you still get an article about him elbowing a MSU player. If you want to know why I talk about him so much,, that's why.

BTW, Justise had multiple chasedown blocks while at Duke.

After one of the best individual performances ever at Duke, Carter’s BPM has risen to 13.2.

This is the highest BPM at Duke since BPM started being recorded by sports-reference (2011), excluding Kyrie Irving’s 14.3 over 11 games. This means that, if you believe in BPM, Carter can be thought of as the most valuable player per minute at Duke since the stat began for college, besides Irving over a smaller and weirder sample size.

The highest BPMs on Duke 2015 were Marshall Plumlee 11.3 and Jahlil Okafor at 10.9. On Kentucky 2015, Karl Towns 17.3 and Willie Cauley-Stein 14.7.

Carter also has the highest net efficiency on the team, besides DeLaurier in a much smaller sample size (offensive rating minus defensive rating). His offensive rating is slightly better than Bagley’s and his defensive rating is significantly better. Bagley, of course, carries a much bigger burden on offense, with 27% usage to Carter’s 22%. Would be nice to know what their respective defensive usage rates are (i.e., how many defensive possessions involve a Carter or Bagley deflection, block, steal, stop, etc.).

Even Coach K didn't mention Carter in the post-game. When you google Wendell Carter, you still get an article about him elbowing a MSU player. If you want to know why I talk about him so much,, that's why.

I think at one point he did refer to "the two big guys" protecting the basket, which might actually be worse, because it gives Bagley some credit for Carter's defense.

Yeah, Carter seems like one of those guys who's going to quietly win games for you and never get the credit he deserves.

Advanced stats should settle all this by now, but people are slow to change.

Didn't make DMBB's top 5 plays though. They thought a random Duval three was more deserving.

Topher's podcast made this point, but it's worth restating. The worst thing to happen to Carter at Duke may have been Marvin Bagley. May have legitimately cost him millions of dollars.

You don't think NBA scouts might dig a little deeper on a guy scoring 18-20 ppg and rebounding at 25%?

I mean, scouts are humans and subject to confirmation bias and hot takes too. Look at how everyone was worried about Tatum's defense while any Duke fan knew that was actually a strength of his game. And look at how stupid that write-up about Carter after the PK80 was. Granted, it may be the media buzz that's more responsible for this, but a lot of those quotes were attributed to actual scouts.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom