Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

In a way the internet and hot take media now is much worse than the days that crowds were furiously shouting "FAGGOT" at Laettner or even fans throwing batteries at JJ's parents. I mean fuck, the worst JJ had to deal with was some shitty pre-youtube video parody released about him.

Pantone287 said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Allen has better things to do than read Twitter and YouTube comments, and he can take solace in the fact that the people who actually wish physical harm on him are borderline retarded and will have lives millions of times less happy than his. I don't think he would be lying if he said he didn't care about this stuff at all.

I think we saw firsthand evidence of how wrong this is today.

Yeah, we can take a tantrum as conclusive evidence of how wrong it is, or we can look at his performance all last season during the hatred, and the performance of Redick and Laettner and Scheyer and on and on, and the fact that they all came back for more.

It's just as likely that a guy who keeps tripping people has other mental issues that would cause a tantrum, rather than pent-up sadness/anger over social media criticism.

So you're sticking to the stance that the hate and media scrutiny does not and has not affected him?

How did it affect him last season? And how did the hate and media scrutiny get to him 5 seconds after it started today, with him on a court without a computer?

Do Duke players even use the internet outside of facebook/instagram and snapchat? I would just assume between class, practice, sleep, sex, eating, and exercise, that they don't use the internet besides checking draft express.

Well, the normal human thing to assume would be that it's been building in him ever since the narrative started, and that we saw a peek of that today when he lost control, due to knowing what's coming after his mistake. Being affected by hatred and playing basketball well are not mutually exclusive things.

Anyway, I assume that's a yes, which is absolute insanity to me. Any sane 20 year-old human has to be affected by what he deals with.

I don't think he's dealt with the year well at all. He's gotta learn to shut everybody else out.

NPOY expectations derailed by injuries while the NADs nurse paper cuts and the other white dude on the team stealing all his shine.

Plays like best player in college basketball before, during and after tripping incidents all last season, with intense social media hatred.

Plays like ass in a ton of games this season. Plays like ass for a while against Elon. Gets technical foul for tripping again against Elon.

Has childish tantrum almost immediately.

How is there a simple, clear conclusion from this fact pattern that the media hatred has broken him mentally? He could very well be frustrated with the entire season, battling injury, continuing to shoot terribly, hurting his team again with a technical foul.

bdotling said:
I don't think he's dealt with the year well at all. He's gotta learn to shut everybody else out.

NPOY expectations derailed by injuries while the NADs nurse paper cuts and the other white dude on the team stealing all his shine.

I think that's a fair assessment. I don't think it's consuming him, nor that it isn't affecting him at all. We've known since freshmen year he feeds off his emotions for better or worse. I feel bad for him at this point. I wonder if JJ would be willing to stop by and have a really long chat with him or something and give him advice and offer him a line of communication.

Man this sucks. At this point he's taking it way too hard on himself, in part because he knows what the reaction will be.

“It was instant,” Redick says. “You come out an hour and a half before the game. I remember I had pretty bad acne on my shoulders, and there were kids who’d paint red dots on their shoulders. I wasn’t prepared for that.”

“I think I created this persona on the court to deal with the antics of the other crowd, to kind of combat that,” Redick says. “It’s not who I was. It was never who I was. I look back on that, especially my first two years, and I probably deserved a lot of the animosity.”

Redick's been open about how much it changed him while he was at Duke, and not in a good way... and that was before Facebook and Twitter were invented. Allen's had to deal with 100x the crap JJ ever did.

K trying to redirect the hate. That move is so pre-social media. Nice try, but won't work to relieve Grayson of the pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 2 threads on r/collegebasketball:

Grayson Allen Megathread
Grayson Allen trips another player (vs Elon)

Top comment (and top reply) to the above thread:

"And people still ask why everyone hates Allen."

"As a Duke fan I have no clue why anyone would ask that. He's a punk."

aiw said:

K trying to redirect the hate. That move is so pre-social media. Nice try, but won't work to relieve Grayson of the pressure.

Jesus. That reads like a Trump quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back