Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

It's a new meme that's going around with highschoolers making fun of student athletes that over-exaggerate how hard they work at sports all the time. Nothing to see there.

I guess we'll get lots of transfers this summer, with all the open roster spots we'll have available.

deepdarkblue said:
I guess we'll get lots of transfers this summer, with all the open roster spots we'll have available.

Clearly this is a joke - but are there even any reliable grad transfers?

If Jack White stays around long enough he will get to take off his warm up by default.

6ights said:
deepdarkblue said:

Clearly this is a joke - but are there even any reliable grad transfers?

Every year at this time we discuss various grad transfers who Duke expresses no interest in. I expect this year will be the same.

deepdarkblue said:
Every year at this time we discuss various grad transfers who Duke expresses no interest in. I expect this year will be the same.

Now that I'm feeling a tiny bit more optimistic about our freshman class, I'm thinking that this could be a good year to bring in a conventional transfer -- someone who'd be eligible in 2018-19 with a couple of years of eligibility. I think a guy like Noah Dickerson could fit in well and help a lot.

Really excited about 2017-2018. Good things coming our way. I think we'll be MUCH better. If we lose Grayson and Luke, I think it will be addition by subtraction. Luke was so bad defensively, and Grayson was never really the Grayson of 2016. We won't be relying on a 6'8 wing at center. We will have a dynamite point guard.

Number 1 overall seed come March, probably.

Kansas loses a lot. UNC loses a lot. Gonzaga. Louisville's already had 3 guys declare and they're losing Mathiang to graduation. Kentucky will be a top 10 team, but they are not close to the Davis or Wall teams, unless they get Bamba, which I doubt. UVA and Nova lose important pieces. UCLA? Nah. Indiana in Archie's first year? No. FSU loses a ton. Purdue loses Swanigan. Wisky loses Koening and Hayes.

Xavier and Arizona, especially, will be really good. Oregon will be good. Virginia Tech. Missouri and Alabama will be solid, led by stars. Michigan State, Baylor, and West Virginia will be good. Notre Dame will be good with Colson and Farrell.

37-3 with a couple of banners is my prediction. Best team since 1999.

Will Duke have more than 4 returning players next year?

deepdarkblue said:
Sure. Jack White, DeLaurier, Vrank, Bolden, Brennan Besser. Solid.

Frank Jackson? He and Marques Bolden could be in the rotation. I don't have much hope for the other three scholarship guys.

AxeS24 said:
Really excited about 2017-2018. Good things coming our way. I think we'll be MUCH better. If we lose Grayson and Luke, I think it will be addition by subtraction. Luke was so bad defensively, and Grayson was never really the Grayson of 2016. We won't be relying on a 6'8 wing at center. We will have a dynamite point guard.

Kansas loses a lot. UNC loses a lot. Gonzaga. Louisville's already had 3 guys declare and they're losing Mathiang to graduation. Kentucky will be a top 10 team, but they are not close to the Davis or Wall teams, unless they get Bamba, which I doubt. UVA and Nova lose important pieces. UCLA? Nah. Indiana in Archie's first year? No. FSU loses a ton. Purdue loses Swanigan. Wisky loses Koening and Hayes.

Xavier and Arizona, especially, will be really good. Oregon will be good. Virginia Tech. Missouri and Alabama will be solid, led by stars. Michigan State, Baylor, and West Virginia will be good. Notre Dame will be good with Colson and Farrell.

Who is the dynamite PG?

rhfarmer said:
AxeS24 said:

Who is the dynamite PG?

Trevon Duval.

So, just to be clear, Duke loses Allen, Kennard, Jones, Amile, Tatum, Giles--6 out of 7 rotation players who averaged more than 10 minutes per game--and gets MUCH better.

I look forward to this.

rhfarmer said:
So, just to be clear, Duke loses Allen, Kennard, Jones, Amile, Tatum, Giles--6 out of 7 rotation players who averaged more than 10 minutes per game--and gets MUCH better.

I look forward to this.

Only real loss is Tatum, IMO. Giles wasn't himself. Jefferson was undersized. Jones? meh. Luke and Grayson were great on O but awful on D.

It's not some outlandish prediction if we get who I think we will.

I love Tatum, but of those 6 guys, he was less efficient than everyone except Jones, and it was really close.

I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that Duke will lose 71.6 of it's 78.3 PPG and be better next year.

More fun, more exciting maybe. Hell, I hope you're right, but I suspect that it would be difficult, nigh, impossible to replace that production on offense.

I mean, assuming we even land Knox, Bamba and Duval, which would be unprecdented, how many points per game do you see from the 2017-18 roster?

rhfarmer said:
I love Tatum, but of those 6 guys, he was less efficient than everyone except Jones, and it was really close.

I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that Duke will lose 71.6 of it's 78.3 PPG and be better next year.

More fun, more exciting maybe. Hell, I hope you're right, but I suspect that it would be difficult, nigh, impossible to replace that production on offense.

I mean, assuming we even land Knox, Bamba and Duval, which would be unprecdented, how many points per game do you see from the 2017-18 roster?

Duval- 14 ppg
Frank- 14 ppg
Knox- 10 ppg
Carter- 14 ppg
Bamba- 10-12 ppg

Trent with 10 ppg off the bench. Maybe Bolden with 5 or 6 ppg. V and DeLaurier used sparingly.

That's how I'd roughly peg it. If 1 of Grayson/Luke returns (doubtful, IMO), drop everyone by 2 or 3 ppg.

Lots of options. Lots of top-flight talent. Everyone in their proper position.

I sweat to Thornton if I see one more person imply Amile Jefferson isn't a big loss, I'll McBob this joint

So we will have six guys, three of whom haven't committed, averaging 10-14 ppg. Seems consistent with history.

And if Luke or Grayson return, we now have seven guys averaging 7-11 ppg?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom