Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

6ights said:
6ights said:
Amile - gone
Jones - gone
Tatum - gone
Giles - gone
Jeter - transfer (more than likely)
Bolden - no idea
Allen - gone
Kennard - gone

When do you think is a realistic next year at making a title run?

Just don't see us building a roster, PG is going to be a issue for years to come (rely on 1 and dones). We can't defend. No vets.

I think next season - depending on who stays - will potentially be awful. Beyond that, I have no opinion.

Next season ranges from a very good top 10 team to a team that will struggle to make the tournament. At least there won't be the burden of expectations. Just enjoy the wins we do get.

At this point I'm looking forward to having zero expectations for the team. Will make the year much more palatable if we're terrible.

*Edit: Rome beat me to it.

Never had less of a sense of what the next season's team is going to look like. I assume it will feature a versatile NBA 3 used as a 4 because that's how you showcase NBA 3s in college, some good shooters, and tall guys sitting on the bench.

Range of scenarios:

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Jack White/Alex O'Connell
Javin DeLaurier/Wendell Carer
Carter/Weird A

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Luke Kennard or Grayson Allen
Javin DeLaurier/Carter
Wendell Carter/Weird A

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Kevin Knox/Carter
Wendell Carter/Vrank

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Wendell Carter
Mo Bamba

Trevon Duval/Jackson
Grayson Allen/Jackson
Luke Kennard
Kevin Knox/Carter
Mo Bamba/Carter

I could go on, depending on what Bolden does, etc. Those teams range from terrible to very, very good. Truth will probably be somewhere in the middle.

just not sure kennard or grayson are staying. think that makes or breaks us - clearly

rome8180 said:
Range of scenarios:

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Carter/Weird A

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Javin DeLaurier/Carter
Wendell Carter/Weird A

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Kevin Knox/Carter
Wendell Carter/Vrank

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Wendell Carter
Mo Bamba

Trevon Duval/Jackson
Grayson Allen/Jackson
Luke Kennard
Kevin Knox/Carter
Mo Bamba/Carter

I could go on, depending on what Bolden does, etc. Those teams range from terrible to very, very good. Truth will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Seems to be a lot of implied pessimism on Allen/Kennard today. Unfortunately I think most likely scenario is none of these (unless I missed one above). My guess, and I know nothing:

Duval
Jackson
Trent
Carter
Vrank

Bench is a rotation of Makai Mason/DeLaurier/White. But if you're the third person or lower in K's bench rotation, you might as well bring a kindle to the games.

This is not a good team by Duke standards. The shooting will be bad. The defense will be too young to be good. Thing is, if you stick either Allen or Kennard in and kick Trent to the bench, it looks like a top 5ish team. I do think Duke will have to have its first grad transfer ever, and it will be a guard.

rome8180 said:
Range of scenarios:

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Carter/Weird A

Frank Jackson
Gary Trent
Javin DeLaurier/Carter
Wendell Carter/Weird A

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Kevin Knox/Carter
Wendell Carter/Vrank

Trevon Duval
Frank Jackson
Kennard or Allen
Wendell Carter
Mo Bamba

Trevon Duval/Jackson
Grayson Allen/Jackson
Luke Kennard
Kevin Knox/Carter
Mo Bamba/Carter

Seems to be a lot of implied pessimism on Allen/Kennard today. Unfortunately I think most likely scenario is none of these (unless I missed one above). My guess, and I know nothing:

Duval
Jackson
Trent
Carter
Vrank

Bench is a rotation of Makai Mason/DeLaurier/White. But if you're the third person or lower in K's bench rotation, you might as well bring a kindle to the games.

This is not a good team by Duke standards. The shooting will be bad. The defense will be too young to be good. Thing is, if you stick either Allen or Kennard in and kick Trent to the bench, it looks like a top 5ish team. I do think Duke will have to have its first grad transfer ever, and it will be a guard.

I'm going to assume that everybody in the DX first round (that's Tatum, Kennard, Giles) is gone. I also think that Grayson and Duke will mutually part ways. I am not even all that certain that Jackson will stay, but he probably has the most to gain/least to lose from staying so I'll plug him in. We have two commits, right? I don't see any choice but to dip into the grad transfer pool.

Especially with K running out of time, I really don't think the parting of Allen and Duke will be "mutual". He may want to leave (understandably so), but I can't see a scenario where K doesn't want him back. He may still choose to leave, and Duke would appreciate the reasoning and be publicly supportive of course.

I would love it if in addition to Duval we brought in another human being who's a can conceivably dribble the ball. Even it's Andre Buckner 2.0. If we got Duval, and he and Jackson are playing on the same team in practice, who the hell is going to be guarding them?

And Shav, I don't know if you were being serious about Makai Mason, but I think his plan is to play at (and graduate from) Yale in 2017-18 and THEN grad transfer elsewhere.

Also, Former NBA coach Mike Brown's kid, Elijah Brown, will be a graduate transfer from New Mexico. Abysmal shooter this year (18.8 pts, 101 ORtg, 37% FG, 33% 3pt). Decent shooter and great scorer the previous year, though (21.7 pts, 43% FG, 40% 3pt, 85% FT, 111.6 ORtg, 60.4 TS%).

Strong kid, 6'4". Good assist rate and FT rate. I hope our coaches are calling him.

I had heard a lot of Mason talk at one point. I was being serious in that I do think Duke will pursue this route and his name so often comes up, but I had no idea of his situation.

He got hurt and redshirted this year, thus making him an optimal grad transfer, but after next season.

May be looking into something to quickly - just stumbled on this on my twitter feed from Wendell Carter - think its anything?

Duke Curse continued?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.11.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.11.12 PM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 332
You can post tweets here directly without going through any trouble. Just click "post reply" --> click "tweet" --> copy tweet URL.

Will look like [tweet] http://twitter.com/whatever [/tweet] but without the spaces. You can also just type the bracketed stuff out.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom