Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2018 NCAA Tournament

Beilein hired a defensive coordinator in the offseason after recognizing that years of shitty defense was hurting his team and that he alone wasn't equipped to fix the issue.

I had no idea Michigan had so many terrible FT shooters. That Simpson dude's routine was hilarious and he's still only at 51%. Not sure why FSU didn't foul them more.

That game was brutal to watch. FSU looked like five Duval's dribbling around the perimeter for 25 seconds before heaving up some garbage. Surprised they broke 50.

Does Lennie even know that intentionally fouling is a thing? After publicly quitting on his team like that, he should be thanking the basketball gods that he coaches at a school that doesn't give a shit about basketball. If I was the AD, I'd be pushing hard to get his ass fired. But, FSU. He'll be there until he dies.

Rooting for Loyola (+1) and FSU (+4) tonight because I want the biggest spread possible for the natty champer.

Rooting interests are pretty obvious from here. Loyola, FSU, Texas Tech, and Duke. Lots of heads will explode if those four comprise the FF.
K State is worse than Loyola

I want to see Duke beat Loyola in the title game with Grayson tripping their old nun out of her wheelchair, as DSon said on chat. Plus they actually beat us in the Final Four in 1963, so it would be nice to get revenge for that loss 55 years later.

Do it for DEVIL55 and Duke61

Yeah, my biggest worry with Kansas is not the threes but how adept KU guards have been year after year at throwing passes over the top of any defense. Carter will have to do a better job preventing lobs. Bolden was actually better at that that Carter vs. Cuse (though Carter improved as the game went on).

I've also learned that Graham shoots 100% from the top of the key within 30 feet.

What all are we doing to pass the time until the Nova game comes on?

I am anxious as fuck. I will be pacing by halftime of Nova. Right now I am petting my cat and listening to Jay-Z.

I say send DeLaurier in early and have him use up all of his fouls on semi-crippled Oozieboozie.

Are you aware of the number of injuries caused every year by large, young, overenthusiastic puppies?
Coaches: "Go get him, Javin! Go get the big guy, get the big guy, Javin! Who's a good boy? Javin's a good boy!!"

Get ready for a whole lot of this

I think this game is a pretty poor indicator of whether or not Kansas is good/not good vs the zone, and I have a couple of reasons for this. During this game, Syracuse was still very young- the Syracuse zone is much better today than it was in early December. They were starting two players first year players (Brissett and Moyer) and Dolezaj was getting 23 minutes off the bench, and another freshman Sidibe was getting 17 minutes off the bench. When you consider how challenged offensively, how little depth they had due to NCAA sanctions, and how weak their freshman class was (Brissett and Sidibe were both 3-stars) it was really an unreal coaching job by Jim Boeheim.

Back to the zone- if they had to play today, Kansas would not have such an easy time vs the zone. Kansas had literally played Washington the game before they played Syracuse, which gave them great prep for Syracuse. Kansas lost to Washington and only scored 65 points. Washington extended the zone to take away the 3pt shot and Kansas went 5-20 from 3. Graham only had 3 points, which surely won't happen tonight, but, Legerald Vick had 28 points, which shouldn't happen tonight either.

I think the zone will hold up tonight. We have gotten great experience vs Notre Dame and UNC playing great 3pt shooting teams with a playmaker in the high post to hurt us on the interior (Colson and Pinson) and the type of IQ/ball movement to really stretch the zone. Kansas can definitely shoot the ball because they go 4/5 guards, but I don't think Kansas is as high IQ as either UNC or Notre Dame, and I don't think Kansas has someone to put into the high post on nearly the same level as Colson or Pinson.

While Rhode Island and Iona aren't nearly as good as Kansas, both of those teams have provided us prep for Kansas, since both teams play 4-5 guards. I think K using the 3-2 zone against Iona and getting it game action definitely puts it in play for tonight. I think he would have used it against URI but didn't need to, so he elected to keep it off film for opposing scouts as much as possible.

I don't think you can take too much from either Washington or Syracuse games vs Kansas since they were in December, but I think the game which has more value in it is the Washington game because it more resembles our game tonight. Like Washington, Kansas has no game prep against zone recently, and I would imagine that the last time they played against zone that was any good was in December vs Washington and Syracuse. They have one day to prepare for our zone, which is a very good zone defense, and they haven't played against a good zone since early December. They have essentially gone 3 whole months without any experience vs it.

Again, I think it holds up tonight, but we will see. My biggest worry is that in front of a warm crowd (KU should have like 70-80% of the crowd, unless Duke fans really put up a great showing) and in a sold out arena, KU will just get hot and bury 3 after 3 regardless of range and how well it is contested. But, I think the zone will be good, I'm just afraid KU will make repeated indefensible shots from deep.

We’ve played Kansas a lot, I’m guessing as frequently as any other non-conference opponent, in the OAD era. All three games were with repulsive Duke teams. 2012, 2014, 2017. At least Kansas might see a good Duke basketball team today.

2011-12: The Tyler Thornton Game

2013-14: The Top Three Picks in the NBA Draft

2016-17: Tatum, Giles, Bolden, Obi (DNP - Protecting Draft Position or Too Fat)

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom