Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2018 NCAA Tournament

That charge call is something I won't get over for a while.

I actually thought we got a decent whistle the rest of the game and that Carter could have fouled out well before that on that bump of the Kansas player where we ended up getting the ball even though the Kansas player didn't even step out of bounds (I believe). So I'm not really worked up about the block call even though I agree it was not correct.
They said the ball hit the line, not his foot. It was super close in the replay I saw and honestly couldn't tell. But I agree, I think it was fairly evenly called. We got an out of bounds call our way and I think bagley was mugged a lot. It's just tough when that one call completely changed the call. Most calls don't do that.

The guy dribbled out of bounds. It was the correct call. There was also a great one where a KU player turned around and dribbled right into Duval who happened to be standing there, and they called a blocking foul. They didn’t do so hot with the blocking fouls.

I missed that then. I was in a crowded room watching without being able to hear commentators. So I stand corrected on that. It just didn’t feel like a poorly called game overall.

The guy dribbled out of bounds. It was the correct call. There was also a great one where a KU player turned around and dribbled right into Duval who happened to be standing there, and they called a blocking foul. They didn’t do so hot with the blocking fouls.

I missed that then. I was in a crowded room watching without being able to hear commentators. So I stand corrected on that. It just didn’t feel like a poorly called game overall.
Agreed. If we were getting hosed on calls all game, the Carter block/charge would have been expected even if incorrect. However, it stood out even more for me exactly because the refs seemed to not be making any egregiously bad calls against us. They let some manhandling of Bagley go, which definitely hurt us because if KU had to stop playing him as physically he would have been freed for more offensive rebounds. But they let stuff go for us, as well, such as that bump that Carter had on Svi (I think?) that made him dribble out of bounds and gave us the ball (as @StopThePumpFakesShav mentioned). Refs ALWAYS call that when the player is forced OOB and turns it over. And plays like that have been called against Carter all year. So they actually let us play with Carter longer than they should have :wink:. How often has Carter actually stepped in to take a charge? I wonder why he decided to do that vs. just sticking to verticality and going for the block like he usually does.

Would we have lost by more or less than Kansas? Our defense was much better than Kansas's and it certainly guarded the three-point line better.

We only had one double-digit loss all season, right? And it was pre-zone. Kansas had several, though, including a few times when they just got worked.

Duke seemed less susceptible to blowouts than Kansas did, but on the other hand, Nova looked immune to defense last night.

Interestingly, Nova *only* shot 45% from 3. Pundits were all salivating about how hot they were from 3, but they shot 40% for the season, with the most makes in NCAA single season history.

On their volume of attempts last night, they made 2 more threes than would be expected over their season average.

Nova passes the ball so well, they had 20 assists last night with 9 TOs. Brunson had 6 of those assists so it's not just him setting others up. They play very unseIfishIy.

With one year left in the decade, here are the NCAA Tournament splits for all the teams with a Final Four appearance since 2010:

School-Apps-Record-FFs-Titles
Duke 9 - 23-7 - 2 - 2
Villanova 8 - 16-6 - 2 - 2
UConn 4 - 13-2 - 2 - 2
Kentucky 8 - 28-7 - 4 - 1
UNC 8 - 22-7 - 2 - 1
Louisville 7 - 16-6 - 2 - 1 (15 wins, both FFs, and title vacated)
Kansas 9 - 23-9 - 2 - 0
Wisconsin 8 - 18-8 - 2 - 0
Syracuse 7 - 18-7 - 2 - 0 (4 wins vacated)
Michigan 7 - 17-7 - 2 - 0
Michigan St 9 - 17-9 - 2 - 0
Florida 7 - 17-7 - 1 - 0
Gonzaga 9 - 17-9 - 1 - 0
Butler 7 - 16-7 - 2 - 0
Ohio St. 7 - 13-7 - 1 - 0
West Virginia 7 - 11-7 - 1 - 0
Oregon 5 - 11-5 - 1 - 0
Wichita St 7 - 10-7 - 1 - 0
VCU 7 - 8-7 - 1 - 0
Oklahoma 5 - 6-5 - 1 - 0
South Carolina 1 - 4-1 - 1 - 0
Loyola 1 - 4-1 - 1 - 0

2010 was obviously part of a much different era of Duke basketball, but it was the start of the decade and the year that Calipari arrived at Kentucky, which really marked the beginning of the OAD era as we know it today, so it's as good a starting point as any. Despite the disasters that were 2012, 2014, and 2017, Duke arguably has the best tournament resume over the past nine seasons, bagging two titles while being tied for the second-most wins. Villanova and UConn (LOL) have also managed multiple championships, but with less overall success.

Kentucky has the most wins and made it to two more Final Fours than any other team, but only managed one title in this timeframe, a massive underachievement (Kentucky-Forum was probably shut down after 2015). UNC has sadly had a good decade too, although Kentucky has been better on the whole, in spite of their inability to stop Luke Maye in 2017. Louisville's Final Fours and title never happened (tell that to 2013 Duke), so I'm not going to say anything further about them.

Kansas has had the most success of the programs without a title this decade, making it to two Final Four's and being tied for the second-most wins, thanks to Coach K, Grayson Allen, and Roger Ayers. After the Jayhawks, you could easily rank Wisconsin, Syracuse, Michigan, Michigan St., and Butler in any order, as their tournament profiles are very similar. I'd probably give a slight edge to Wisconsin and Michigan over the others, but its close.

This was probably a rather boring post, but crunching the numbers has made me feel marginally better about the last nine seasons of Duke basketball, so hopefully it will have the same effect for some of you other miserable assholes.

Fuck off with UCONN being in 4 NCAA Tournaments and winning two titles. That is such horse shit luck.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom