Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 3 Texas Tech (NCAA Tournament S16)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say them barely turning it over is unlucky. That was literally the fewest turnovers they've had all season with the exception of the Providence game. They've played far worse defenses than us and at slower paces. You would expect 12+ turnovers even if we did absolutely nothing to force them.

Maybe a tiny bit of bad luck, but we're also the #309 defense at forcing turnovers. Looks like they were less than 3 below their average, and about the same below our average forced. You could get within a point of offsetting that just from bringing their FT shooting up to average.

This has their average turnovers at 13.6. And the box score has 8 turnovers for them. So 5.6 below their average. That's 42% less than normal.

Last edited:
It didn't end up biting us, but can someone explain why the hell the arrow is used to decide who should get the ball after a wedgie on a FT? That seems like the worst rule ever. The shooter misses it badly, but the team is rewarded with a free offensive rebound when they probably had a 5% chance of getting an offensive rebound off a normal FT miss.

Last edited:
Yeah, that rule is bullshit. I kind of get it when that happens on any other shot, but on a FT it should go to the defense. Jump ball should only be activated for ~50/50 situations, not 95/5. Luckily it didn't cost us, but that should be changed, though I'm sure it only happens one time in a million.

Another piece of bad luck, I suppose, was Bananner drilling guarded 30 footers as a 33% shooter. The announcers, including Grant Hill, saying "he can make them from out there" was particularly annoying.

On a completely unrelated note,. Adonis Arms has to be the stupidest and coolest name ever.

I thought the zone looked really effective tonight for it being one of the only times we've used it this season. It was weird to me that we used it with a smaller lineup.

W
I thought the zone looked really effective tonight for it being one of the only times we've used it this season. It was weird to me that we used it with a smaller lineup.
Scheyer was the one who pointed out the zone was extended too far given the opponent. After the successful cuts in the seams, it was packed in and became effective.

As for attacking those gaps: Yeah, coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer noticed it immediately. And in a sign of ceding to the succession plan, in one second-half huddle, when Krzyzewski noticed Scheyer wanted to speak, he allowed it. “No, go ahead.” So Scheyer did, communicating that Duke’s zone was extended too far out, and then Krzyzewski picked back up right where he’d left off, one in-game baton pass back-and-forth, before the big one after this season.

the athletic

It didn't end up biting us, but can someone explain why the hell the arrow is used to decide who should get the ball after a wedgie on a FT? That seems like the worst rule ever. The shooter misses it badly, but the team is rewarded with a free offensive rebound when they probably had a 5% chance of getting an offensive rebound off a normal FT miss.
I think the rule should be changed, but it really just comes down to the fact that it's technically a live-ball. So the lack of any special consideration in the rule makes the ruling fairly clear.

So mixed results. We actually did better than expected vs MSU based on shot quality metrics (how much of this was true though when they didn't start taking desperation shots until the last two minutes?)

But... we did get a little unlucky against TTech:

Overall essentially a wash. So I guess we really are what we appear to be: 2015 Wisconsin. But at least another takeaway is we aren't getting lucky on offense either, we're getting the shots we want and executing on a high level

Last edited:
The good news about being 2015 Wisconsin is there is no 2015 Kentucky or Duke.

So mixed results. We actually did better than expected vs MSU based on shot quality metrics (how much of this was true though when they didn't start taking desperation shots until the last two minutes?)

But... we did get a little unlucky against TTech:

Overall essentially a wash. So I guess we really are what we appear to be: 2015 Wisconsin. But at least another takeaway is we aren't getting lucky on offense either, we're getting the shots we want and executing on a high level

Where does the data for this analysis come from? Is it mostly proprietary? I couldn't find anything on their website.

^^^^

FOrI35jVsAQXD0_.jpg

this validates my eye test they made some bullshit over Mark in the 2H. But man we kill ourselves giving away so many points off live ball turnovers needlessly.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom